Monday, February 13, 2012

Malted Pretzel Crunch

WARNING:  Do not make this recipe!

IMG_3299eI swear this is the sweet & salty snack version of “crack” because after just one bite you’re addicted and before you know it you’ve eaten the entire batch, are jonesing for more and thinking up excuses to make another batch or three or four so that you can actually share some while getting your fix.  My bloggy pal, Lisa of Parsley, Sage, Desserts and Line Drives posted her Malted Pretzel Crunch for Super Bowl Sunday a mere ten days ago and I’m embarrassed and not going to admit how much of this “crack” I have made and consumed.  If my Spicy Brown Sugar Bacon wasn’t addiction enough, now I have a new one so thanks a lot Lisa, thanks a lot!

IMG_3243eAdd the pretzels and dry ingredients to a bowl.

IMG_3245eMix in the melted butter,

IMG_3247eSpread the mixture onto a Silpat lined baking pan.

IMG_3253eOne hot delicious mess straight from the oven,

IMG_3295eMalted Pretzel Crunch (recipe from here) 

4 cups salted mini pretzels – about 1/2 of a 16-ounce bag
1/2 cup tightly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
6 tablespoons milk powder
1/4 cup malt powder
1 teaspoon salt
14 tablespoons butter (1 stick, plus 6 tablespoons), melted

Preheat the oven to 275 F.

Pour the pretzels in a large bowl and crush them with your hands to one-quarter of their original size. Add the brown and granulated sugars, milk powder, malt powder & salt and toss to mix. Add the melted butter and toss to coat. As you toss, the butter will act as glue, binding the dry ingredients to the pretzels and creating small clusters. (I did not get small clusters but once baked, it formed a sheet of pretzel crunch that I broke into pieces).

Spread the clusters on a Silpat or parchment paper lined sheet pan and bake for 20 minutes, until it looks toasted and smells buttery. 

If you can wait long enough before starting to snack, cool the pretzel crunch completely. Once completely cooled, if there’s anything left, break into pieces.  Store the crunch in an airtight container at room temperature, the crunch will keep fresh for 1 week (not in this house mind you); in the fridge or freezer, it will keep for 1 month. Lisa’s comment and I agree,  “I think these would be fantastic in cookies with chocolate chunks OR pour or drizzle melted chocolate over the top of the sheet of pretzel crunch, let set, then break into pieces – like toffee.”

Enjoy!

16 comments:

  1. love crunchy sweet snacks these sound delicious come see what I shared http://shopannies.blogspot.com/2012/02/adele-coming-back.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. My. YUM! This looks amazing! Totally crack-like addictive, I bet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa! Your pretzel crunch looks so much better than mine..seems you got more caramelization in the oven! Was Maisie able to eat it since the pretzels contain flour? It utterly addicting, indeed! Can you talk this week?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can just tell by your pictures that this is my kind of snack, treat, dessert, breakfast, anytime of day eats. :) Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! Pinned. Heading to the store tomorrow to get my hands on some of the malt powder so I can make this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks yummy! I'd love to have you share it at my party...it's going on now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to try this recipe! My daughter will love it :) Visiting from Food Trip Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. With food looking good like that, who wouldn't like to eat a lot? Lol! My son will surely love your Malted Pretzel Crunch. I hope you can visit my FTF entry, too: http://www.delightmyappetite.com/2012/02/delicious-spam-musubi-from-mister-musubi/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sinfully delicious!I'd like to make this one!^_^

    http://ties-bonding.blogspot.com/2012/02/our-10th-anniversary-celebration.html

    Happy FTF!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This recipe scares me! It looks fantastic. We have a terrific beef,carrot ginger wrap and a great book review today. Come visit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lisa,
    This is an awesome treat that I can't wait to make. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and have a great week end.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've made a version of this without the malt...dear god, I can't imagine the lack of self control if I added the malt too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh gosh... good thing we don't have oven here at home! :) I might get addicted to it, too.

    Hopping here from Food Trip Friday, my entry is posted here:
    Pan de Amerikana - Marikina

    Happy weekends!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Look really good, I am inviting you come and be part of my blog hop:
    http://juliejewels1.blogspot.com/2012/02/show-your-stuff-11-animal-cracker.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. what a yummy treat :-) thank you for sharing the recipe too. Visiting late from Food Trip Friday, hope that you can return the visit too.

    http://www.adventurousjessy.com/2012/02/my-first-time-to-cook-chicken-wings.html

    ReplyDelete

I love and adore your wonderful comments, so please don't be shy and let me know that you visited.

I also love responding to your comments but I can't do that if you're a no-reply blogger. Please link your e-mail up to your profile so that I can reply to you.

It's a simple change and here's how you do it.

1. From your PROFILE, go to your DASHBOARD.
2. Go to EDIT PROFILE
3. Click 'SHARE MY PROFILE'
4. Click 'SHOW MY E-MAIL ADDRESS'
5. Enter in your e-mail address.

Easy-peasy and now I can reply to all your e-mails and questions!

Related Posts with Thumbnails