Thursday, January 19, 2012

Ponderosa Lemon & Sour Cream Tart

IMG_3008eThis is month four of the Improv Cooking Challenge which is hosted by Kristen of Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker.  This month I was super excited to participate as we were tasked to use two of my favorite ingredients, lemon and sour cream.  How the challenge works is, each month the participating bloggers are given two ingredients and asked to make any recipe of their choosing which contains those two ingredients.  Well I have been looking forward to this month because not only are lemon & sour cream personal favorites but for almost a year I’ve been itching to make this tart from Mary’s blog, One Perfect Bite and this was the perfect opportunity.  I have previously cooked from Mary’s blog with great success, when I made Stir-Fried Asparagus with Water Chestnuts, Ginger & Cashews so had high hopes for this recipe.  This tart not only lived up to my expectations but it far exceeded them.  This tart was absolutely delicious and both Eammon and I couldn’t stop eating it and the entire tart barely lasted a day.  Okay I did share a couple of slices with some friends, who also loved it but Eammon and I managed to polish off the lion’s share.

IMG_2966eQuite fortuitously this ponderous Ponderosa lemon magically appeared on my doorstep just a couple of days before I made my tart.

IMG_2977eThis gorgeous almost 2 1/2 pound Ponderosa lemon was a surprise gift from fellow bloggers Alyson & Ford.  It was a great treat as I’ve never heard of nor tried this lemon before and not only did it have wonderful flavor but this baby gave me two full cups of juice!

IMG_2980eMary said in her post “The crust is as negotiable as your standards. It need not be homemade and a really good commercial crust or puff pastry will work just fine.”   I debated on the crust for a while, undecided on whether to go with a graham cracker, shortbread or just a pie crust…until I remembered that I had some homemade pie crust dough in the freezer so easy-peasy I went that route.

IMG_2985eThis tart was super simple to make and oh-so delicious. The lemon & sour cream together were gorgeous and the tart was tangy, creamy and silky smooth, just pure perfection. This tart will be made again and again as this was a winning recipe.

My previous Improv Cooking Challenge entries:
October 2011 Caramel & Apples:  Caramel Stuffed Apple Cider Cookies
November 2011 Pumpkin & Cream Cheese:  Praline Pumpkin Cheesecake
December 2011 Eggnog & Cranberries:  Eggnog Popovers with Cranberry Butter

IMG_3006ePonderosa Lemon & Sour Cream Tart  (from here) 

1 9-inch pie or tart crust
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 cup sugar
1 TBS finely grated lemon zest
1/2 cup lemon juice
3 egg yolks, beaten
1 cup milk
4 TBS butter
1 cup sour cream

Preheat oven to 400F.  Line a tart pan with pastry and trim edges.  Prick the bottom & sides with a fork.  Bake until light golden brown, about 20 minutes.  Remove from the oven and cool to room temperature.

In a saucier combine the cornstarch, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, egg yolks and milk.  Cook on medium heat until thick, stirring constantly.  Stir in the butter until fully combined and let the mixture cool to room temperature.  Stir in sour cream and pour filling into the tart shell.

Refrigerate for at least 4 hours.  The tart can be refrigerated for up to 24 hours.  Top with fresh lemon zest, berries or whipped cream.

Enjoy!

29 comments:

  1. Lisa, that is the BIGGEST lemon I have ever seen! What a great tart!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love our Ponderosa lemon tree and the fact you were able to use it in that fantastic tart!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe that's a lemon! I thought for sure that it was a gigantic grapefruit. What a great way to use it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello fellow Improver! This tart is beautiful. Looks so delicious. Come on over and visit. We made a terrific soup for the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holly Lemons! That's the biggest lemon I have ever seen! The tart looks so good, I want a slice :) I found you through the challenge and love your blog! I am following you:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. As usual, you made a fantastic dish that looks beautiful. Yeah for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have NEVER seen a lemon like that!!I'll bet it was fun to cook with! Your recipe looks heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a gorgeous tart! That lemon is amazing. I've never seen anything like it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have never heard of or seen a Ponderosa Lemon before. 2 cups of fresh lemon juice ... how fun!

    Looks like you and I had the same picture props idea. :)

    Your tart sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my, this looks like the creamiest, most indulgent tart ever :) Gorgeous! I'm bookmarking this one - so glad to have joined the Improv Challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This tart looks sensational! I've never heard of a ponderosa lemon before! But you sure have put that wonderful gift to great use! : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness, I've never seen a lemon that big before! Your tart looks amazing--so creamy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is such a delicious looking tart!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mmm, looks wonderful. So wish I was your neighbor!

    ReplyDelete
  15. this tart looks outstanding! and what a huge lemon

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooo,haha, my cheeks have been puckering non-stop looking at this months challenge :D Delicious looking tart! And what a huge lemon!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have never heard of a Ponderosa lemon before. Wow! Your tart looks fabulous. Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is one big lemon! Your tart look delicious.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  19. The tart is stunning and how nice to get the lemon right when you needed it! Terrific entry!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lisa, I'm so glad you enjoyed the tart. It is one of our favorites and I'm always glad to hear others like it as well. I love your blog! I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  21. My Mom used to have a Pondersoda Lemon Tree & I loved helping her give away the fruit and the looks I got! Your tart looks fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your tart looks fabulous!!!! And, wow, that is one amazing lemon!!! Thanks so much for your condolences...xo.

    ReplyDelete
  23. WOW! That is a huge lemon! :) And one very adorable child holding it! Your tart looks heavenly. I enjoy following Mary too and now would also like to make this recipe.

    So nice stopping by to visit with you!

    Kindly, Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've never known that such a lemon exists! What a great dessert, too. I'm writing it down to make! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. LOL I made the same exact recipe. I guess it's bound to happen in the blogging world. And wow that is one huge lemon!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm talking to you right now and I'm trying not to drool. What a way to use that ponderosa lemon. It looks phenomenal! Creamy and dreamy!

    ReplyDelete
  27. It sounds very similar to Key Lime Pie, which I also love. I'm definitely going to try this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hey Lisa, first time on your blog and love it here. Although am a pure vegetarian person, I could tel how much passion you hav pout in cooking..

    Happy to follow u , do visit my blog as u wish :)

    ReplyDelete

I love and adore your wonderful comments, so please don't be shy and let me know that you visited.

I also love responding to your comments but I can't do that if you're a no-reply blogger. Please link your e-mail up to your profile so that I can reply to you.

It's a simple change and here's how you do it.

1. From your PROFILE, go to your DASHBOARD.
2. Go to EDIT PROFILE
3. Click 'SHARE MY PROFILE'
4. Click 'SHOW MY E-MAIL ADDRESS'
5. Enter in your e-mail address.

Easy-peasy and now I can reply to all your e-mails and questions!

Related Posts with Thumbnails