Saturday, May 14, 2011

Caribbean Clam Chowder with Corn

IMG_6395bI go to this wonderful local sandwich shop and the lunch that I always order is their Fried Green Tomato Sandwich.  With your sandwich you get your choice of a side and my absolute favorite is their Caribbean Clam Chowder.  The problem is, while they always have the fried green tomato sandwich on the menu, the soup and side options change.  Though all their soup and side offerings are wonderful and delicious, just knowing that I’m going there makes me crave the chowder so when it’s not offered I’m disappointed.  Sometimes I really crave the chowder so the last time I was there I brought my portion home so that I could recreate it and have it any time I wanted.

Caribbean Clam Chowder with Corn

6 medium potatoes, peeled and quarter-inch dice 
12 oz. sliced bacon
3 TBS butter
6 jalapenos, seeds removed and finely minced
2 medium onions, finely minced
6 cloves of garlic, finely minced
3 - 12 oz. bags frozen sweet corn, thawed
3 - 8 oz. bottles clam juice
6 - 10 oz. cans whole baby clams
1 scotch bonnet pepper, stem and seeds removed but kept whole
3 - 14 oz. cans lite coconut milk
1/3 cup chopped roasted red peppers
1/2 to 1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp salt or to taste
1 tsp fresh ground pepper or to taste
Fresh cilantro for garnish

In a large stock pot add enough water to boil your potatoes.  When the water reaches boiling, add your diced potatoes and boil until just tender.  Drain and set aside.  In the now empty stock pot, fry up the bacon until it is crispy.  Remove the bacon from the pot and dice it finely and set aside.  Leave the bacon fat in the pot and add the butter, jalapenos, onion and garlic and saute until all the vegetables are soft but do not allow them to brown or caramelize.  In a blender or food processor add one bottle of the clam juice and two bags of corn and process until quite smooth.  Once all the vegetables are soft add the processed clam juice & corn mixture, the two remaining bottles of clam juice, the juice from the cans of whole clams, the scotch bonnet pepper and the coconut milk.  Allow to simmer for 10 minutes.  Add the diced bacon, the remaining bag of corn, all the clams, the roasted red peppers, cayenne, salt & pepper and allow to return to a simmer for 3 minutes.  Remove the scotch bonnet pepper and discard.  Adjust cayenne, salt & pepper to taste.

Enjoy!!

6 comments:

  1. Oh, you had me until the coconut milk. Strangely enough, I don't think I like it. I love coconut and coconut flavor, but anytime I've had a peanut sauce which included coconut milk, I did not like it. Maybe I just don't like coconut milk in peanut sauces. I can't think of anything else I would have tried it in. The does soup look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, man, this looks amazing!!! Always room for another corn chowder recipe in my kitchen :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. is this based of the fickle pickle in Roswell, GA...Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just had this soup from the Fickle Pickle, and I brought home a quart to serve at dinner. my hubby loved it too. I'm going to try your recipe! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just had this soup from the Fickle Pickle, and I brought home a quart to serve at dinner. my hubby loved it too. I'm going to try your recipe! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing! I have been planning to try to duplicate the soup as they make it at Fickle Pickle. Theirs has carrots and celery, less peppers and no bacon. It is seasoned with saffron along with the cilantro. There is a bit of orange juice and zest in it also.
    This version looks great too!

    ReplyDelete

I love and adore your wonderful comments, so please don't be shy and let me know that you visited.

I also love responding to your comments but I can't do that if you're a no-reply blogger. Please link your e-mail up to your profile so that I can reply to you.

It's a simple change and here's how you do it.

1. From your PROFILE, go to your DASHBOARD.
2. Go to EDIT PROFILE
3. Click 'SHARE MY PROFILE'
4. Click 'SHOW MY E-MAIL ADDRESS'
5. Enter in your e-mail address.

Easy-peasy and now I can reply to all your e-mails and questions!

Related Posts with Thumbnails