Sunday, November 27, 2011

Apple, Cranberry & Rhubarb Crisp

IMG_2503eI don’t particularly care for pie crusts but I enjoy the fillings so over the years I’ve realized that what I do really enjoy are crisps and they’re super simple and very forgiving to make.  Back in July I posted a recipe for a Rhubarb Crisp and because I love that crisp so much I decided that for Thanksgiving this year I would change it up a little adding apples and cranberries for a more seasonal taste and serve it for dessert.  In addition to the more seasonal fruit I changed the crisp topping ingredients to make it “safe” for Maisie and her food allergies.  The recipe worked out well, the dessert was delicious and a perfect finish to our Thanksgiving dinner.

IMG_2477eIn a large oven-safe casserole dish mix together the fruit and syrup.

IMG_2480eTop the fruit mixture with the oatmeal and nut crumble mixture.

IMG_2494e Bake until the fruit is bubbly and the topping has browned a bit.

IMG_2502e

Apple, Cranberry & Rhubarb Crisp

4 Granny Smith apples, peeled & large dice
1 pound ruby rhubarb, fresh or frozen, sliced
1/2 cup dried cranberries

Syrup
1 TBS fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup sugar
2 TBS warm water

Crumb Topping
1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
1/2 cup very roughly chopped walnuts
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup old fashioned oats 
1/4 cup Earth Balance buttery spread

Preheat oven to 350F.

In a large oven-safe casserole dish combine the lemon juice, sugar and water and stir to dissolve.  Add the apples, rhubarb & cranberries and stir to coat the fruit with the syrup.  In a separate microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter and then add the walnuts, brown sugar and oats and using your fingers, mix to combine into a crumbly mix.  Sprinkle over the fruit.

Bake 40-50 minutes until the fruit is bubbly around the edges and the crisp has started to brown.  Serve warm or room temperature.

Enjoy!!

4 comments:

  1. Yummy, Lisa...I love crisps, and yours looks about as crisp as crisp can get! I'm loving that you got that 'crisp' with Earth Balance! I spread it on my toast, but never used it in baking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks very tasty!

    Personally, I'm having a gluten-fest this December as I've been let of out of gluten-free jail this year. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a great, simple recipe! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All your delicious looking rhubarb recipes are making me want to make some rhubarb dishes! This looks delicious, my family loves anything with fruit so I'm sure this would be a hit :)

    ReplyDelete

I love and adore your wonderful comments, so please don't be shy and let me know that you visited.

I also love responding to your comments but I can't do that if you're a no-reply blogger. Please link your e-mail up to your profile so that I can reply to you.

It's a simple change and here's how you do it.

1. From your PROFILE, go to your DASHBOARD.
2. Go to EDIT PROFILE
3. Click 'SHARE MY PROFILE'
4. Click 'SHOW MY E-MAIL ADDRESS'
5. Enter in your e-mail address.

Easy-peasy and now I can reply to all your e-mails and questions!

Related Posts with Thumbnails