Saturday, December 24, 2011

Creamed Corn with Cheese and Cilantro

IMG_2325eOver the top, off the charts and outrageously delicious is the only way to describe this creamed corn  Oh my word, to say that we enjoyed this corn would be an understatement because I think I may have licked the bowl clean…okay, I did lick the bowl clean.  When I wrote this months Secret Recipe Club post I stated that I would be making and posting more recipes from Si’s A Bountiful Kitchen and here I am, true to my word.  I made Si’s Cheesy Creamed Corn with Cilantro the same night that I prepared her Texas Grilled Chicken with Lime Butter and what a delicious meal we had.  My poor little Maisie Miao Miao, who can’t eat this anymore, gobbled this corn up and I’m so sad that I can’t make it again for her exactly like before because she loved it.  I’m going to have to make this corn when she’s not around…or maybe not as I could eat the entire bowl, it’s just that good.  Since there are only three of us, I halved the original recipe which was good and bad…good because it created some form of portion control and bad… well because it created some form of portion control.  I honestly could have over-eaten myself sick on this and even now just typing up the post and seeing the pictures, I’m craving this corn.  Run, don’t walk and make this recipe, you won’t be sorry!

IMG_2328e

Creamed Corn with Cheese and Cilantro (adapted from here)

1 1/2 TBS butter
3/4 cup chopped scallions
1 large garlic clove, finely minced
4 cups frozen corn
2/3 cup heavy cream
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. fresh ground pepper
1 tsp. cornstarch
3 ounces queso fresco, crumbled, plus a little extra for garnish
1/2 cup grated extra sharp white cheddar, plus a little extra for garnish
1/4 cup grated Parmesan, plus a little extra for garnish
2/3 cup cilantro sprigs, chopped.  plus extra leaves for garnish

Heat butter in a deep 12-inch heavy skillet over medium-high heat until foam subsides.  Cook scallions stirring occasionally until softened, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until the garlic is softened a bit.  Add the corn, salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, 5-7 minutes.
Stir together the cream and cornstarch in a small bowl until thoroughly combined and then add to the corn and simmer, stirring until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes. Using an immersion blender, place it in the pan and pulse in several places blending about a third of the corn mixture. Stir in the queso fresco, grated white cheddar, Parmesan and chopped cilantro and stir to mix.  Transfer corn to a large shallow serving bowl. Sprinkle on additional cheese and garnish with cilantro.

Enjoy!!

4 comments:

  1. Good gracious, another one I have to add to my list of "must try." Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lisa I loved this recipe as well. It's a perfect holiday dish...a little traditional, a little new. Thanks for sharing Merry Christmas to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mhmm I love creamed corn. This looks absolutely delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I won't lie... your picture has me drooling a little! Looks delicious!

    Thanks for linking up to What's New Wednesdays! I hope you'll stop by and link up more amazing stuff on today's What's New Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete

I love and adore your wonderful comments, so please don't be shy and let me know that you visited.

I also love responding to your comments but I can't do that if you're a no-reply blogger. Please link your e-mail up to your profile so that I can reply to you.

It's a simple change and here's how you do it.

1. From your PROFILE, go to your DASHBOARD.
2. Go to EDIT PROFILE
3. Click 'SHARE MY PROFILE'
4. Click 'SHOW MY E-MAIL ADDRESS'
5. Enter in your e-mail address.

Easy-peasy and now I can reply to all your e-mails and questions!

Related Posts with Thumbnails