Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Zucchini & Spinach Lasagna

This is what happens when the garden is overflowing with zucchini and spinach, a delicious and wonderful lasagna.

IMG_1804Zucchini & Spinach Lasagna

This recipe makes two deep half pans.

  • 1 (12 oz) package Oven ready lasagna (no need to boil noodles or fresh or regular lasagna noodles but omit the water for fresh or pre-boiled noodles)
  • 2 lbs. Ricotta cheese (skim, part-skim, whole...doesn't matter)
  • 4 cups shredded Mozzarella cheese, divided
  • 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 large bunch of fresh basil, chopped
  • salt
  • fresh ground pepper
  • 3 large zucchini, sliced lengthwise about finger thickness
  • 2 cups fresh chopped spinach
  • 8 cups homemade Bolognese sauce (meat sauce) or other very thick sauce of your choice
  • 2 cups water (need to add to the sauce because I use the no-boil noodles and need the extra liquid but omit if you use fresh or pre-boil your noodles)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In medium bowl combine Ricotta, 1 cup Mozzarella cheese, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, eggs, and about 2/3 of the basil, a couple of grinds of both salt and pepper. Mix well.

In another medium bowl combine the spaghetti sauce and water. Mix well.

In each pan: Spread 1 1/2 cups of meat sauce, place 1/4 of the package (4 pieces) of lasagna noodles over the sauce in each pan, spread 1/4 of the Ricotta cheese mixture over lasagna; top with 1/4 of the chopped spinach followed by 1/4 of the sliced zucchini. Add a layer of your meat sauce topped with 1/4 of the remaining Mozzarella and 1/4 of the remaining Parmesan. Repeat layering once, lasagna noodle, Ricotta mixture, spinach, zucchini, sauce and finishing with the Mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.

Wrap the lasagna tightly with heavy duty or a double layer of foil which you tent up a bit so that it doesn't lay on and stick to the cheese.

Bake for 75 minutes covered or until the lasagna is fork tender. Remove the foil and if cheese is not golden and brown, keep foil off and put lasagna back in the oven for 10 minutes or so until it reaches the desired color.

Let stand for at least 10 minutes before cutting and serving.

Enjoy!

Don't forget to enter my Bento book giveaway over on Maisie Eats Bento.

Sharing this recipe with many of the wonderful blogs listed in my side bar blog hop list.

23 comments:

  1. I noticed that you use zucchini a lot. I've never had it, but the recipes do look really good. How did you come across the zucchini lemon cookies?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks amazing, I can't wait to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to try your recipe this fall!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delish.

    We'd love you to share your recipes with us at
    Simply Delish Saturday

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks fantastic!!! I've got to try it. I swear by not boiling the noodles - it was the only way I ever got a lasagna that didn't slide apart when I served it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All my kids love Lasagna. I will have to try this when we all get together.
    New follower from Savory Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks delicious! I love lasagna and I'm about to have a ton of zucchini! I'm adding this to my "to make" list!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great way to have zucchini. I bet I could make it gluten free by just leaving out the noodles. Can't wait to try! Thanks for the share on this week's Sugar Free Sunday

    ReplyDelete
  9. YUM! I'd love to make this, but I would be the only one to eat it...my kids are so super picky! We are in the same (zucchini) boat, I've been putting it in everything! My poor plants are all gone now however. This heat has killed everything...but they had a very good run! Checking in from Miz Helen's :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. i wanna try this...a much healthier version of the famed lasagna.
    thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great lasagna, full of veggies. It won't be as heavy as the lasagna with meat filling. Looks yummy!


    The Twerp and I

    ReplyDelete
  12. looks so delicious..:)

    Don’t forget to visit My Food Trip Friday wink*

    ReplyDelete
  13. ahh another delectable meal!!looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Our garden has an abundance of zucchini and this is a super wonderful way to use up some of them. Thanks for a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi! Thanks for linking to Tasty Tuesday!! Just wanted to let you know that I will be featuring you next week, stop by and check it out and grab a button. http://nap-timecreations.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Lisa,
    What a great recipe! I wish I could get my family to eat zucchini!

    Your Lasagna was the most viewed recipe from last week's Melt in Your Mouth Monday!

    Come link up a new recipe when you have a chance!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for stopping by and linking up to last weeks Menu Mondays! I'd like to invite you to come and share a recipe on this weeks recipe link up: http://myfaithandfamily.wordpress.com/2011/08/01/menu-mondays-creamy-crockpot-red-potatoes/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Lisa,
    What a wonderful Lasagna, it looks delicious. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you again real soon. Hope you are having a great week!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello! I found you through At Home With Haley’s Blog Hop. Lovin' your Lasagna recipe!
    Have a great day! Sherri
    http://www.FoodBasics101.com
    Facebook- http://tinyurl.com/FoodBasics101

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey!! Just wanted to let you know that I featured you in a post all about Zucchinis!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. LOL! If you check out my pinterest recipes you'll see yourself all over the place! :o) More yumminess to try!

    ReplyDelete

I love and adore your wonderful comments, so please don't be shy and let me know that you visited.

I also love responding to your comments but I can't do that if you're a no-reply blogger. Please link your e-mail up to your profile so that I can reply to you.

It's a simple change and here's how you do it.

1. From your PROFILE, go to your DASHBOARD.
2. Go to EDIT PROFILE
3. Click 'SHARE MY PROFILE'
4. Click 'SHOW MY E-MAIL ADDRESS'
5. Enter in your e-mail address.

Easy-peasy and now I can reply to all your e-mails and questions!

Related Posts with Thumbnails