Thursday, August 30, 2012

Bacon & Cheese Zucchini Fritters

IMG_5379eYesterday I pulled a giant zucchini from the garden which was the length and girth of Eammon’s forearm.  I’ve been in the mood for Zucchini Fritters and I’ve made them in the past but I wanted to do something a bit different so decided to change up my recipe a bit by adding bacon and cheese and I also omitted the flour as I’m trying to avoid carbs.  These fritters were tender and full of wonderful flavor.  The funny thing about them though, everyone thought that they were eating potato pancakes as they really tasted almost like stuffed potato skins.  I wish that I had had some sour cream to top the fritters as I think that would have been the perfect finishing touch.  I’d bet if you wanted to fool some veggie hating adult or child into thinking that they’re eating potato, just take off the green skin of the zucchini and they’ll never know that they’re eating a healthy vegetable.  These were delicious hot last night but I enjoyed them even more as leftovers for breakfast this morning.  

IMG_5385eBacon & Cheese Zucchini Fritters

  • 3 cups grated zucchini
  • 1 medium sweet onion, grated
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 cup bacon bits 
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt 
  • 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
  • peanut oil or oil of your choice

Add the grated zucchini and grated onion to a cheesecloth lined sieve and squeeze & press out as much of the water as possible. In a large bowl add the squeezed out zucchini & onion, eggs, grated cheese, bacon bits, salt & pepper.  Stir to combine well.

Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium high heat and add just enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan.  Using a large cookie scoop portion out the zucchini mixture into the hot pan, being careful not to over crowd the pan.  Press and spread the zucchini mixture just a little.  Cook until the bottom side is golden and then carefully flip to cook the other side.  Once both sides are golden remove to a paper towel lined cooling rack.  Serve hot or as I prefer, chilled for breakfast the following morning.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Yum!!! My bacon-loving family will love these for sure. Thanks for the recipe, Lisa -

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is there any particular brand of bacon bits that you buy?

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa these are perfect for this time of year to use up all of my zucchini in the garden. Hey, I'd like to let you know that I've listed you on my new Wordpress blog's 'delicious blogs' blogroll. I'm letting all of my readers know of my new 'sister-site' over on WP. I am slowly moving my content over there (and it is taking a LOT of time), but I just wanted to ask if you can add this new blog to your reader list while I'm making the move. If you go to my blogger blog and click on my photo it will take you there. I didn't include it here because some bloggers don't like URL's included in comments.
    Thanks for your support,
    Roz

    ReplyDelete

I love and adore your wonderful comments, so please don't be shy and let me know that you visited.

I also love responding to your comments but I can't do that if you're a no-reply blogger. Please link your e-mail up to your profile so that I can reply to you.

It's a simple change and here's how you do it.

1. From your PROFILE, go to your DASHBOARD.
2. Go to EDIT PROFILE
3. Click 'SHARE MY PROFILE'
4. Click 'SHOW MY E-MAIL ADDRESS'
5. Enter in your e-mail address.

Easy-peasy and now I can reply to all your e-mails and questions!

Related Posts with Thumbnails