It’s that time of year again when our garden is busting with cucumbers so I’m once again on the lookout for delicious ways to enjoy our bounty. Last summer my absolute favorite way to enjoy the cucumbers was my Spicy Asian Cucumber Salad and though I know that I’ll be making that salad many times this summer I decided to try a new salad this year with our first harvest. I was reading Roz’s blog la bella vita and she had a recipe for a Thai Cucumber Salad which really caught my attention so with my first cucumber harvest of the season I present my version of Roz’s salad which was wonderfully delicious and going into the cucumber salad rotation for future harvests.
- 5 cucumbers, seeded (you can also peel them if you like)
- 2 medium red onions
- 4 Thai red chilies, minced (I left the seeds in for the heat but they can be removed)
- 1 large bunch cilantro, chopped
- 3 TBS. peanut oil
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 TBS. soy sauce
- 3 TBS. Thai garlic chili pepper sauce (this is not HOT sauce at all)
- the zest and juice of 4 fresh limes
- 1/4 cup Whey Low Gold (or palm sugar or brown sugar)
- 3 TBS Thai Fish Sauce
- 1/2 tsp. fresh ground pepper
Using a mandolin or food processor, thinly slice the cucumber and the onions and add to a large bowl. Slice the Thai red chilies into rings, leaving in the seeds for extra heat and add to the cucumber & onions. Chop a bunch of cilantro and also add to the bowl.
In a separate bowl mix together the dressing ingredients and then pour over the cucumber mixture and stir to coat. Put the entire mixture in a Ziploc bag and allow to marinate overnight. This easily keeps in the refrigerator for a good week…if it lasts that long.