Friday, October 7, 2011

Chocolate Chip Gingersnaps

IMG_0544eMy friend Colleen posted a recipe for Chocolate Chip Gingersnaps and in her post she said, “The warm whoosh of molasses, ginger and a hint of cloves each time I opened the oven door today was pure heaven.”   Well I knew right then and there that I had to make her cookies as they would be perfect for this month’s Crazy Cooking Challenge where all the participating bloggers were challenged to search non-celebrity blogs looking for the ultimate chocolate chip cookie recipe.  My kitchen did smell delicious as the cookies baked and made me think that I’ll have to make these again around the holidays because the smell and taste of these cookies had Christmas written all over them and plus, who can resist delicious gingersnaps with chocolate added to them?

IMG_0534eI did change Colleen’s recipe just a bit in that I only had half the amount of shortening she called for in the house so I also used butter.  Then instead of just rolling the cookie dough in sugar I added candied ginger to the mix which I really enjoyed.

IMG_0539eThese little beauties straight from the oven were crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside.  I ended up with about 80 two-bite sized cookies so I froze most of them.  The cookies straight from the freezer are crunchy delicious but when fully thawed, they still had a crunch as well as a bit of chew.  Either way they were delicious and I would have to say, the ULTIMATE chocolate chip (gingersnap) cookie!

IMG_0551e

Chocolate Chip Gingersnaps (Adapted from here) 

3/8 cup shortening
3/8 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1 egg
2 1/4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ginger powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon 
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
Half bag of mini chocolate chips

For rolling:
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup granulated candied ginger

Cream together the shortening, butter, brown sugar, molasses & egg.  Add the flour, salt, baking soda,  dry ingredients and stir into molasses mixture.  Stir in the chips. In a medium bowl mix together the 1/2 cup granulated sugar and the candied ginger.   Using a small cookie scoop form small balls and roll in the sugar & candied ginger mix.  Place the sugared balls two inches apart on a Silpat or greased cookie sheet.  Bake at 375ºF for about nine minutes.  Immediately transfer to a wire rack to cool.

Enjoy!

Photobucket

29 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I am tickled pink that you used my recipe for this challenge! I definitely plan to pick up some candied ginger and try that out the next time I make these. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh these look so yummy! I love gingersnaps! But with chocolate in there too?! Yes please!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious!! Gingersnaps are one of my all time favorites!! I never would have thought to add chocolate chips to them. I definitely need to give these a try this holiday season!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmmm gingersnaps and chocolate chip cookies mixed together?? heaven!!! yum!



    Stopping by from the THE CRAZY COOKING CHALLENGE
    OCTOBER MISSION:FIND THE ULTIMATE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE RECIPE

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look so good! I love fall and these sound perfect for the rainy day we are having. I would love you to check mine out, it's #5. Thanks!

    The Farm Girl

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look like something I may have to add to my Christmas cookie list! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your right, this would be the perfect cookie for the holidays. I'll be trying them for sure. I'm #48 in the challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh...ginger and chocolate!! I think I can deal with that ;) These look scrumptious. You have some seriously tasty and interesting looking recipes on your blog. Following!! Stop by and give us a visit sometime @ http://everything-underthemoon.blogspot.com

    ~Nikki #41

    ReplyDelete
  9. WHAT? Colleen isn't famous? LOL! Oh, I have to make these cookies - they look fabulous! I "liked" them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the sound of all the flavors in these cookies...I think I would swap out all of the shortening and use only butter. Do you think that would work okay? These definitely have my vote!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lisa, thanks for stopping by my blog. These look great, and I am definitely going to try them. My hubby likes ginger snap cookies so I am sure that he will like this combination. I just happen to have some candied ginger on hand. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh such a great and interesting combination!! Definitely need to try these!! Thanks for the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gingersnaps are one of my favorite cookies in the world...but you know what? I've never ever had them with chocolate. Huh, go figure. I must try next time, they look aaawwwesome!

    ReplyDelete
  14. these look really good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love gingersnaps and your Chocolate Chip Gingersnaps sound fantastic! Need to try :) I hope you'll check out mine. They're #29 the Overnight Chocolate Chip Cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your Cookies look great! It is fun cooking with you, I am #15. Hope you are having a wonderful week end!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yummy!!!!!cookies look great!!!!!love the pics!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These cookies look so scrumptious! I love the idea of rolling in candied ginger. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. These look fantastic! You have a new follower. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't think I've ever had Gingersnap cookies before..they sound amazing!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lisa, thank you so much for stopping by my blog! These look delicious and I think what I like most about these is they appear to be soft and chewy vs a traditional gingersnap which is hard and crunch and so not my thing. I love the addition of the candied ginger. These look incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks so much for stopping by You Little Tarte. I'm going to try this recipe. It looks great and I love your blog. Nice pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  23. These sound delicious! I love ginger too, but never thought of incorporating it in a chocolate chip cookie - I will have to try this some time.

    ReplyDelete
  24. These look delicious! I might have to try them very very soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. these look yummy! Thanks for stopping by! Following!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yum yum! Sounds like my kids and I need to make another batch of cookies! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I love and adore your wonderful comments, so please don't be shy and let me know that you visited.

I also love responding to your comments but I can't do that if you're a no-reply blogger. Please link your e-mail up to your profile so that I can reply to you.

It's a simple change and here's how you do it.

1. From your PROFILE, go to your DASHBOARD.
2. Go to EDIT PROFILE
3. Click 'SHARE MY PROFILE'
4. Click 'SHOW MY E-MAIL ADDRESS'
5. Enter in your e-mail address.

Easy-peasy and now I can reply to all your e-mails and questions!

Related Posts with Thumbnails