Monday, September 26, 2011

Walnut Roca Squares

I was reading Michael Ann’s The Big Green Bowl and she posted a recipe for Almond Roca Squares and as I absolutely adore Almond Roca and I just happened to have all the ingredients in the house, I made her cookies that very night.  Though obviously not exactly like the candy, there was something similar in the taste of these squares to Almond Roca and just like the candy they were delicious and quite addictive.  Of course that first batch is long gone as it is now weeks later that I’m posting about them but these simple little treats were easy and delicious and will be made again and again.  IMG_0456eWalnut Roca Squares (adapted from here)

1 cup butter
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup chocolate chips (Mini ones work best, but regular ones are fine too.)
1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 325F and line a 9-by-13-inch pan with foil.  In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugars together for about one minute until creamy. Add the egg and beat until smooth.  Add the flour and salt and beat for another minute. Spread mixture into your foil lined, ungreased 13x9" pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and sprinkle the chocolate chips onto the dough. Return the pan to oven for just a minute to melt the chocolate and then remove again and spread the chocolate gently with an offset spatula.  Sprinkle the warm chocolate with the walnuts. Let cool completely and then lifting by the foil, remove the bars from the pan in one big piece.  Peel off the foil and place the big piece onto a cutting board and cut into squares. 

Enjoy!

10 comments:

  1. Added to my must make list. I have everything on hand to give these a try. Can't wait. They look so delicious. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I will make these, but with almonds, not walnuts! (Not a walnut fan.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously, I don't know how you do it. YOu are amazing! I need to cook everyday like this. Tonight we had a frozen dinner, but tomorrow night....your soup is on!

    If I didn't have football with Alex most nights I would try every thing you suggest.

    Hope you are feeling well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back, Lisa! How did miss these almond roca squares? I have to make these ASAP. I adore almond roca, and never even imagined them as a bar cookie, but it makes complete sense! Bookmarked! That said, how was your cruise? I'm so looking forward to hearing about it! Oh..BTW, you can always incorporate candied bacon into any prepared dough, for Maisie, even the tubed croissant dough - or just buy a few croissants, split them and toast with cheese on top of the candied bacon (although I know you already know that and have been probabaly thinking of it lol)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa - I'm so glad you found your recipe at my blog. I intended to send you a note to let you know, but it got left on the back burner. Thanks for your nice comment...and for sharing such awesome recipes. Enjoy a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a GREAT recipe! I would love it if you came over to CAST PARTY WEDNESDAY and shared it with us. Thanks, I hope to see you there!
    http://ladybehindthecurtain.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lisa,
    Your Roca Squares are awesome! Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful recipe with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you are having a great week end and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is going to sound dumb, but I have no idea what an almond roca is...

    Amy @ A Little Nosh

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just wanted to let you know your recipe was featured on this week's What's Cooking Wednesday!

    I hope you'll stop by and link up more great recipes :)

    ReplyDelete

I love and adore your wonderful comments, so please don't be shy and let me know that you visited.

I also love responding to your comments but I can't do that if you're a no-reply blogger. Please link your e-mail up to your profile so that I can reply to you.

It's a simple change and here's how you do it.

1. From your PROFILE, go to your DASHBOARD.
2. Go to EDIT PROFILE
3. Click 'SHARE MY PROFILE'
4. Click 'SHOW MY E-MAIL ADDRESS'
5. Enter in your e-mail address.

Easy-peasy and now I can reply to all your e-mails and questions!

Related Posts with Thumbnails