Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Baked Egg & Avocado

IMG_3239e Not only have I lately been on a lemon kick with my Glazed Lemon Squares, Ponderosa Lemon & Sour Cream Tart, Dark Chocolate Dipped Candied Lemon Peels and my Double Chocolate Meyer Lemon Mousse Cake but I’ve also been on a major avocado kick, adding it to a lot of salads, sandwiches, soups and other dishes.  A while back I saw a picture of an egg baked in an avocado (sorry I don’t remember where so as to give credit) and the other morning I awoke dreaming of it so I had to make it.  IMG_3222eI cut an avocado in half, removed the pit and scooped out a bit of the flesh to make room for the egg.

IMG_3227eObviously I didn’t quite scoop out enough as my egg runneth over.  No worries though as I just used what my avocado could hold. I added salt and pepper and then I carefully transferred the egg filled avocado to the hot pan in the oven,

IMG_3234eHot and delicious straight from the oven.  The white was nicely set, the the yolk was still soft and a bit runny and the warm avocado was creamy…pure deliciousness!


IMG_3241eBaked Egg & Avocado
for each serving:

  • 1/2 an avocado, pitted and some of the flesh removed to make room for the egg
  • 1 small or medium egg
  • salt & pepper to taste

    Place a heavy bottomed oven safe pan in the oven and heat to 425 F.  Fill the prepared avocado with an egg and add salt & pepper to taste,  Once the oven is hot carefully transfer the filled avocado halves to the hot pan.  Cook for 10 minutes or until your eggs are at the firmness you desire.

Enjoy!

23 comments:

  1. Finally the page loaded. I can't believe how simple that recipe is. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful idea and I love the the combination. I know my kids would love this. GOtta try making this for breakfast on weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this combination... this goes with my toast for breakfast :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this great idea...a nutritious breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been wanting to try this! It does sound so creamy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We just had scrambled eggs and avocado for dinner, how funny! I will have to try this. I would love for you to link up to my Recipe Party at The Sweet Spot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this idea! So healthy and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh my goodness....love eggs and love avocados...def. going to try this

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made this for my lunch today, it was so good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Jo, so glad that you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum, yum. Thanks for sharing with Simply Delish.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks so good! What an original idea. I will be trying this later this week. Thanks for sharing over at Homemaker Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks fabulous and so simple! I would spike mine with crushed red pepper as well, because I adore super spicy food! :) Thanks for bringing this lovely recipe to Sugar Free Sunday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. that looks delish and healthy too Sis :-) would love to try it, thank you for th recipe too :-) Visiting late from Food Trip Friday, hope that you can return the visit too.

    http://www.homecookingwithjessy.com/my-egg-omelet-for-breakfast/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for linking up with The Recipe Party!
    I'm following you now & hope to see you again Sunday :)
    <3 Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  16. CONGRATULATIONS!!! Your recipe is featured On Today's Menu Round Up! Please go grab a "featured" button. http://www.ladybehindthecurtain.com/?page_id=1844
    Thank you for sharing your recipe with us at CAST PARTY WEDNESDAY #30.
    ---Sheryl---

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Lisa,
    Your Baked Avocado is awesome a great breakfast treat! Hope you have a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks wonderful and good for you too! Thanks for sharing at allergy free wedesday! Please provide a link to the party somewhere in your post. Hope to see you again next week!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is so dang simple and yummy! I saw it bouncing around last week but never commented. I keep forgetting to try it myself. What's not to like, right?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Each time, I see this photo, I remind myself to make this. It looks so delicious. It is being featured, this week, at Bake with Bizzy.

    Time-wise, this is a dream. It probably takes two or three minutes to prepare and then 10 for the baking. Appetite satisfied 1-2-3. Sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks so yummy! I really need to try this!

    I hope you'll stop by this week's What's New Wednesdays and link up more inspiring things!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Two of Greg's most favorite things - I'll surprise him with this on Father's Day for breakfast! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just tried this. The egg wasnt nearly done after 10 minutes it was still completely raw...Id suggest putting the timer on for at least 15 mins. And Im not sure how I feel about the taste, its not bad though.

    ReplyDelete

I love and adore your wonderful comments, so please don't be shy and let me know that you visited.

I also love responding to your comments but I can't do that if you're a no-reply blogger. Please link your e-mail up to your profile so that I can reply to you.

It's a simple change and here's how you do it.

1. From your PROFILE, go to your DASHBOARD.
2. Go to EDIT PROFILE
3. Click 'SHARE MY PROFILE'
4. Click 'SHOW MY E-MAIL ADDRESS'
5. Enter in your e-mail address.

Easy-peasy and now I can reply to all your e-mails and questions!

Related Posts with Thumbnails