Sunday, October 16, 2011

Happy 6th Birthday Maisie Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

IMG_1146eTomorrow my sweet little Maisie Miao Miao will turn six years old.  I totally can’t believe that she’ll be six because I swear that it was just a year ago when she was 14 months old and we first saw her sweet little cue ball cutie face.  To celebrate her birthday Maisie has had a number of parties.  First was Friday when she had cupcakes with her USA Level 3 gymnastics teammates and then Saturday morning another round of cupcakes with her TOPs teammates.  Two hours later on Saturday afternoon Maisie had her “big” little party of pottery painting with her girlfriends who aren’t on team or in school with her.  We have one more party scheduled for tomorrow with her classmates then the “Maisie is six” birthday parties will be over and she’ll officially be six!

IMG_1090eFor Maisie’s pottery painting party she requested a pink zebra cake so that’s what my little girl got.  

IMG_0979e Maisie of course was a big help in making the Cream Cheese Frosting.

IMG_0985e She was an even bigger help in taste testing the pink frosting.

IMG_1000e Best of all she “cleaned” the mixer paddle for me.

IMG_1032e Maisie supervised as I made and assembled the cake.

IMG_1038eCrumb coat completed and Maisie “cleaned” the offset spatula, such a helpful little girl!

IMG_1142eAll the little cutie-patootie girls loved the pink zebra cake and everyone, including the adults thought it delicious.

IMG_1158e I had tried to make the cake zebra patterned and I can see hints of the pattern but I realize now that I should have used more batter in each scoop as I made my layers as they were too thin as they spread so it ended up more marbled looking…oh well it was still delicious.  The cake was beautifully moist and the Cream Cheese Frosting was wonderfully delicious and not overly sweet, just perfect!  The recipe I used for the frosting is my go-to favorite and I have been making it for years.  It’s simple to make, works well for spreading and piping and everyone thinks it tastes like cheesecake, a real winning recipe.

Cream Cheese Frosting
4 8-oz. packages cream cheese, softened (I use regular full fat bricks of cream cheese)
1 cup salted butter, room temperature
1 TBS vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract 
4 cups confectioners sugar

In a stand mixer blend the cream cheese, butter and vanilla until smooth.  Add the confectioners sugar and on medium speed beat until smooth and fluffy.  Add gel icing color of your choice, if desired and blend.

Enjoy!

For the cake I totally cheated and used boxed cake mixes.   I used a 10x3-inch round pan so I used one box each of French Vanilla and Dark Chocolate Fudge cake mixes.  For the zebra top I used a Wilton sugar sheet which was simple and looked great.

5 comments:

  1. Happy birthday Maisie, you are a beautiful little 6 yr old. Your cake was pretty. Bet you will grow to be the best in the kitchen. Please come over and visit the wednesday baker.blogspot.com I have a gift for your mom. Thanks, Andi
    it was posted on Saturday 10/15

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a perfect zebra cake! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday Maisie. Seriously that cake just screams super fun and girlie. Love that she was so involved. Great job mom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These cake look amazing and happy birthday to Maisie, she is lovely! love the pictures, xx gloria

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful cake! Happy Birthday to Maisie!

    ReplyDelete

I love and adore your wonderful comments, so please don't be shy and let me know that you visited.

I also love responding to your comments but I can't do that if you're a no-reply blogger. Please link your e-mail up to your profile so that I can reply to you.

It's a simple change and here's how you do it.

1. From your PROFILE, go to your DASHBOARD.
2. Go to EDIT PROFILE
3. Click 'SHARE MY PROFILE'
4. Click 'SHOW MY E-MAIL ADDRESS'
5. Enter in your e-mail address.

Easy-peasy and now I can reply to all your e-mails and questions!

Related Posts with Thumbnails