Saturday, January 28, 2012

Sweet & Spicy Apple Pork

IMG_2416eI’ll totally admit it, this may not be the prettiest dish but it is the most wonderfully delicious pulled pork I have ever had!  I have made this recipe dozens and dozens of times but because it’s not pretty I just never took a picture but I have had so many requests for the recipe and I’m tired of it being my responsibility to remember to email the recipe, I’ve relented and I’m putting it here on the blog, unattractive pictures and all. 

I love that I can easily scale this recipe up or down depending on how many people I need to feed, it cooks just as well in a slow cooker or the oven and best of all, it freezes wonderfully and because it’s so delicious I always try to keep some in the freezer for when the craving strikes.  I implore you, make this pork and you’ll be licking your bowl and your dinner guests will think you’re the best cook ever.

IMG_2408e Sweet & Spicy Apple Pork

(It is best to make this a day ahead if possible so to skim the fat)

2 - 12 oz cans frozen apple juice concentrate
1 cup ketchup 
1 cup brown sugar (dark or light)
1/2 cup barbecue sauce (I like K.C. Masterpiece Original)
1 TBS cumin 
1 TBS sweet paprika 
1 head of garlic, peeled & minced
1 tsp Kosher Salt
2 tsp Ground cayenne pepper  (I use 2 tsp which gives it a good bit of spice but I'd suggest the first time you only use 1 tsp.)
1 tsp ground black pepper
2 whole medium onions, diced
5-6 pounds boneless pork shoulder butt roast, cut into big chunks

    Directions:
    Oven Method: Pre-heat oven to 350F.  Add everything but the pork to a large roaster and stir to mix well.  Add the pork and mix well. Cover tightly and cook for 4-6 hours or until the pork is very tender.  Once cooked allow to cool a little and then remove the pork to a platter fat side up and remove as much of the fat as possible (it will very easily scrape off.)  With two forks you can either pull the pork into some serving size big chunks or "shred" it for pulled pork sandwiches.   Put all the cooked liquids into a large bowl and then add the pork back to the liquid and push it down to submerge completely.  Cover tightly and chill overnight.  Skim the fat from the top and then just reheat.  I serve this various ways, over wide egg noodles, over rice or as pulled pork sandwiches on buns. 

    Slow cooker Method:  Follow the directions above but cook on high for 8-10 hours or until pork is very tender.  After the pork is cooked and you do all the fat removal as above, if you have a slow cooker with a removable crock, chill overnight covered right in the crock, remove the fat layer and reheat right in your slow cooker.

    Enjoy!

    11 comments:

    1. This sounds wonderful. How could you not love apples and pork. I am new to your blog, so I spent some time browsing through your earlier posts. I'm so glad I did that.I really love the food and recipes you share with your readers and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

      ReplyDelete
    2. YUM!!!! This sounds amazing! Such a classic combination with a spicy twist. :) Thanks for sharing - I will be trying this out soon.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Mmm! I just did shredded BBQ chicken sandwiches last week, but the next time we're in the mood, I'm trying your recipe for pork.

      ReplyDelete
    4. I love pulled pork. And even if it isn't photogenic it's still delicious!

      ReplyDelete
    5. How yummy!
      can't wait to try this..
      blessings!
      http://bit.ly/wyGIcY

      ReplyDelete
    6. Pork is the king of meats! How could you not love this dish!

      ReplyDelete
    7. Boy does this ever look delicious. It seems some of the most wonderful food takes lousy pictures. Pork shoulder roasts are on sale for only $1.75 a lb. here this week, and I plan to get a couple. I have a pork roast recipe that takes apple jelly and ketchup that we love, so I am sure we will love this, too. I am coming over from one of the linky parties, but I am not sure which one. Thanks so much for sharing this.

      ReplyDelete
    8. I love the spice with the apples. This is a great way to cook and serve pork, but I wouldn't expect anything less from you :) So, turns out I messed up..Superbowl is next Sunday. However, last weekend turned out to be hectic, but I'm free all week if you want to chat :)

      ReplyDelete
    9. This looks so delicious. I cannot wait to try it. Come visit us. We have a terrific molten cocoa cake recipe and fat free sweet potato souffle to share.

      ReplyDelete
    10. This sounds soo good i am a huge fan of sweet and spicy!

      ReplyDelete
    11. Lisa, We will just love this recipe. It has some of our favorite flavor combinations, can't wait to try it. Hope you are having a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
      Come Back Soon!
      Miz Helen

      ReplyDelete

    I love and adore your wonderful comments, so please don't be shy and let me know that you visited.

    I also love responding to your comments but I can't do that if you're a no-reply blogger. Please link your e-mail up to your profile so that I can reply to you.

    It's a simple change and here's how you do it.

    1. From your PROFILE, go to your DASHBOARD.
    2. Go to EDIT PROFILE
    3. Click 'SHARE MY PROFILE'
    4. Click 'SHOW MY E-MAIL ADDRESS'
    5. Enter in your e-mail address.

    Easy-peasy and now I can reply to all your e-mails and questions!

    Related Posts with Thumbnails