Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Mango, Lime & Chile Spiced Ice Box Pie

If you’ve followed this blog at all you know that I adore mango, spicy foods and often recipes that are just a bit different so when I saw a recipe for Mango-Chile Ice Box Pie on Rachel’s Coconut & Lime blog, I knew that I had to make it.  I’ve never made an ice box pie so this was my first attempt and wow was it easy and not having to turn on the oven in the middle of the summer was an added benefit.  The pie was definitely different but wonderful with the sweetness of the mango, the tang of the lime, the creaminess of the cream cheese and then the heat of the chipotle, well it was a fun and perfect combination for these hot summer days.  The chipotle wasn’t a hit you in the face sort of spicy but more of a nice little heat and wonderful flavor on the finish.  If you’re afraid of spice you could cut it back a bit but don’t cut it out completely as it really is delicious!

IMG_9312eMango, Lime & Chile Spiced Ice Box Pie (Adapted from here)

Pie filling:
4 mangoes, flesh removed and chunked
8 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature (I used low-fat Neufchâtel cream cheese)
14 oz. sweetened condensed milk
juice of 2 limes
1 teaspoon chipotle chile powder (or less if you’re a bit spice phobic)
zest of 2 limes

Crust:
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 cups Graham cracker crumbs
2 TBS. granulated sugar

To make the crust: Stir together the melted butter, graham cracker crumbs & sugar and then press into and up the sides of a 9-inch deep-dish pie pan. Set aside.

To make the filling: Add the mango, cream cheese, condensed milk, lime juice & chipotle chile powder to a blender and process until smooth and free of lums.  Stir in the lime zest.

Pour the filling into the crust. Refrigerate until set, at least 2 hours.

Enjoy!

18 comments:

  1. Yum. Will have to try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How gorgeous, unique and delicious! Don't think I could sell my picky family on this one, but I'd certainly love a slice (or two).

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds so amazing. I can just imagine the subtle kick of the chile. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This look really delicious and tasty, love the basil in the picture!! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  5. This does not sound like something I would normally be willing to try but it looks so good in the picture that I think I'm going to have to!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds pretty good to me! I think those flavors would be a great mix! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok I am going to try this one next. The sweet potato recipes was such a winner that I have to try this one too! Thanks for getting me out of a food rut!

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for the recipe.. it sure looks yummy :) was here for FTF.. see you back :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummy! and no baking involved :) Visiting from FTF!

    The Twerp and I

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks very sweet, I am sure everyone can follow the recipe mine is up and its here thanks Little World of Fun

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun pie! I am crazy for mangoes and ice box pies in general. There's nothing better than the sweet and spicy flavor combo. I've never had a spicy dessert before though. I'm game. It's looks deliciouis.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Lisa,
    What a great flavor combination for a pie. All those wonderful summertime flavors with a touch of heat. We are going to love this pie!Hope you have a wonderful holiday week end and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  13. im drooling!! that look so yummy!!
    mine is up here SAHM Reviews.Net

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an amazing treat! Thank you for bringing it to Friday Potluck this week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh my, that looks really good and anything with lime I looove...

    visiting via FTF:
    http://www.cherryeveryday.com/2011/09/pasta-carbonara/

    ReplyDelete

I love and adore your wonderful comments, so please don't be shy and let me know that you visited.

I also love responding to your comments but I can't do that if you're a no-reply blogger. Please link your e-mail up to your profile so that I can reply to you.

It's a simple change and here's how you do it.

1. From your PROFILE, go to your DASHBOARD.
2. Go to EDIT PROFILE
3. Click 'SHARE MY PROFILE'
4. Click 'SHOW MY E-MAIL ADDRESS'
5. Enter in your e-mail address.

Easy-peasy and now I can reply to all your e-mails and questions!

Related Posts with Thumbnails