Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Jamaican Jerk Meat Pies

Almost four months ago I joined The Secret Recipe Club and because of that I have been having so much fun discovering new blogs and recipes.  Because of that group I’ve enjoyed making some great new recipes, Home Style Chicken Curry, Holy Guacamole and Cilantro Lime Chicken.  I’ve really enjoyed participating with other food bloggers in posting and sharing our finds, adaptations and new-to-us recipes all on the same day and at the same time.  I thought a once a month cooking and posting commitment would be a lot of fun and probably just the right amount of work and commitment to keep me motivated in posting to my previously neglected cooking blog.  Never did I imagine that it would really light a spark and get me posting more…and a lot more.  In the past four months I have posted a total of 53 recipes which isn’t much less than what I posted during the previous five years combined, which was a total of only 59 recipes.  Looks like 2011 is going to be a good and delicious year here in the Cook Lisa Cook house. 

Since I’ve been having so much fun with my Secret Recipe Club postings I decided to join another cooking group.  If you’ve read much of this blog or my Moments with Maisie blog, you know that we love to travel and we enjoy foods from all over the world.  So when I saw that German Mama of From Arepas to Zwetschgen was starting a new cooking group called Cook Around the Globe, I thought what a perfect fit for me and how fun it would be to join again with other food bloggers and explore recipes from an assigned region of the world.  I had fun cooking along with the theme this month and I’m looking forward to see where I’ll be visiting next with new food flavors and recipes.  Check out From Arepas to Zwetschgen on September 1st to see all the other bloggers who are participating as well as their recipes as we Cook Around the Globe.    

IMG_0234e For this, the inaugural month of Cook Around the Globe the theme is Bermuda & the Caribbean "North" (Bahamas, Turks & Caicos, Cayman Islands, Cuba, Jamaica, Haiti, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico.)  As it worked out, I have had a recipe idea swirling around in my mind for many, many months, to combine a traditional Jamaican meat pie with my favorite Jerk Chicken marinade and make a Jamaican Jerk Meat Pie.  What had stopped me though from attempting this was really two things.  First, I’m not always great at making pastry dough and honestly I just couldn’t motivate myself to take on the challenge and second, I rarely fry things in the house.  When light finally dawned on Marblehead here and I realized that I could use ready-to-cook tortillas, well that took away the biggest hurdle.  Then, because my idea fit so perfectly with the theme this month, well I decided that this was my opportunity to give my recipe a try so I decided to fry.

The process of making the pies was quite simple.  First, the Jerk Sauce all comes together in a blender, easy peasy.  For the filling I browned my meat, added the veggies and Jerk Sauce and cooked it for a few minutes and the filling was done.  Then the dough was easy, open the package.  Forming the pies wasn’t difficult but I have included pictures of the process.  Then it was just a quick fry to cook the dough as the filling was already completely cooked. 

The ready-to-cook flour tortilla wrappers worked out perfectly, making a nice thin, crunchy crust.  The pies were best right out of the fry pan but they were still pretty tasty the following day when I heated them up in the oven so to “crisp up” the dough.  Eammon and I really enjoyed the flavor of the Jerk seasoning and the pies had just a little bit of spicy kick, not overly spicy or spicy “hot”.  Because we really enjoy spicy “hot”, I think next time I’ll add a second Scotch Bonnet to the mix.  These Jerk pies were also a nice change in flavor from the traditional Jamaican meat pies that we usually enjoy.  I’ll be making these again and I hope that you’ll give this recipe a try too and enjoy it as much as we did.

IMG_0210eWorking one (half) tortilla at a time, paint half of the straight edge with the water/flour “glue.”  Don’t be stingy as you want the dough to stick together and the “glue” will cook when the pies are fried so it won’t be noticed.

 IMG_0211eCreate a cone by wrapping the edge with the “glue” over the other half of the straight edge and squeeze along the “glue” line to seal.

IMG_0215ePlace approx. 1/4 cup of the cooked meat mixture into the cone.

IMG_0217ePaint the flour/water “glue” along half of the inside open edge.

IMG_0218eSqueeze the open edge closed to seal tightly.

IMG_0219eThe sealed up pie ready to be fried.

IMG_0221eThe pies fried up very quickly as I was only trying to cook the dough because the filling was already cooked.  Turn pies to cook both sides and when golden brown, remove to a paper towel lined pan to drain.

IMG_0241eDelicious!

Jamaican Jerk Meat Pies

1 lb. ground chuck
1 Scotch Bonnet (habanero) pepper, seeded
8 scallions, trimmed, whites & greens
3 large cloves garlic
1/4 cup white vinegar 
1 TBS soy sauce 
1 tsp dried thyme 
2 TBS powdered allspice 
1/2 tsp cinnamon 
2 TBS Whey Low Gold or brown sugar
1 cup frozen veggie mix, I used peas, carrots, corn and green beans
8 (8-inch) ready-to-cook flour tortillas, cut in half

a bit of flour and water mixed together to form a paste to "glue" the dough together
Oil for frying, your choice: corn, vegetable, canola

In a large skillet brown the meat breaking it apart as it cooks into a fine mince. 

While the meat is cooking add the Scotch Bonnet, scallions, garlic, vinegar, soy sauce, thyme, allspice, cinnamon and brown sugar to a blender and process until smooth.

Once the meat is mostly browned, add the veggies and all of the Jerk sauce from the blender.  Continue cooking the meat until it is fully cooked and most of the Jerk sauce has been absorbed.

Heat about 1/2-inch of oil in a large fry pan.

Working with one half of a tortilla at a time, paint the water/flour “glue” along half of the straight edge and then fold the “glue” edge over the other half of the straight edge to form a cone.  Press well to seal.  Add about 1/4 cup of the meat mixture to the cone.  Paint the “glue” along half of the still open inside edge and then seal up the pie. 

Fry the pies on both sides until golden.  Remove to a paper towel lined pan and allow the pies to drain.  Serve hot or at room temperature. 

Enjoy!

22 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun group to be a part of. These look so delicious and the flavors sound amazing. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look delicious!!! I love Jamaican jerk anything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look and sound delicious!! I fell in love with Jamaican mean pies when my husband and I were there 4 years ago for our honeymoon. Would be great to try these out and surpise him. :) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW - these look amazing! So nice to meet you through the SRC!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look fantastic!! What a great idea to use the tortillas. I just about drooling all over my computer over these!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look so delicious, what a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for participating in the event. These little pies look like an awesome snack!

    ReplyDelete
  8. looks so delicious .. yummy .. thanks for sharing ..

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know what this reminds me off? The Indian Samosas. Its made exactly like this, only the stuffing is with mincemeat as opposed to chuncks of meat! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm fascinated by these flour tortilla wrappers. Are they like eggroll wrappers? Either way these meat pies look delicious!

    PS - You could also use spiced coconut vinegar that you'll find in Asian markets. It's dark brown with what looks like "stuff" floating in it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We are all benefiting from your increased posting! And what a fun new cooking challenge...I'm tempted to join in, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely fantastic! I rarely fry anything but these would be worth it. Pinning this one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. YUM! Your recipe looks really good! I would love it if you came over to Cast Party Wednesday tomorrow and shared this recipe with us.
    Thanks,
    I hope to see you there!
    http://ladybehindthecurtain.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. yummm those look totally delish! if i wasn't on a diet, i would be making them tonight ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I came across your blog on This Chick Cooks and I love your post!


    I would love it if you would drop by Jane Deere and link up to Fusion Fridays with your favorite or most recent recipes, handmade crafts, diy projects, tips & tricks, and how to's! { open through Wednesday! }

    http://janedeereblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. This recipe looks so good and I should not be hungry, for I just ate. But I do believe that if I had one of these sitting in front of me now, I wold scarf it up. I will for sure try this for my family and friends. Thanks for sharing. I will be a new follower of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks delicious. I don't think I've had this before. :) Yum! It's like making some turon. Visiting via FTF.

    Adin B

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Lisa,
    What a great meat pie, with all the wonderful flavors of Jamaica. I can't wait to make these. Hope you are having a great week and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks delish.

    Thanks for sharing with us at
    Simply Delish Saturday

    ReplyDelete
  20. You've made an absolutely wonderful job of these Jamaican Jerk Meat Pies - they look fantastic! Love the recipe as well - spicy-licious! Thank you for sharing this post with Let's Do Brunch.

    ReplyDelete
  21. that looks so delicious! thanks for sharing your recipe and how to do it step-by-step! visiting late from FTF, hope you can visit me back! thanks and have a great week. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love and adore your wonderful comments, so please don't be shy and let me know that you visited.

I also love responding to your comments but I can't do that if you're a no-reply blogger. Please link your e-mail up to your profile so that I can reply to you.

It's a simple change and here's how you do it.

1. From your PROFILE, go to your DASHBOARD.
2. Go to EDIT PROFILE
3. Click 'SHARE MY PROFILE'
4. Click 'SHOW MY E-MAIL ADDRESS'
5. Enter in your e-mail address.

Easy-peasy and now I can reply to all your e-mails and questions!

Related Posts with Thumbnails