Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Baked Meatballs

IMG_3310eMaisie adores meatballs and last week she asked for some and as they’re so simple to make I whipped up a batch.  Because of Maisie’s allergies I don’t use eggs or bread crumbs when making the meatballs.  To substitute for the egg I use chia seeds and for the bread I use potato flakes.  To add some extra calories I also incorporate ground walnuts into the mixture and they add a really nice texture to the finished meatball.  These meatballs have great flavor and texture and I love that Maisie adores them and will easily eat six to eight of them at one go.  Maisie enjoys eating the meatballs dipped either in ketchup or bbq sauce but they’re also delicious over pasta with a sauce or as part of a meatball sub sandwich. 

 IMG_3520eEverything goes in one bowl and is mixed together,

 IMG_3304eI portion out the meat using a large cookie scoop then roll the scoops into balls before placing them on a foil lined baking sheet.  Twenty minutes in the oven and Maisie’s meatballs are ready to serve.

IMG_3307eBaked Meatballs

Preheat oven to 400F. 

Line a sheet pan with foil and coat with cooking spray.  In a medium bowl add the hot water and chia seeds and mix well.  Allow the chia seeds to hydrate for five minutes.  Add all the other ingredients and using your hands mix well.  Using a large cookie scoop portion out the meat.  Roll the portioned out meat into balls and place the meatballs on a the prepared pan.  Bake for 20 minutes, until cooked through.  Serve with sauce or as Maisie likes them, with a side of ketchup or bbq sauce.

Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. Using potato flakes in place of breadcrumbs is a great idea! I've been subbing in oatmeal in meatballs and meatloaf with success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Brianne, Oatmeal is great too. I really like the meat & potato taste that the potato flakes add but either one works.

      Delete
  2. wow, it sounds so yummy...my kids will love this! thanks for sharing your recipe! visiting from FTF, hope you can visit me back. thanks and have a great week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lisa,

    zuuzs is hosting a Spring Recipe Challenge and I'd like to invite you to join! It's a great opportunity for you to promote your blog and showcase your recipe in front of thousands of people. Plus, there's prizes including a $500 Gift Card for the Grand Prize and three $200 Gift Cards as the top Category prizes you can use to buy kitchen related wares.

    Please visit this post full contest details and how you can participate: http://www.simplystacie.net/2012/03/calling-all-cooks-join-the-zuuzs-grand-spring-recipe-challenge/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea to bake meatballs...I always fry them and it makes such a mess! I'll do it your way next time :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to bake meatballs and these look absolutely delicious, Lisa! Thanks for reminding me that I need to do this sometime soon. Lovely recipe!

    ReplyDelete

I love and adore your wonderful comments, so please don't be shy and let me know that you visited.

I also love responding to your comments but I can't do that if you're a no-reply blogger. Please link your e-mail up to your profile so that I can reply to you.

It's a simple change and here's how you do it.

1. From your PROFILE, go to your DASHBOARD.
2. Go to EDIT PROFILE
3. Click 'SHARE MY PROFILE'
4. Click 'SHOW MY E-MAIL ADDRESS'
5. Enter in your e-mail address.

Easy-peasy and now I can reply to all your e-mails and questions!

Related Posts with Thumbnails