Friday, June 24, 2011

Mango Gazpacho

Though I’ve tried many variations throughout the years, I have found that I don’t particularly care for traditional vegetable Gazpacho.  Then again I don’t care for V8 Juice, tomato juice or even bloody Mary’s so I can see why traditional Gazpacho just isn’t my thing.  What I have found though is that when fruit added, like in my Watermelon Tomato Gazpacho, I go absolutely Gaga for it and can’t get enough.  Recently I was perusing some cooking blogs and saw this recipe for Mango Gazpacho and I knew that I had to make it... and immediately as it’s been hot as Hades here in Georgia and I’ve been craving some fruity healthy goodness.  In addition, mangos are in season, on sale and I absolute adore them.  As luck would have it, I saw that mangos were on a super-duper sale this week so I stocked up and I’m glad that I did because I’m going to be making a couple of batches of this Gazpacho as I can’t stop eating it.

IMG_8661e1This Mango Gazpacho is delicious and the sweetness of the mango contrasts nicely with the acidity of the tomatoes and heat of the jalapeno and added hot sauce while the olive oil adds a velvety mouth feel.  This is a great soup for our hot Georgia summer days and I hope that you’ll give it a try and let me know what you think.

 IMG_8661e

Mango Gazpacho (adapted from here)

2 large ripe mangos (about 4 cups), peeled and roughly chopped
6 large very ripe plum tomatoes (about 4 cups), roughly chopped
3 cloves garlic
2 medium shallots
1 cup roughly chopped peeled & seeded cucumber, plus additional diced for garnish
1/2 cup roughly chopped celery
1 jalapeno, seeded & deveined
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 cup vegetable stock or more to reach desired consistency
1/4 cup olive oil, plus additional for garnish
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Favorite hot sauce, for garnish
fresh basil for garnish

In a blender, combine all of the ingredients except the oil, salt, pepper and the garnishes, process until smooth. Then slowly add the olive oil so it blends into the soup. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving.  You can store the soup in the refrigerator up to 2 days, if the soup is too thick after being stored, add additional vegetable stock to thin it out.

When ready to serve, pour the soup into chilled bowls and garnish each one with some diced cucumber, a few drops of hot sauce, olive oil and some fresh basil. Serve immediately.

Enjoy!

If you love mangos, check out my other mango inspired recipes, Mango Thai Chicken and Mango Lassi.

6 comments:

  1. This looks delicious!!!! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Absolutely refreshing for a hot summer night. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! this is such a great idea just recently I posted about gazpacho and adding mango for a different and summery version sounds awesome! Love it!
    Fran

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mangoes make me giddy. This looks delicious and so refreshing. Perfect for our next cookout with this hot humid Houston weather. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds so good! I'm not a huge fan of tomato-based gazpacho, but I bet I could totally get on board with this mango version =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for referring me to your mango recipes. This looks like a winner and I would like to make it. I am going to check out the others.

    You might like to link them to Let's Do Brunch, at my other blog. I am sure they would go over and be a big success.

    http://sweetsav.blogspot.com/2011/06/lets-do-brunch-32.html

    ReplyDelete

I love and adore your wonderful comments, so please don't be shy and let me know that you visited.

I also love responding to your comments but I can't do that if you're a no-reply blogger. Please link your e-mail up to your profile so that I can reply to you.

It's a simple change and here's how you do it.

1. From your PROFILE, go to your DASHBOARD.
2. Go to EDIT PROFILE
3. Click 'SHARE MY PROFILE'
4. Click 'SHOW MY E-MAIL ADDRESS'
5. Enter in your e-mail address.

Easy-peasy and now I can reply to all your e-mails and questions!

Related Posts with Thumbnails