Saturday, July 2, 2011

Rhubarb Crisp

From the time I was a little girl I have always loved rhubarb yet I never make it because I’m the only one in the house who will eat adores it.  The other reason I never make dishes with rhubarb is because anything with rhubarb requires the use of a LOT of sugar and I’ve been trying to really cut sugar from my diet.  About a year ago I found some sugar substitutes that I’ve been using in my baking and they are fabulous as I can’t tell that I’m using something other than sugar.  So recently when I saw an interesting and easy recipe for rhubarb crisp on Keeping Up With the Times I realized that it would be a great opportunity for me to make the sugar substitutions and indulge.  What I love most about this recipe is that it is rhubarb, no strawberries, no apples, no fancy spices, just rhubarb and a simple crisp topping. 
I have to say that I absolutely adored this recipe and there was only one thing wrong with it and that was how delicious it was and how much of it I wanted to eat!   Overall it’s not that unhealthy and since I can make it with no added sugar, I’ll be making this whenever I can get my hands on nice fresh rhubarb. 

IMG_8232e Rhubarb Crisp (adapted from here)

5 cups fresh rhubarb, cut into 1-inch pieces
Syrup
1 TBS fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup Whey Low granules or sugar
2 TBS warm water
Crumb
1/2 cup flour
1/8 tsp salt
1/3 cup Whey Low Gold or brown sugar
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup melted butter, cooled

Preheat oven to 350F.

Place the rhubarb in a 6-8 cup casserole dish.  Combine the lemon juice, Whey Low granules (sugar) and water and stir to dissolve.  (If using real sugar you can heat the water and sugar together in the microwave to help melt the sugar then add the lemon juice.)  Pour the syrup over the cut rhubarb and stir to combine and coat evenly.
In a separate bowl combine the flour, salt, Whey Low Gold (brown sugar) and rolled oats.  Add the melted butter and using your fingers, mix to combine into a crumbly mix.  Sprinkle over the rhubarb.

Bake 40 minutes until the rhubarb is bubbly around the edges and the crisp has started to brown.  Serve warm or room temperature.

Enjoy!!

IMG_8227e

3 comments:

  1. How wonderful that you tried my recipe and loved it! Thank you for crediting me! :) Your version looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, I've never cooked with rhubarb, this being a delicacy where I live. Crisp sounds like the perfect recipe to start cooking this lovely fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, heaven! Looks similar to a recipe I use (except mine has a lot more sugar).

    http://southernfood.about.com/od/fruitcrisps/r/bl30623m.htm

    ReplyDelete

I love and adore your wonderful comments, so please don't be shy and let me know that you visited.

I also love responding to your comments but I can't do that if you're a no-reply blogger. Please link your e-mail up to your profile so that I can reply to you.

It's a simple change and here's how you do it.

1. From your PROFILE, go to your DASHBOARD.
2. Go to EDIT PROFILE
3. Click 'SHARE MY PROFILE'
4. Click 'SHOW MY E-MAIL ADDRESS'
5. Enter in your e-mail address.

Easy-peasy and now I can reply to all your e-mails and questions!

Related Posts with Thumbnails