Monday, June 20, 2011

Watermelon Frosty

I saw this recipe for a watermelon frosty on Happy Healthy Life and my mouth and tummy immediately said YES!!  I had watermelon in the house, a few frozen bananas in the freezer and I though I didn’t have any fresh lemons I always keep some frozen lemon juice on hand so I was all set as far as ingredients.  I immediately got some watermelon in the freezer and a few hours later I was relaxing and enjoying a wonderfully refreshing drink.  I love that this drink has no dairy but it’s still creamy and smooth because of the banana.  I’ve made this drink a few times already and have frozen watermelon chunks waiting in the freezer as I plan on making this drink all summer long.  I make the drink sans alcohol but you could always replace some of the water with your favorite alcohol for a more “adult” beverage.

IMG_8415e

Watermelon Frosty (Adapted from here)

2 cups frozen watermelon chunks*
1/2 cup water (or part alcohol of your choosing)
1 packet Stevia (or sweetener of your choice)
Juice of 1 lemon
1/2 frozen banana**

Place everything in a blender and whiz away!

Enjoy!!

* Remove the rind from the watermelon and then cube the flesh into 1/2-inch cubes.  On a parchment or foil lined baking sheet lay the cubes of watermelon out so that they are not touching one another and place in the freezer.  Once the watermelon chunks are completely frozen remove them from the baking sheet and place them in a freezer bag and store in the freezer. 

**Once bananas are fully ripe and the skins are heavily spotted or fully brown, peel the bananas and place each one into a snack-sized zip bag.  Squeeze out as much air as possible when closing and then freeze.  Though frozen bananas don’t look great they are wonderful in smoothies and banana bread.

8 comments:

  1. My Itty Bitty gobbles watermelon up. It doesn't last long in our house. I'll have to stash enough for this recipe the next time I cut one up. Sounds refreshing and perfect for summer. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, well at least I know I could make this one. I'm still bummed about the lack of mango at my grocery store for the lassi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kids are going to love this combination. It sounds so refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds good and I just cut up a watermelon this morning. May have to try adding some protein powder to it !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, I have to try this recipe too. You are giving me so many watermelon ideas!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm...this is one to try for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i cant wait to make this! looks absolutely awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, I'm back one year later and this recipe is AWESOME. Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love and adore your wonderful comments, so please don't be shy and let me know that you visited.

I also love responding to your comments but I can't do that if you're a no-reply blogger. Please link your e-mail up to your profile so that I can reply to you.

It's a simple change and here's how you do it.

1. From your PROFILE, go to your DASHBOARD.
2. Go to EDIT PROFILE
3. Click 'SHARE MY PROFILE'
4. Click 'SHOW MY E-MAIL ADDRESS'
5. Enter in your e-mail address.

Easy-peasy and now I can reply to all your e-mails and questions!

Related Posts with Thumbnails