Monday, March 5, 2012

Broiled Sushi

IMG_3408e I love being a member of The Secret Recipe Club and each month I’m excited to receive my Secret Recipe Club assignment to see who I’ve been assigned.  Just as in months past, as soon as I received the email from our Group ‘A’ hostess Jane, which contained all the information for my assigned blog, I was off stalking it.  This month I was assigned Lisa’s Sweet as Sugar Cookies which is a wonderful blog filled with dozens and dozens of sweet treat recipes as well as some main dishes.  I looked at so many of Lisa’s bar, cookie and ice cream recipes and there were just dozens that I wanted to make but because of Maisie’s allergies she can’t really eat most of the sweets and the fact that neither Eammon nor I really need to be eating sweets right now I decided to look at the main dish recipes.  Once I saw Lisa’s recipe for Broiled Sushi I knew that I had found my recipe. 

I’ll bet that it was less than four hours from the time I opened the email containing my assignment to the time that I served this meal.  As it worked out I opened the email late on a Sunday morning and as I didn’t have any plans for meals that day and the fact that I had everything I needed to make this in my pantry and freezer…well it was meant to be.  I got my mushrooms and sushi rice soaking and I pulled a package of imitation crab meat from the freezer and got that defrosting and then I was good to go.  This dish came together in no time at all and Eammon especially adored it and ate it for meal after meal until he finished the entire dish.  Surprisingly for me, I didn’t change Lisa’s recipe at all, I made it exactly as written and when I make it again, which I will, I wouldn’t change a thing…well maybe I would make one of her wonderful looking sweets to enjoy after the Broiled Sushi.  Oh and if you’re turning your nose up thinking sushi = raw fish well not in this dish, as there’s nothing raw, just wonderful flavors so give it a try.

IMG_3359eIn a large bowl mix together the mushrooms, crab meat, sour cream and mayonnaise.

IMG_3349eSpread a layer of sushi rice in a baking dish.

IMG_3361eSprinkle the rice layer with furikake.

IMG_3364eAdd the crab & mushroom mixture and it’s ready for the broiler.

IMG_3394eBubbly and lightly browned, fresh from the broiler.

IMG_3354eFurikake and roasted laver (Gim).  I keep both the sheets and the individual packets of Gim in the house.  The sheets are when we eat at home and the small packets I send with Maisie for snack at school and at the gym.  To see our no-mess way of cutting the sheets into neat little squares, click here.

IMG_3406eBroiled Sushi  (from here)

In a large bowl combine the chopped mushrooms, crab meat, sour cream and mayonnaise and stir to combine  Spray a 9 x13-inch Pyrex with cooking spray and spread the sushi rice in an even layer.  Sprinkle with furikake seasoning. Spread with the crab meat mixture. Put under the broiler for about 10 minutes until the top begins to brown. Serve with Sriracha.  Scoop into pieces of Gim, and eat.

Enjoy!

My previous Secret Recipe Club Recipe Posts:


Health(ier) Peanut Brittle 
Crunchy Fudgy Heart Bites 
Texas Chicken with Lime Butter 
Pork Belly Soup with Collard Greens 
Thin Mint Irish Coffee 
Levain Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies 
Welsh Cakes 
Nutella Crêpes 
Cilantro Lime Chicken 
Holy Guacamole 
and
Home Style Chicken Curry

28 comments:

  1. I've never heard of broiled sushi before. How interesting! I love how colorful it is. Pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a unique and fun idea - so cool! Great SRC choice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never seen anything like this! Sushi in casserole form! Too cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW, how unique and tasty! Sushi sushi!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an easy, clever twist on Sushi. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you enjoyed this. It's definitely one of my family's favorite dishes. And I love your idea of putting sriracha sauce on it (we are crazy about that stuff at our house). Gonna have to tell my family to do that next time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, so I do turn my nose up at sushi, but this looks *really* good. Now, how to get the non-seafood-eating husband to try it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't wait to see this, and it looks even better than it sounded. So unique and delicious! I bet Eammon will be asking for this quite a bit! Fantastic choice and yummy photos!

      Delete
  8. I love this...sushi casserole!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've made a "sushi salad" before, but this looks like an excellent dish during the cooler months. I will definitely try it some time (but with real crab - imitation is not allowed in my house, heh heh).

    ReplyDelete
  10. My dad had me try the imitation crab meat once.... bleechhh. I have never come to enjoy seafood in the least though the dish looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Totally original, never hear of such a sushi recipe. And I can't believe you already had everything already at home. Destiny indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an interesting twist on sushi! It's like a sushi casserole! So cool.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never heard of this, but this sounds like a great idea! Great SRC post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lisa, the sushi sounds lovely. I've never tried it before, mostly i guess because of the raw fish factor. I can't wait to get my hands on these ingredients and try it out though.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's good to see something a little different.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Interesting flavor combo! Thanks for stopping by my SRC post ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, this looks wonderful. I bet it'd even make a good dip if the rice was left out of it. Nice post. Love the background on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am so glad you made me aware of this. I didn't see it. I love the look of it and would love to try it. I love Asian cuisine but I never cook it. Need to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What an interesting technique for sushi! Looks wonderful and much easier than rolling all that into a nori sheet!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Interesting twist on sushi. Very creative - great src choice!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Interesting...I would definitely prefer broiled sushi to raw....I am quite picky when it comes to sushi!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is the coolest thing I've ever seen! I have to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is such a creative twist on sushi! I love the layers of rice and then crab. I would totally gobble this up, sushi is delicious - cooked or not! :) Great choice for SRC!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. This sounds really intriguing. I would have never thought of a casserole like sushi! Thanks for visiting my blog. I look forward to seeing what you post about next month.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow Lisa....this is one unique and amazing recipe! And you rocked it! : )

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh, I love Lisa's blog...how lucky you were to have her for the SRC! What a fun dish...thanks for sharing...I'm usually drooling over Lisa's sweets and missed this one :)

    ReplyDelete

I love and adore your wonderful comments, so please don't be shy and let me know that you visited.

I also love responding to your comments but I can't do that if you're a no-reply blogger. Please link your e-mail up to your profile so that I can reply to you.

It's a simple change and here's how you do it.

1. From your PROFILE, go to your DASHBOARD.
2. Go to EDIT PROFILE
3. Click 'SHARE MY PROFILE'
4. Click 'SHOW MY E-MAIL ADDRESS'
5. Enter in your e-mail address.

Easy-peasy and now I can reply to all your e-mails and questions!

Related Posts with Thumbnails