The reason that I call these Crab Cake Stuffed Mushrooms is because I use the exact same recipe to make crab cakes but I like these better as I’m adding the mushroom and I’m not frying anything. If you choose to make these into crab cakes just leave out the mushroom and with the filling, pat it into cakes, dust lightly with flour and fry in a hot skillet drizzled with oil. Fry until browned, 4-5 minutes and then carefully flip to fry the other side until golden.
Using a tablespoon I fill the mushrooms really full with the filling and then I sprinkle on some paprika. These are ready for the oven.
- 24 oz. mushrooms
- 1 pound crabmeat, picked clean of shells
- 22 Ritz Crackers, crushed finely
- 3 green onions (green and white parts), finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Hellmann’s real mayonnaise
- 1 TBS chia seeds, stir into 1/4 cup warm water and allow to hydrate and form a gel (or substitute one egg)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 TBS fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
Clean the mushrooms, remove the stems and with a spoon scoop out the gills. Set aside the stems and gills for another recipe, (soon to be posted.) In a large bowl, except for the mushroom caps, mix together all the ingredients. Using a Tablespoon fill the mushroom caps nice and high with the filling. Place the filled mushrooms on the prepared baking pan and dust with paprika.
Bake for 20 minutes until the mushrooms are tender and the top of the filling is golden brown.