Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Long Beans with Walnuts

IMG_8702eDoesn’t that just look delicious?  Well let me tell you, it tasted even more wonderful than it looked. 

IMG_8696eRecently Maisie and I picked the first long beans if the season from our garden.  As luck would have it, I had just tucked away a recipe for Skillet Green Beans with Spiced Walnuts and I knew that the recipe was going to be the inspiration for our beans.  This recipe had wonderful flavor and the heat from the cayenne wasn’t in-your-face but sort of a tingle on the finish.  I really enjoyed this preparation and found that I liked it hot from the pan, at room temperature but even better, loved it cold the next day on top of a salad of greens.  I hope that you’ll give it a try.

Long Beans with Walnuts (Adapted from here)

2 TBS. bacon fat, butter or oil (I used bacon fat because I had just fried up some hickory smoked bacon for another recipe and was too lazy to wash the pan.  After tasting the beans I would definitely use bacon fat each and every time I make this dish, total yum!)
1 oz. piloncillo, grated or shaved (or brown sugar)
1 tsp. fresh grated ginger
1/8 tsp. cayenne, more or less to taste
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 lb. long beans or string beans, cut in 2-inch lengths
Salt & pepper to taste

In a large skillet over medium-low, heat the bacon fat, piloncillo and ginger until the sugar is melted and the ginger starts to become fragrant.  Add the cayenne and walnuts.  Stir to coat the nuts well with the sugar & fat mixture.  Add the beans and toss to coat stirring for about 1 minute.  Cover and reduce temperature to low.  Allow the beans to cook for about 5 minutes.  Remove lid, stir to coat everything and taste for degree of doneness.  The long beans are done when they are cooked but still have a bit of bite, season as needed with salt & pepper. 

Enjoy!!

2 comments:

  1. That looks really delicious. I have never seen long beans before. Do they taste just like green beans? I'm very intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The long beans do taste quite similar to string beans but no string. I find the long beans a bit less fibrous and because you harvest and eat them before they reach full maturity, the seeds are quite small. over all the beans are crisp but quite tender and are delicious both cooked and raw. I do see them in our local Asian market in case you're looking for some to try.

    ReplyDelete

I love and adore your wonderful comments, so please don't be shy and let me know that you visited.

I also love responding to your comments but I can't do that if you're a no-reply blogger. Please link your e-mail up to your profile so that I can reply to you.

It's a simple change and here's how you do it.

1. From your PROFILE, go to your DASHBOARD.
2. Go to EDIT PROFILE
3. Click 'SHARE MY PROFILE'
4. Click 'SHOW MY E-MAIL ADDRESS'
5. Enter in your e-mail address.

Easy-peasy and now I can reply to all your e-mails and questions!

Related Posts with Thumbnails