Monday, May 30, 2011

Stir-Fried Asparagus with Water Chestnuts, Ginger & Cashews

IMG_7821e The other day I was out shopping and the market had gorgeous super thin asparagus at a ridiculously low price.  I grabbed two pounds and planned on grilling them…like I always do…because it’s fast, easy and we love the flavor.  That night though while perusing some cooking blogs I opened One Perfect Bite and saw her recipe for Stir-Fried Asparagus with Chopped Nuts and Ginger and knew immediately that I was going to change things up in our house and use her recipe…with just a few changes of my own. 

Grilling will always be one of my go-to ways of preparing asparagus but this recipe will also become a regular on our table as other than the asparagus it uses ingredients that I always have on hand, it was simple, fast and totally delicious.  So delicious in fact that I found myself grabbing a piece or two off the leftovers every time I walked by the plate.  I think that this would also be wonderful had I added some thinly sliced chicken breast and made it a full meal with protein.  Come to think of it, using this method and ingredients with nice long beans from our garden would be wonderful, I’ll have to give that a try once our beans come in this summer.  I really enjoyed this dish hot out of the pan, room temperature as I was picking at the leftovers and even cold the next day for breakfast.  Yes I ate this for breakfast, it was that good.  I hope that you’ll give this recipe a try and let me know how you like it.

Stir-Fried Asparagus with Water Chestnuts, Ginger & Cashews  (Adapted from here)

2 TBS. dark sesame oil
1 TBS. peanut oil
4 TBS fresh grated ginger
2 – 8oz. cans sliced water chestnuts, rinsed and drained
2 lbs. fresh asparagus, cleaned and diagonally cut into 2-inch long pieces
3 TBS kabayaki sauce
1/2 cup salted cashews, roughly chopped

Heat a wok or large frying pan and add the sesame & peanut oils heating until the oil shimmers.  Add the ginger and cook for 1 minute, stirring often.  Add the water chestnuts and cook for 1 minute.  Add the asparagus and cook for 3-4 minutes, until barely tender and still bright green. Add the kabayaki sauce and nuts and toss to coat everything well.  Cook 2 minutes longer. Serve immediately.

Enjoy!!

Blog Parties I may be attending:  Cast Party Wednesday, Delectable Tuesday, Everyday Sisters Sharing Sundays, Fat Camp Friday, Food on Fridays, Food Trip Friday, Foodie Friday, Fresh Food Friday, Friday Favorites, Friday Food, Friday Potluck, Full Plate Thursday, Homemaker Monday, Jam Hands, Let’s do Brunch, Make a Food-e-Friend Mondays, Mangia Monday’s, Melt in Your Mouth Monday, Menu Mondays, Mingle Monday, Mommy’s Kitchen, Mouth Watering Monday, Savory Sunday, Seasonal Sunday, Simply Delish, Tasty Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday’s, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, This Chick Cooks, This Week’s Cravings, Totally Tasty Tuesdays, Tuesday Night Supper Club, Tuesday Time Out, Tuesday’s Tasty Tidbits, Recipes I Can’t Wait to Try, What’s Cooking Wednesday, What’s on the Menu Wednesday, Your Recipe My Kitchen

21 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the link. The changes you've made to the recipe sound delicious. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa,
    First of all you have a beautiful name. :)
    Second, I always grill the asparagus too, and will have to try this recipe next time! I don't usually have water chestnuts on hand but love that idea with the ginger and cashews - yum. I could eat this for breakfast right now, not kidding!
    Thanks for linking up to Mangia Mondays, and hope you will indeed link up every week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lisa!
    Just popped in from Mary's One Perfect Bite and boy am I glad. What a nice blog you have.

    I haven't time now to peek around but I have bookmarked and will be back!

    Your Asparagus look gorgeous!!! (can asparagus look gorgeous I wonder:)

    Thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  4. that looks just gorgeous! I also have some skinny asparagus in the fridge now and this is a great inspiration! I don't have water chestnuts though (wish I had) so wil porbably do some subs, but still a fantastic looking dish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love asparagus! This looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa, can you get the kabayaki sauce in the regular grocery store? This recipe looks fab. Lauren and I both love asparagus, so I'm printing it out to try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh My GOSH! This looks so good! I'm putting this recipe on my menu for next week. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! This sounds soo good. I need to start using fresh ginger!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lisa,
    Your Stir Fried Asparagus with Water Chestnuts looks amazing. This is a dish that we will really enjoy. It looks so good I can almost taste it. Thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you again soon! I am your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  10. looks really great and delicious plus healthy too! you made it sounds so easy and thanks for sharing your recipe, will definitely be in our table soon! have a great day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love how you plated this dish. mouth-watering!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi! I found your recipe linked at Mangoes & Chutney. It looks delicious and I happen to have extra asparagus, left over from a quiche. I'm going to give this a try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This recipe looks wonderful - I love all of the flavors you've utilized. Thanks for linking this up to Friday Potluck.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your blog!! I am definitely going to be your new follower :) I would love it if you followed me to @ for-the-luv-of.blogspot.com that would be great :) I am just starting out, but I am excited to share new recipes, crafts, and makeup.. And Giving away giveaways on mineral make-up!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey! Just thought I would let you know a featured you on Savory Sunday! The new hop is up so I'd love for you to come and share another recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Lisa, I found you from Savory Sunday. This looks absolutely delicious. I can't wait to get my hands on some asparagus to make this. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cook Lisa Cook! This recipe looks great! Thanks for linking this to Fat Camp Friday, see you next time!

    ReplyDelete
  18. this looks absolutely gorgeous...like a magazine photo. i love all your ingredients. my husband eats so few veggies, but will eat asparagus...so i definitely will be making this! thank you for sharing with tuedsay night supper club...i hope you continue to join up in our new monthly format!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations!
    You are featured on Full Plate Thursday this week. You are welcome to pick up your Red Plate if you like.
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

I love and adore your wonderful comments, so please don't be shy and let me know that you visited.

I also love responding to your comments but I can't do that if you're a no-reply blogger. Please link your e-mail up to your profile so that I can reply to you.

It's a simple change and here's how you do it.

1. From your PROFILE, go to your DASHBOARD.
2. Go to EDIT PROFILE
3. Click 'SHARE MY PROFILE'
4. Click 'SHOW MY E-MAIL ADDRESS'
5. Enter in your e-mail address.

Easy-peasy and now I can reply to all your e-mails and questions!

Related Posts with Thumbnails