Friday, February 8, 2013

Baked Reuben Casserole

IMG_5912eI don’t remember where I first saw a recipe for this casserole but as soon as I did, I knew that I had to make it for Eammon as he adores Reuben sandwiches so I thought this would be perfect for him.  I know that once I decided to make this Reuben Casserole I searched the internet and found numerous variations and put together this recipe.

IMG_5895eThe casserole was simple to put together and Eammon (and my Dad who also enjoyed some) said that it tasted just like a delicious Reuben sandwich.  I have never tried a Reuben sandwich as I don’t care for rye bread, corned beef, sauerkraut or Thousand Island salad dressing so I’m totally taking their word on how this casserole tasted but with the amount that they both ate…well it had to be good.

IMG_5920eBaked Reuben Casserole

Preheat oven to 350F.  Coat an 8x8-inch casserole dish with cooking spray.  Cut three pieces of the bread into 1-inch cubes and line the bottom of the dish with them.  Place half of the corned beef over the cubed bread and lightly press down the layers as you go.  Spread the sauerkraut evenly over the corned beef and then top with half of the shredded cheese.  Evenly sprinkle the cheese with the caraway seeds.  Evenly spread the remaining corned beef over the previous layers and finish with the remaining cheese.  

In a small bowl whisk the eggs, milk, cream, Thousand Island dressing, mustard & ground pepper until fully mixed.  Pour the egg mixture over the casserole and allow it to sit and sink in for 10 minutes. 

Finely dice the remaining two slices of bread and spread it over the casserole.  Bake for 60 minutes, until the top is golden brown and the casserole is set in the middle.  Check the casserole after 45 minutes and if the bread crumbs are beginning to get too dark, lightly tent the casserole with aluminum foil during the last 15 minutes of cooking.  Once the casserole is fully cooked, remove from the oven and allow it to rest for 15 minutes before cutting and serving. 

Enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. YUM YUM! Big reuben fan and this looks just delicious. Hungry for lunch now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this dish good if you refrigerate and reheat? I do a lot of meal prep and have leftovers and was wondering if it would still taste good a few days later? LOOKS AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is this dish good after refrigerated and reheated? I do a lot of meal prepping and eat leftovers so I was wondering if it would still taste good after a few days? LOOKS AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is this still tasty a few days later? Can you refrigerate and reheat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll let you know... I'm making this for brunch today. I'm doubling the recipe and plan to gaff left overs.

      Delete
    2. My family devoured this dish and only left one serving size to refrigerate. To answer your question, this dish was awesome warmed up today!

      Delete

I love and adore your wonderful comments, so please don't be shy and let me know that you visited.

I also love responding to your comments but I can't do that if you're a no-reply blogger. Please link your e-mail up to your profile so that I can reply to you.

It's a simple change and here's how you do it.

1. From your PROFILE, go to your DASHBOARD.
2. Go to EDIT PROFILE
3. Click 'SHARE MY PROFILE'
4. Click 'SHOW MY E-MAIL ADDRESS'
5. Enter in your e-mail address.

Easy-peasy and now I can reply to all your e-mails and questions!

Related Posts with Thumbnails