Thursday, May 5, 2011

Fire Roasted Tomato and Chicken Tortilla Soup

IMG_7072Oh my gosh this soup is probably one of the most wonderful soups that I have ever made and it’s super quick and easy to make.  Even though it contains chili powder and green chilies it is not spicy but instead it is rich and full of flavor.  If you want to kick up the spice just increase the green chilies and chili powder.

Fire Roasted Tomato and Chicken Tortilla Soup 

For the soup:
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 tablespoon dark chili powder, more to taste
3 oz. tomato paste 
8 cups cheaters chicken soup or low-salt boxed or canned chicken broth
1/2 cup corn kernel (I used frozen)
1 - 15oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 small can chopped green chilies (about 3 oz.), more to taste 
1 - 14.5 oz. can fire roasted diced tomatoes (Wal-Mart brand is very good)
1 cup shredded cooked chicken (store bought roasted chicken works great)
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish

For the tortillas: (These fresh tortilla strips are awesome and fast & easy to make but you could substitute your favorite store bought chips.) 
1/2 to 1 cup vegetable or corn oil
8 – 6-inch fresh corn tortillas, cut in half and then into 1/4-inch-wide strips
sea salt

For the garnish:
1 ripe avocado, diced
crumbled queso fresco
sour cream
fresh cilantro
fresh lime wedges

In a large pot heat 1 tablespoon of oil.  Add onions and cook until lightly caramelized.  Add the chili powder and tomato paste and stir continuously over medium heat for 1 minute.  Add the chicken stock, stir to combine and simmer for 5 minutes.  Add the corn, black beans, chopped chilies, tomatoes including all the juice, chicken and cilantro.  Simmer for a couple of minutes until everything is heated through.

To make the tortilla strips heat about 1/4-inch of oil in a fry pan.  Working quickly in batches so not to over crowd the pan, fry up the strips until light golden brown.  Remove to a plate lined with paper towels.  As soon as you remove the strips from the oil sprinkle with sea salt.

To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and top with the tortilla strips as well as your choice of diced avocado, crumbled queso fresco, a dollop of sour cream, fresh cilantro and a big squeeze of fresh lime.

Enjoy!!

Blog Parties I may be attending:  Cast Party Wednesday, Delectable Tuesday, Everyday Sisters Sharing Sundays, Fat Camp Friday, Food on Fridays, Food Trip Friday, Foodie Friday, Fresh Food Friday, Friday Favorites, Friday Food, Friday Potluck, Full Plate Thursday, Homemaker Monday, Jam Hands, Let’s do Brunch, Make a Food-e-Friend Mondays, Mangia Monday’s, Melt in Your Mouth Monday, Menu Mondays, Mingle Monday, Mommy’s Kitchen, Mouth Watering Monday, Savory Sunday, Seasonal Sunday, Simply Delish, Tasty Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday’s, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, This Chick Cooks, This Week’s Cravings, Totally Tasty Tuesdays, Tuesday Night Supper Club, Tuesday Time Out, Tuesday’s Tasty Tidbits, Recipes I Can’t Wait to Try, What’s Cooking Wednesday, What’s on the Menu Wednesday, Your Recipe My Kitchen

17 comments:

  1. yummy! this looks great! I found your blog through a link party and I LOVE it! I am your newest follower and would love it if you would come check out my blog and follow me too! Thanks!
    -Nikki
    http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa,
    Your Fire Roasted Tomato and Chicken Tortilla Soup looks delicious.
    I would like to invite you to link up a recipe at Full Plate Thursday. Hope you are having a great week!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. love this recipe very versatile for me come see me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com and see what I shared

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so tasty! I love tortilla soup and I am always looking for different varieties. Next time, I will use the fire roasted tomatoes in mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this looks wonderful! Thanks so much for linking up to Savory Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That soup sounds fantastic with the roasted tomatoes. Yum! I wanted to invite you to come over and share your recipe at These Chicks Cooked Recipe Spotlight today. Have a great day :)
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks wonderful and refreshing! What a great soup to have in this hot weather! Thanks for sharing.

    Amy
    http://utry.it

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lisa,
    I was so excited to see that you brought the soup to share with us today. It is an awesome soup! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday, have a great week end and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  9. sounds so delicious...would be great to try it, for sure! thanks for sharing and have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. that looks deliciously spicy! hope you could visit me at http://www.eatdrinkblog.info/dinner-at-mc-donalds/

    and hope you don't mind, i will be adding this blog into my blogroll. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds awesome! Thanks for linking to Fat Camp Friday, see you next week! http://bit.ly/jHOrlN

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey! Just came by to make sure you know you are featured on Savory Sunday this week!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Lisa...this does sound tasty! And I think you've worked it out perfectly so that you and your hubs can both get what you want ;) Thanks for adding this link to my "after-quest"...I will never stop trying new versions, so one day.... =]

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, you had me at "super quick and easy to make," and then I actually read the recipe and I believe you! :) This looks fabulous. I will definitely be making this soon.

    ReplyDelete

I love and adore your wonderful comments, so please don't be shy and let me know that you visited.

I also love responding to your comments but I can't do that if you're a no-reply blogger. Please link your e-mail up to your profile so that I can reply to you.

It's a simple change and here's how you do it.

1. From your PROFILE, go to your DASHBOARD.
2. Go to EDIT PROFILE
3. Click 'SHARE MY PROFILE'
4. Click 'SHOW MY E-MAIL ADDRESS'
5. Enter in your e-mail address.

Easy-peasy and now I can reply to all your e-mails and questions!

Related Posts with Thumbnails