We have a favorite Salsa Verde Chicken recipe which we've enjoyed many, many times, but it was time to change it up a bit and add a twist, so enter Coconut Mango Salsa Verde Chicken. The heat of the peppers and the creaminess of the coconut milk along with the sweetness of the mango are perfection. Add in that it cooks in the Instant Pot in just mere minutes, makes this a winning dish all around. The dish has a good heat kick to it, but it mellows after the first day. This reheats beautifully and don't be suprised if everyone is licking their plate to get the last bits of the sauce...it's that crazy good!
Coconut Mango Salsa Verde Chicken ~ Instant Pot
- 10-12 bone-in chicken thighs with skin (or chicken pieces of your choice)
- 8 oz. coconut milk
- 1 1/2 tsp. cumin seed
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- juice of 1 lime
- 3/4 tsp. dark chili powder
- 3/4 tsp. sweet paprika
- 3/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1 med. onion, quartered
- 8 oz. poblanos, roughly chopped, seeds and stems discarded
- 8 oz. Cubanelle peppers, roughly chopped, seeds and stems discarded
- 2 large jalapenos, roughly chopped, seeds and stems discarded
- 8 oz. tomatillos, quartered
- 2 med. red bell peppers, cut in long strips about 1/4-inch thick, seeds and stem discarded
- 2 med. poblanos, peppers, cut in long strips about 1/4-inch thick, seeds and stem discarded
- 8 oz. tomatillos, medium dice
- 2 mangoes, peeled and large dice
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
Place the coconut milk in the liner of the Instant Pot and add the cumin seed, ground cumin, lime juice, chili powder, paprika & salt. Stir to combine. Add the chicken thighs, layering in, skin side up. Top the chicken with the quartered onion, roughly chopped poblanos, roughly chopped Cubanelle peppers, jalapenos and the quartered tomatillos. Secure the lid and close the steam vent. Use either the "Poultry" button or set manually for 15 minutes. Once the 15 end, quick releast the steam.
Gently remove the chicken pieces and place them skin side up on a foil lined baking sheet. Broil the chicken 5-10 minutes to toast and crisp the skin.
While the chicken is in the broiler, using an immersion blender, carefully blend the sauce left in the Instant Pot. Once smooth, add the sliced red bell peppers, sliced poblanos & diced tomatillos. Secure the lid and close the steam valve. Set manual timer for 2 minutes, high pressure. When the 2 minutes end, quick release the steam. Open lid and add the diced mango & cilantro and stir to combine. Check seasonings and add salt if needed. Ladle the sauce over the chicken and serve.