Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Potato Crusted Pork Chops

IMG_2447eBefore we left for Aruba I was walking through the grocery and had a major AHA moment when I happened to notice an end cap filled with boxes of something I’ve never purchased, potato flakes and I realized that they looked just like panko.  It dawned on Marblehead here that I could use them to “bread” pork, chicken or fish, making some of our favorite meals “safe” for Maisie and her food allergies.  I am really starting to find my way and though a bit of a pain in the tush, it is interesting to find new ways of making meals so that Maisie can continue to enjoy some of her favorite foods in a new and safe way and soon it will be my norm in cooking.  Once I got home with the potato flakes I looked up recipes on the web and sure enough there were dozens of them.  Most said dip the meat in an egg wash and coat with the potato flakes but obviously that wasn’t going to work for Maisie as she can’t have egg whites.  So I just lightly coated the meat with a little peanut oil and then the potato flakes which I seasoned with some garlic powder, salt, pepper and Italian seasonings and I baked the pork the way I always have and it worked out wonderfully.  The seasoned potato flakes were delicious and we we enjoyed one of our favorite meals in the new “safe for Maisie” way.

IMG_2444ePotato Crusted Pork Chops

2 boneless pork chops
1/2 cup potato flakes 
1 tsp. Italian seasoning 
1 tsp. garlic powder
salt to taste
pepper to taste
Peanut or oil of your choice 

Preheat oven to 450F.  Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly oil.  In a bowl mix together the potato flakes, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt & pepper.  Lightly coat the pork chops with oil and then dip into the potato flake mixture covering all sides of the pork.  Place the pork on prepared baking sheet.  Bake 20 minutes or until cooked though.

Enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa! Just wanted to drop a line and let you know how much I enjoy reading your blog. This is why I'm passing on the Liebster Blog Award to you. http://flipcookbook.com/2011/12/tex-mex-queso-liebster-blog-award-love/

    Hope you have a wonderful time celebrating the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic idea to use dehydrated potato flakes for breading! Bow Maisi can have her cutlets, chops, with a lovely crisp bite! They look incredible, Lisa! You're such a creative cook! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, long time reader of you blog,love your recipes.
    Just wondered if you have noticed a difference in Maisie's health since she has been on her new diet?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! I never would have thought of using potato flakes as a coating. You are doing such a great job with finding great substitutions for Maisie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just remembered something that I use when I bread foods: stone ground mustard. I don't know if it's 'Maisie' safe but when you mix it up with something like buttermilk(or in her case, a milk alternative) it makes a good first layer!! And it's tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Since I don't know just what Maisie is allergic too I'm not sure if this will work for you. I bake chicken and use instant mash potatoes add Parmesan cheese, garlic, salt and pepper. Mix all of those together dip chicken in melted butter and then in breading. I can't give you exact measurements cause I am a dump and pour kinda of cook. You could use this with pork chops also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recipe suggestion, it sounds wonderful. Maisie though is allergic to wheat, egg and dairy so I'll have to save this one for Eammon and I.

      Delete

I love and adore your wonderful comments, so please don't be shy and let me know that you visited.

I also love responding to your comments but I can't do that if you're a no-reply blogger. Please link your e-mail up to your profile so that I can reply to you.

It's a simple change and here's how you do it.

1. From your PROFILE, go to your DASHBOARD.
2. Go to EDIT PROFILE
3. Click 'SHARE MY PROFILE'
4. Click 'SHOW MY E-MAIL ADDRESS'
5. Enter in your e-mail address.

Easy-peasy and now I can reply to all your e-mails and questions!

Related Posts with Thumbnails