Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Oriental Chicken Salad

Recently I have been trying to use up items that I have in my pantry and freezer as both are quite full and in need of a clean out.  To that end, I have tried to only purchase fresh veggies and milk each week.  Since I really don’t pre-plan our meals, I get what veggies look good and are at a good price and I work around that with the items available in my pantry and freezer.  In my refrigerator from my last shopping trip I had two large containers of mini red, yellow & orange sweet peppers, a bag of tri-color coleslaw mix and my ever present supply of cilantro & green onion so I knew that I wanted to work with those.  In addition, in the freezer I had a package of breast meat left over from a rotisserie chicken, so it worked out perfectly when I found this recipe for Asian Chicken Salad on Dianna’s Double Batch blog.  As it turned out, I had every ingredient needed to make my adaptation of her recipe…aren’t adaptations wonderful!

We really enjoyed this salad, it was quick to make and very fresh and summery tasting so a perfect recipe to make and enjoy after a long afternoon at the pool

 IMG_8256e2

Oriental Chicken Salad (Adapted from here)

For the salad:

2 packages (3 ounces each) ramen noodle mix, Oriental flavor, flavor packet set aside for dressing
½ cup sliced almonds
1 package (16 ounces) tri-color coleslaw mix
2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
1 large bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
6 green onions, whites & green, chopped
3-4 each, mini red, orange & yellow sweet peppers, cut in long strips
vinaigrette dressing (recipe below)

Heat oven to 350 F.  Break up the ramen noodles and place them and the almonds on a baking sheet.  Bake for about 6 minutes, or until the noodles and almonds turn light brown.

Place slaw mix, chicken, cilantro, green onions & sliced peppers in a large serving bowl.  Toss to combine.

Just before serving, pour the dressing over the salad and toss to coat.  Scatter the toasted almonds and noodles on top and serve.

Vinaigrette dressing:

1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 1/2 TBS fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons honey
Freshly ground black pepper
1 reserved flavor packet from the ramen noodles
1/2 cup olive oil

Mix the vinegar, lemon juice, honey, pepper and one of the reserved flavor packets from the noodles in a blender.  Once combined, with the blender running, gradually blend in the oil.

Enjoy!

Blog Parties I may be attending:  Cast Party Wednesday, Delectable Tuesday, Everyday Sisters Sharing Sundays, Fat Camp Friday, Food on Fridays, Food Trip Friday, Foodie Friday, Fresh Food Friday, Friday Favorites, Friday Food, Friday Potluck, Full Plate Thursday, Homemaker Monday, Jam Hands, Let’s do Brunch, Make a Food-e-Friend Mondays, Mangia Monday’s, Melt in Your Mouth Monday, Menu Mondays, Mingle Monday, Mommy’s Kitchen, Mouth Watering Monday, Savory Sunday, Seasonal Sunday, Simply Delish, Tasty Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday’s, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, This Chick Cooks, This Week’s Cravings, Totally Tasty Tuesdays, Tuesday Night Supper Club, Tuesday Time Out, Tuesday’s Tasty Tidbits, Recipes I Can’t Wait to Try, What’s Cooking Wednesday, What’s on the Menu Wednesday, Your Recipe My Kitchen

32 comments:

  1. Oh yes, I've had this one. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always looking for fabulous salads. This one sounds wonderful. Thanks. I will give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious! If you get a chance, I'd love to have you add this recipe to my Menu Mondays collection: http://myfaithandfamily.wordpress.com/2011/06/13/menu-mondays-split-pea-soup/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum...this sounds great! I love chinese chicken salad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great creation. Looks wonderful. Nice picture.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks beautiful and sounds so good! I love the asian spin.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the idea of going through the pantry like you're doing.. I really should apply that to mine.. :P It's really overflowing with my constant additions.

    Awesome looking salad - I'm going adapt it to create a vegetarian version!

    Thanks for sharing this at this week's Sugar Free Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for visiting my blog and linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This salad looks and sounds fabulous. Can't wait to make it. I know my daughter and I will both LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This recipe sounds really good. I love oriental chicken salad.
    I'm hosting my first link party today Cast Party Wednesday and would love it if you came over and shared this tasty recipe with us.
    http://www.ladybehindthecurtain.com/
    Thanks,
    I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. great food! Happy FTF :)

    http://www.lyzalane.info/2011/06/ftf-grilled-tahong.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. my mom had a friend that would always bring this salad to potluck and i gorged myself on it...so delicious! thank you for sharing the recipe with tuesday night supper club!

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow, a must try food.. looks delicious..

    happy FTF!

    http://theothersideofme-vhen.blogspot.com/2011/06/ftf-puso-ng-saging.html

    see yah!

    ReplyDelete
  14. love that salad! healthy, good for me and baby!

    ReplyDelete
  15. that looks really great and sounds so delicious...thanks for sharing your recipe. wishing you a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Lisa,
    This is an awesome looking Chicken Salad. I just love the combination of flavor in your recipe. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you next week!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks delicious!
    http://sweetteaserendipity.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love it but takes much effort to make it (jst my thought) ^^

    Happy FTF!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yummy! I love all these yummy flavors. I have a great Thai Chicken Salad on my blog that is to die for.
    Got to love a good salad. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this salad (and adaptations of it! :) )

    Thanks for linking this to Food on Fridays and giving me a great idea for lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Would it be weird to say that I'm Asian but haven't tried any oriental inspired salad?

    Visiting via Food Trip Friday. Hope you can visit my entry Little Korean

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks tasty and what a perfect dish for the summer and hot temps!

    ReplyDelete
  23. just wanted to swing by & let you know that i've featured this recipe on my 5 favorites friday!

    http://delightfullydowling.blogspot.com/2011/06/5-favorites-friday-on-saturday.html

    -kristin

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yum! You won my heart with this one. I love Asian salads like this one and I really can't wait to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am drooling with your salad.. Looks so fresh and appetizing.. cant wait to try that.. :)

    Visiting from FTF, hope you could check out my sweet and sour pork entry at Taste Matters

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yum! This looks great! Thanks for linking up to Savory Sunday!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. that looks yummy , healthy too!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Healthy and delicious! I hope you can visit my entry, too. Thanks! http://www.delightmyappetite.com/2011/06/food-trip-friday-krazy-garlik/

    Followed you also; hope you do the same. Would you like to exchange links, too?

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for sharing this tasty recipe with us. You were one of the top 3 most viewed links. So come over tomorrow grab a featured button and please share some more of your awesome recipes with us at Cast Party Wednesday! http://www.ladybehindthecurtain.com
    I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi! I made this yummy salad and featured it on my blog, with a link and credit to you, of course. :) Yum! Thanks
    http://brandysbaking.blogspot.com/2011/06/spicy-asian-chicken-salad.html

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Lisa!!

    Thank you so much for coming by and linking up to Everyday Sisters Sharing Sundays – Theme Chicken!! Unfortunately I had to change the provider we are using to collect the links. I hope you won’t mind coming back over and re-linking your recipe. I’m so sorry for the inconvienence.

    http://everydaysisters.blogspot.com

    Ellen

    ReplyDelete

I love and adore your wonderful comments, so please don't be shy and let me know that you visited.

I also love responding to your comments but I can't do that if you're a no-reply blogger. Please link your e-mail up to your profile so that I can reply to you.

It's a simple change and here's how you do it.

1. From your PROFILE, go to your DASHBOARD.
2. Go to EDIT PROFILE
3. Click 'SHARE MY PROFILE'
4. Click 'SHOW MY E-MAIL ADDRESS'
5. Enter in your e-mail address.

Easy-peasy and now I can reply to all your e-mails and questions!

Related Posts with Thumbnails