Sunday, November 6, 2011

Pork Belly Soup with Collard Greens

IMG_1364eEach month I say it and each month it’s true, I adore The Secret Recipe Club and reveal day is the best!  The group was started by Amanda back in April of this year with only nineteen participants for the first reveal.  By the time I joined and got into the rotation it was the June reveal and I posted my recipe for Home Style Chicken Curry along with 96 other recipes from food bloggers who were also playing along.  In July the group grew even more and my Holy Guacamole shared the page with 166 other wonderful recipes.  Amanda had so many more food bloggers that wanted to participate that she split the group so that in August 196 bloggers posted their recipes split over three different reveal days and I posted my recipe for Cilantro Lime Chicken.  September brought even more members and wonderful recipes, 226 in total and I found and made yet another winning recipe, Welsh Cakes.  Last month so many more food bloggers wanted in to the group that a fourth posting date for each month was added with 250 participants.  We are split into groups A,B, C & D and last month I actually got to post with two of the groups because a week before group “C” reveal someone wasn’t able to follow through with their posting.  I posted with Group “A” on my assigned reveal day Levain Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies and then I filled in for a blogger in group “C” and I posted a recipe for Thin Mint Irish Coffee…YUM!!  Not only am I finding and posting wonderful recipes from my assigned blogs but so many of the other recipes that are being posted each month are tempting and delicious looking. 

Also tempting and delicious looking were so many of the recipes on my assigned blog this month, Sara’s Cupcake Muffin.  So you’d think with being assigned a blog named Cupcake Muffin I’d have a gorgeous baked sweet gracing this page and trust me, I almost did as Sara has numerous sweet treats on her blog and I debated about some of them including her Lemon Cream Tart, Lemon Ricotta Cookies, Sour Cherry-Pistachio Crumble, Real Sour Cherry Crisp, Apple Cobbler Bars, Simple Yellow Cupcake with Tangerine Curd, Rhubarb Steamed Pudding, Banana Cake with Crackly Brown Sugar Frosting and Sour Cream Apple Pie with Lemon Cardamom Streusel.  Yes so many gorgeous looking sweets and all of these have been added to my '”need to make” file.  Also added to that file are some of Sara’s savory dishes including Thai Cucumber Salad, Murgh Makhani, Campanelle with Vodka Sauce, Sun-Dried Tomato Risotto with Roasted Cherry Tomatoes, Udon Chicken Salad with Snap Peas and Mustard Chicken with Fresh Corn Polenta, all so delicious looking and sounding.

In the end what really caught my eye was Sara’s Hunan Braised Spareribs and Mustard Greens.  Our weather in Atlanta has become quite chilly at night so a nice hearty meal called to me as did the flavors in her recipe as they sounded delicious.  Also when I read what she wrote about the recipe, that the original recipe she adapted from used pork belly, which I had in the freezer, and her version turned out with a lot more broth than what she adapted from, well right there it was Pork Belly Soup.  I really followed the spices in Sara’s recipe but because I wanted even more broth so to actually have a soup, I just increased the spice and liquid amounts.  The addition of mustard greens sounded wonderful but I just wasn’t finding them at my local market so to keep with the theme of greens I substituted collard greens which were beyond delicious in the soup.  Also at the last minute I decided that I wanted to bulk the soup up a wee bit more so I added a few of our favorite ingredients which I thought would work well, sliced water chestnuts, sliced bamboo shoots and straw mushrooms.   

The soup was rich, delicately flavored and with a touch of sweetness.  The balance of the spices was spot on and even with all the chilies, it really had only the tiniest amount of heat.  The day that I was making the soup I was in and out of the house running Maisie to and from her activities.  Each time I entered the house it smelled delicious and reminded me so much of the great pork belly and other foods we enjoyed when we were in Guangzhou.  Smells can bring back so many memories.  We so much enjoyed this soup and I will definitely be making again along with some of Sara’s other wonderful sounding recipes.

IMG_1278eVery simple ingredients make one spectacular soup.

IMG_1284ePartially cooked pork belly ready to be sliced.

IMG_1287eOil and palm sugar caramelizing.

 IMG_1294ePork belly, chicken broth and spices ready to be simmered to make the most delicious soup.

IMG_1352e 

Pork Belly Soup with Collard Greens (Adapted from here) 

3 pounds pork belly
4 TBS peanut oil
1/3 cup palm sugar
1/3 cup Shaoxing wine
3 inch piece fresh ginger, skin left on and sliced thick
5 whole star anise
6 dried red chilies 
2 large cinnamon sticks
4 cloves garlic, quartered lengthwise
9 cups Cheaters Chicken Soup or chicken stock
1 16-oz. bag frozen chopped collard greens
2 8-oz. cans sliced water chestnuts, rinsed & drained
1 8-oz. can sliced bamboo shoots, rinsed & drained
2 15-oz. cans straw mushrooms, rinsed & drained
Soy sauce 
Chopped scallions
Korean noodles or pasta of your choice, prepared according to package directions

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the whole pork belly. Bring the water back to a boil and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until the pork is just partially cooked. Remove the pork from the water and let cool for a few minutes. Then cut into a bite-sized pieces.

In a large stockpot add the peanut oil and palm sugar and cook, stirring often until the sugar dissolves. Then turn the heat to medium and cook until the sugar turns a rich caramel brown. Keep a close eye as the sugar can burn easily. Add the Shaoxing  wine and stir to blend.  Add the pork and stir well.  Add the ginger, whole star anise, dried red chilies, cinnamon sticks, garlic and chicken stock.  Turn the heat to high and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for approximately 1 hour or until the meat is cooked through and tender.

Strain the soup and set the solids aside while you chill the broth so to easily skim the fat. Once the fat has been removed return the broth to the pot along with all the solids.  Add the collard greens, water chestnuts, bamboo shoots & straw mushrooms.  Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the collard greens are cooked and soft.

Place some pasta in a large bowl, ladle in the soup and serve topped with chopped scallions and a splash of soy sauce.

Enjoy!

36 comments:

  1. That looks very rich, look at the fat on the pork belly :) It looks so colorful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your dish looks like it would keep you full for a while, a nice warming meal.

    Cupcake Muffin was my secret recipe blog, one month also. What a pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sitting at work, fingers frozen because they haven't turned the heat on, drooling at this recipe. It looks so savory and delicious! Yum!

    I just joined the SRC and did my first reveal today. Such a fun group. I love checking out everyones blogs and seeing all this deliciousness :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love pork belly. This is a great recipe

    ReplyDelete
  5. This soup looks amazing! Pork belly is delicious and totally underused in my kitchen...I need to change that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing this with the SRC. I have never cooked with pork belly. I will have to remedy that with this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would never think to put pork belly in a soup but that looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love this variation on the recipe! Mmm, pork belly. It's not easy to find at regular grocery stores around here, I think I am going to have to make a special trip to the butchers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As a Top Chef junkie I hear about the belly all the time but have yet to cook it. If the weather would start to feel fall like I would love to give this soup a go!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there, I'm so glad you liked the recipe! Love your adaptations...this dish looks SO yummy as a soup, and I bet the combo of pork belly and collards is just fantastic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow this looks fantastic - i have had pork belly at a restaurant many time but never cooked wiht it. Fabulous dish!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh your soup looks just sublime and really perfect for colder weather, a touch of warm and exotic. I have not cooked with pork belly much...I have some catching up to do.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks so hearty. You're making me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow love your pictures! very good choice of recipe to!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That looks like a lovely soup. I'll bet it smelled delicious simmering away on the stove! Great SRC choice :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. that looks lovely

    SRC is such a lovely way to try new recipes isnt it

    ReplyDelete
  17. This dish looks perfect for the winter months! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yum, this sounds so delicious and comforting! I love your adjustments. Great SRC pick!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Why did I think I left a comment on this amazing soup? Maybe because my brain was inundated with visions of Aloo Tiki?! I LOVE pork belly, and this soup would definitely warm me from the inside out, while illuminating every sense ;) 'Pork Belly' makes me giddy, so excuse the attempt at prose lol

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is such an interesting recipe with really unique flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Lisa,
    We just love Collard Greens so I know that we would just love your Pork Belly Soup with Collard Greens. It is so full of wonderful flavor. This is a great pick for the SRC! Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful week.
    Miz Helen
    http://mizhelenscountrycottage.blogspot.com/2011/11/brussels-sprouts-salad-with-warm-bacon.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. That looks amazing! I enjoy Collard Greens, but this is a whole new way to try them. I will have to try this recipe. Thanks for choosing it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh man, I love pork belly.. This sounds so perfect for the cold weather! Great SRC post!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow! Can I come over to eat some time? :) Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This looks right up my alley! I love all of the rich flavor combinations of the pork belly and earthy collard greens...YUM! A perfect warm-up for this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lisa, the soup looks so wonderfully comforting, ideal for colder days ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've never made anything with pork belly before. Maybe this is my chance to try it out!

    http://thebitchinkitchin.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love the ingredients you used - all favourites of mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow, that's quite a recipe. Lots of interesting and flavorful ingredients.

    If you haven't already, I hope you'll stop by to see my SRC post for Honey Vinaigrette Grilled Chicken.

    :)
    ButterYum
    http://butteryum.blogspot.com/2011/11/honey-vinaigrette-grilled-chicken.html

    ReplyDelete
  30. O M G

    That looks like something I'd get at one of my favourite Pho restaurants. Incredibly good. And with star anise. Oh yum.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm so glad you chose a savoury dish in the end. This looks so flavourful. I can imagine it smelled just amazing as it was cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  32. OMG. I need to try and find some pork belly asap!

    ReplyDelete
  33. A wonderful warming spicy soup! I love your version of the soup.

    ReplyDelete

I love and adore your wonderful comments, so please don't be shy and let me know that you visited.

I also love responding to your comments but I can't do that if you're a no-reply blogger. Please link your e-mail up to your profile so that I can reply to you.

It's a simple change and here's how you do it.

1. From your PROFILE, go to your DASHBOARD.
2. Go to EDIT PROFILE
3. Click 'SHARE MY PROFILE'
4. Click 'SHOW MY E-MAIL ADDRESS'
5. Enter in your e-mail address.

Easy-peasy and now I can reply to all your e-mails and questions!

Related Posts with Thumbnails