Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Rum-Cured Salmon Summer Rolls

I purchased a gorgeous salmon filet and I wanted to try something a little different so I decided to try and cure it.  The process is so very simple and the results, well all I can say is that everyone who tasted the salmon wanted more, more and more!  We enjoyed the rum-cured salmon for breakfast with eggs, as a snack on crackers with a bit of Crème fraiche, but our favorite way to eat the salmon was in these summer rolls.   These are a great appetizer or even a light lunch, either way they’re delicious!

IMG_8470Rum Cured Salmon Summer Rolls

To cure salmon:
1 cup (lightly packed) chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup kosher salt
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh ginger
3 TBS. Sichuan peppercorns, cracked
one 2-pound fresh salmon fillet with skin still attached (I use steelhead salmon)
1/3 cup dark rum

In a bowl, combine the cilantro, brown sugar, salt, ginger and Sichuan peppercorns.

Place the salmon in a large glass baking dish, skin side down. Drizzle the rum over the salmon and then press the cilantro mixture evenly over the fish.

Lay a piece of plastic wrap over the salmon, covering completely. Place a second, smaller baking dish or pan directly on top of the covered salmon and then place about 5-pounds of weight on top of that. Refrigerate for no less than 18 hours and no more than 24.

After salmon has cured, scrape off the curing mixture and discard. Using a sharp knife, cut the salmon into thin slices on the diagonal. Store the salmon for up to a week in a tightly sealed, air squeezed out, Ziplock bag.


To make the summer rolls:
Spring roll wrappers
thin slices of rum-cured salmon
Veggies of your choice but I used:
spinach
cucumber, seeded and sliced into 1/4-inch strips
carrot, peeled and julienned

Working one at a time, quickly soak the spring roll wrapper in a bowl of hot water until it just begins to soften, about 5 seconds and then place on a cutting board. On the lower half first lay a slice or two of the salmon, top with some spinach leaves, two or three cucumber strips and some carrots. Roll the part of the spring roll wrapper closest to you over the fillings and then fold in the sides before rolling the rest of the roll away from you until it's a nice tight roll.

Slice in half or eat whole.

Enjoy!!

2 comments:

  1. Can I seriously just say,

    "YUM!"

    That looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. My. Goodness. WOW.

    WOW!

    Okay, I have that out of my system.

    Sorry, not yet.

    WOW!

    ReplyDelete

I love and adore your wonderful comments, so please don't be shy and let me know that you visited.

I also love responding to your comments but I can't do that if you're a no-reply blogger. Please link your e-mail up to your profile so that I can reply to you.

It's a simple change and here's how you do it.

1. From your PROFILE, go to your DASHBOARD.
2. Go to EDIT PROFILE
3. Click 'SHARE MY PROFILE'
4. Click 'SHOW MY E-MAIL ADDRESS'
5. Enter in your e-mail address.

Easy-peasy and now I can reply to all your e-mails and questions!

Related Posts with Thumbnails