My Mom has been making a curried chicken salad for years and as she’s been raving about how wonderful it is, I decided to give it a try…but of course I made a few little changes, but what else is new. This Curried Chicken Salad is a little different from my Curried Grilled Thai Chicken Salad but just as delicious. My Mom often makes this recipe with leftover turkey so perfect for your Thanksgiving leftovers. This is just one of those recipes which can be tailored to what you have in hand or to your tastes.
As I’ve been avoiding carbs lately, I’ve been enjoying this Curried Chicken Salad as pictured, atop a thick slice of fresh tomato and wrapped in a leaf of Romaine lettuce, so basically an awesome lettuce wrap…Delish!!
- 1/4 cup sour cream (I prefer Breakstone sour cream)
- 1/4 cup real mayonnaise (I prefer Hellmann’s mayonnaise)
- 3/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 4 tsp. Jamaican curry powder
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper powder
- 3/4 tsp. spicy brown mustard (I prefer Gulden’s mustard)
- 1 TBS. fresh lemon juice
- 3 TBS. finely chopped mango chutney (I prefer Raffetto Chut-Nut Colonial Chutney)
- 1 lb. cold cooked chicken, diced (I prefer my leftover “Rotisserie” Chicken)
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions, whites and greens
- 1 large peeled apple, diced (I prefer Granny Smith apples)
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/3 cup finely diced celery
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
In a large bowl mix together the sour cream, mayonnaise, garlic powder, curry powder and cayenne. Add the mustard, lemon juice and chutney and combine well. Add the diced chicken, green onions, apple, almonds, celery & raisins and toss to mix. Cover and refrigerate. This is best made a day in advance so that all the flavors can come together. Serve cold on a salad or in a sandwich.