- 3 pounds well-trimmed boneless beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 large onions, sliced
- 12 whole cloves
- 8 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper flakes
- 13.5 oz. can coconut milk, or lite coconut milk
- 1/2 cup milk, skim, 1%, 2% or whole
- 6 plum tomatoes, cut into 8ths
- 1/3 cup raisins, regular or golden raisins
- 5 tablespoons Major Grey chutney
- 5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- salt & pepper
Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a heavy Dutch oven over high heat. Working in batches, add beef to pot and brown on all sides, about 7 minutes per batch. Using a slotted spoon, transfer meat to a plate.
Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil in the same pot over medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté until tender and brown, about 7 minutes.
Return the beef to the pot. Add cloves, garlic, cinnamon sticks, bay leaves and dried red pepper to pot; stir 1 minute.
Stir in coconut milk, milk, tomatoes, raisins, chutney, lemon juice, ginger, curry powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt and bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until beef is tender, stirring occasionally, about 2 hours or place covered in a 350F oven for two hours and then follow directions below.
Uncover and increase heat to medium. Boil stew until juices are slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. I serve this over jasmine rice or Cauli-Rice.