This is a delicious, creamy, spicy, hearty, filling soup and a great way to use up leftover chicken. We enjoy the soup quite hot and spicy but you can mellow it out some by either removing the seeds from the jalapenos or using less of them. Also, we use white meat in the soup but if you have a preference for dark meat, go for it!
- 2 chicken breast halves, roasted, skin & bones removed, shredded
- 1 lb bacon, cut crosswise in 1/8-in strips
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4-6 whole jalapenos, stems removed, sliced in thin 1/2 rounds
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups cheaters chicken soup, or chicken stock of your choice
- 6 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 oz. block of cream cheese, cut in chunks
- salt & pepper to taste
In a soup pot, slowly cook the bacon pieces until crispy. Remove the bacon from the pot and set aside, leaving the fat behind. To the fat add the onion and sauté until golden. Add the jalapenos and garlic and sauté until the jalapenos and garlic are fragrant and softened. Remove half of the onion/jalapeno mix and set aside with the reserved bacon. Add the chicken broth to the pot and bring to a simmer. Stir in the cheddar cheese and while stirring, allow it to melt. Add the cream cheese and using a hand blender, blend until fully mixed and creamy. Return the soup to a simmer and add in the shredded chicken and reserved bacon and onion/jalapenos. Allow to simmer for a few minutes and season to taste with salt & pepper.