Thursday, July 19, 2012

Fritos Crusted Pollock

IMG_4926e It’s month ten of the Improv Cooking Challenge and I’m still participating and loving the challenge.  The Improv Cooking Challenge is hosted by Kristen of Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker.  This month the participating bloggers were asked to make any recipe of their choosing using the two given ingredients of corn & butter.  As always I looked forward to participating and finding or coming up with a great recipe which included the two theme ingredients but for some reason I just had trouble this month thinking beyond a gorgeous ear of grilled corn slathered in butter.  It’s not like I was limited to just those two ingredients but I don’t know why, I just seemed uninspired.  Then it came time for dinner and I needed something that was healthy, delicious and fast as my family was hungry and then it struck me what to make, a simple, five ingredient Fritos Crusted Pollock.  I figured that Fritos are corn chips so it met the corn part of the challenge and though I didn’t use actual butter because of Maisie’s dairy allergy, I was allowed to substitute dairy free margarine, which I did but butter would work just as well.

IMG_4898e This fish was beyond simple as I crushed the Fritos in the food processor with the butter and some garlic powder,  I then topped the fish filets with the mixture, added a sprinkle of paprika and a quick few minutes under the broiler and dinner was served. 

IMG_4905e Maisie especially loved this fish and ate an entire filet herself.  I loved that from start to table this meal was being eaten in less than 20 minutes. 

IMG_4927e For Eammon I made a wrap with Romaine lettuce and fresh from our garden veggies, cucumber, bell pepper & tomato.  I added a little spicy sauce and wrapped it all up in a tomato basil tortilla and all was good.  Even though I was struggling and a bit uninspired, in the end we enjoyed a delicious dinner with a twist on corn and butter.

My previous Improv Cooking Challenge entries:

June 2012  Cherries & Almonds:  Dried Cherry Almond Tart 
May 2012  Strawberries & Cream:  Strawberry Soup 
April 2012  Peanut butter & Jelly:  Peanut Butter & Jelly Bars 
March 2012  Potato & Cheese:  Loaded Potato & Buffalo Chicken Casserole 
February 2012  Ginger & Carrots:  Shrimp & Avocado Salad with Carrot Ginger Dressing 
January 2012 Lemon & Sour Cream:  Ponderosa Lemon & Sour Cream Tart 
December 2011 Eggnog & Cranberries:  Eggnog Popovers with Cranberry Butter 
November 2011 Pumpkin & Cream Cheese:  Praline Pumpkin Cheesecake 
October 2011 Caramel & Apples:  Caramel Stuffed Apple Cider Cookies

IMG_4928eFritos Crusted Pollock

  • 2 Pollock filets, skinless (or white flaky fish of your choice)
  • 1 cup Fritos
  • 1 TBS. Earth Balance Buttery Spread or butter
  • 1/2 tsp. garlic powder 
  • smoked sweet paprika
    • Place oven rack up close to the broiler and preheat to high.  Add the Fritos, butter and garlic powder to the bowl of a food processor and pulse until a nice crumbly mix.  Lay the fish filets on a foil lined baking sheet which has been sprayed with cooking spray.  Coat the top of each filet with the Fritos mix and then sprinkle lightly with paprika.  Cook the filets under the broiler for approx. 7 minutes or until the Fritos mixture starts to turn golden and the fish is cooked through.

      Enjoy!

      21 comments:

      1. Love how easy and yummy this looks. Maybe my kids will actually eat some fish this way.

        ReplyDelete
      2. I love this! Fritos are my favorite....yummy salty goodness! :)

        ReplyDelete
      3. What a great idea, Lisa! Looks so good -

        ReplyDelete
      4. Lisa, simple and delicious. Great pictures too.

        The Hubby went fishing this week; we haven't had fresh fish for years.

        ReplyDelete
      5. Brilliant use of the ingredients this month, Lisa! I am loving the look of those wraps!

        ReplyDelete
      6. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! That fish looks delish!

        ReplyDelete
      7. How clever is this?? I adore Fritos (yes, I'm a dietitian and I'm fine with that :) - can't wait to try this out!

        ReplyDelete
      8. I love it! Your fritos-crusted pollock is simple and so quick to prepare.

        ReplyDelete
      9. Oooo!!! I love this use of Fritos!! This sounds so very good. Yum!

        ReplyDelete
      10. What a great recipe to come out of a lack of inspiration. Creative take on corn & butter!

        ReplyDelete
      11. You are so clever. My husband has celiac so I use all kinds of crushed chip for coating. I have to try it on fish.

        I love what you do, each month.

        ReplyDelete
      12. Oh, that's a fab recipe! Definitely going to give it a try (and not just because it legitimises buying/eating fritos).

        ReplyDelete
      13. This looks soo good! I think we will have to try this next time we make fish!

        ReplyDelete
      14. Sounds yummy! Always looking for seafood recipes!!

        ReplyDelete
      15. What a great idea for a topping, Lisa!!! And such a unique dish among all the other butter and corn entries :)

        ReplyDelete
      16. Brilliant. I've done something similar using unflavoured crackers, however, this looks much, much tastier. And putting it in a wrap is the icing on the cake.

        ReplyDelete
      17. Mmm, this sound s wonderful and super simple, great post!

        ReplyDelete
      18. I'm always looking for easy, yummy fish recipes - this sounds like a winner!

        ReplyDelete

      I love and adore your wonderful comments, so please don't be shy and let me know that you visited.

      I also love responding to your comments but I can't do that if you're a no-reply blogger. Please link your e-mail up to your profile so that I can reply to you.

      It's a simple change and here's how you do it.

      1. From your PROFILE, go to your DASHBOARD.
      2. Go to EDIT PROFILE
      3. Click 'SHARE MY PROFILE'
      4. Click 'SHOW MY E-MAIL ADDRESS'
      5. Enter in your e-mail address.

      Easy-peasy and now I can reply to all your e-mails and questions!

      Related Posts with Thumbnails