Thursday, May 17, 2012

Strawberry Soup

IMG_4457e Strawberries and Cream, those are this month’s Improv Cooking Challenge ingredients assigned by our hostess Kristen of Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker.  I went back and forth thinking about all the wonderful and delicious things I could make with the assigned ingredients but after enjoying delicious cold fruit soups every lunchtime during our recent 2 week transatlantic cruise I decided that I needed to make my own cold soup.  I did a bit of searching on the internet and the recipe that kept coming up as a standout winning recipe was the Strawberry Soup from the 1900 Park Fare restaurant in Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa

IMG_4459eI scaled back on the amounts in the recipe as I was going to be the only one eating the soup as it’s not Maisie “safe” and Eammon doesn’t care for cold or fruit soups, but had I put this in a glass and told him it was a smoothie he would have gobbled it down and loved it!  I was happy to have it all to myself as the soup was absolutely delicious and when you read the recipe, beyond simple to make.  I wish that Maisie could enjoy this soup as it would be so special to serve for a Princess lunch.  With strawberries in season, this is a perfect soup to make and enjoy.

My previous Improv Cooking Challenge entries:

April 2012  Peanut butter & Jelly:  Peanut Butter & Jelly Bars  
March 2012  Potato & Cheese:  Loaded Potato & Buffalo Chicken Casserole 
February 2012  Ginger & Carrots:  Shrimp & Avocado Salad with Carrot Ginger Dressing 
January 2012 Lemon & Sour Cream:  Ponderosa Lemon & Sour Cream Tart 
December 2011 Eggnog & Cranberries:  Eggnog Popovers with Cranberry Butter 
November 2011 Pumpkin & Cream Cheese:  Praline Pumpkin Cheesecake 
October 2011 Caramel & Apples:  Caramel Stuffed Apple Cider Cookies 

IMG_4453eStrawberry Soup (Adapted from here) 

  • 1 lb.strawberries (frozen variety with no added sugar, thaw with juice)
  • 6.4 oz. heavy cream
  • 0.8 oz.sour cream
  • 1.2 oz. vanilla yogurt
  • fresh strawberries for garnish
  • sour cream for garnish
  • fresh mint for garnish

Using a blender mix together the strawberries, heavy cream, sour cream & yogurt until smooth.

Chill.

Shake well before serving. Add a dollop of sour cream, fresh strawberries and mint leaves as garnish.

Makes 3 servings.

Enjoy!

14 comments:

  1. HELLO! Does that ever look delish!?! How funny about the cold soup vs smoothie -- I have a couple in my house who are just like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've wanted to try a cold fruit soup. Now I have one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great soup. I can just taste the sweet creaminess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey fellow improver (how do you make make that not look like we're working on ourselves? lol)-I made a strawberry soup as well but I love that yours and mine are different. Yours looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great soup! Looks beautiful, delicious, and easy to prepare!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, I featured your recipe on my blog today: http://thecookssister.wordpress.com/2012/05/18/five-favourites-for-friday-16/

      Delete
  6. Oh yummy! I totally need to put some fruit soups in our meal rotation C:

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both beautiful and delicious, Lisa! Great Improv dish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness, I had that soup at the Grand Floridian about 15 years ago, and I still remember how amazing it was! Maybe you could make it with almond and/or coconut milk and vegan yogurt (I've seen coconut milk yogurt). I bet the hint of coconut would taste delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds so yummy, and I think it would be fantastic as a smoothie too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmm...I lurve the Strawberry Soup at 1900 Park Fare and have made it a few times myself this year. I'll have to try your version next time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never heard of a strwaberry soup - how interesting! Would love to try some :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Delicious! Isn't it funny that it's all in the title? Like you said, if you called this a smoothie and poured it in a glass, many naysayers would definitely suck it down!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would drink that as a smoothie in a heartbeat!

    ReplyDelete

I love and adore your wonderful comments, so please don't be shy and let me know that you visited.

I also love responding to your comments but I can't do that if you're a no-reply blogger. Please link your e-mail up to your profile so that I can reply to you.

It's a simple change and here's how you do it.

1. From your PROFILE, go to your DASHBOARD.
2. Go to EDIT PROFILE
3. Click 'SHARE MY PROFILE'
4. Click 'SHOW MY E-MAIL ADDRESS'
5. Enter in your e-mail address.

Easy-peasy and now I can reply to all your e-mails and questions!

Related Posts with Thumbnails