Thursday, August 16, 2012

French Fries Hash Browns

IMG_5271eLast December when we were in Aruba with my parents, my Mom was trying to use up all the food we had in the kitchen before heading back to the states.  In the freezer was a bag of French fries which most likely would have gone uneaten had she not diced them up and fried them up with some onions & garlic, making boring old fries into a wonderful little side dish.  Well they were really good and I remember that dish each time I have leftover fries so that’s how this recipe was born.

IMG_5237eThis month for the Improv Cooking Challenge our hostess Kristen of Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker asked the participating bloggers to make any recipe of their choosing using the two given ingredients of tomatoes & peppers.  What perfect ingredients as I have a bounty of both tomatoes and peppers coming daily from my garden.  I love being able to walk outside, pick fresh veggies and eat or use them in a recipe within minutes, so perfectly fresh. Where last month I struggled with what to make for the challenge, this month I knew immediately as this recipe is something that I make for Eammon’s breakfast quite often and I pair it with some perfectly cooked over-easy eggs.  It’s a great way to use up leftover French fries and also get a little bit of veg into him.  The other nice thing about these hash browns is that I use what I have on hand and no matter what variation I make, he always enjoys it.  Next time you have leftover French Fries I hope that you’ll give this recipe a try.

My previous Improv Cooking Challenge entries:

July 2012  Corn & Butter:  Fritos Crusted Pollock 
June 2012  Cherries & Almonds:  Dried Cherry Almond Tart 
May 2012  Strawberries & Cream:  Strawberry Soup 
April 2012  Peanut butter & Jelly:  Peanut Butter & Jelly Bars 
March 2012  Potato & Cheese:  Loaded Potato & Buffalo Chicken Casserole 
February 2012  Ginger & Carrots:  Shrimp & Avocado Salad with Carrot Ginger Dressing 
January 2012 Lemon & Sour Cream:  Ponderosa Lemon & Sour Cream Tart 
December 2011 Eggnog & Cranberries:  Eggnog Popovers with Cranberry Butter 
November 2011 Pumpkin & Cream Cheese:  Praline Pumpkin Cheesecake 
October 2011 Caramel & Apples:  Caramel Stuffed Apple Cider Cookies

IMG_5267e French Fries Hash Browns
  • Olive oil
  • 1/2 medium sweet onion, diced
  • 5 banana peppers, sliced into rings
  • 1/2 jalapeno, seeds removed, finely minced
  • 1 cup coarsely diced leftover oven baked French fries
  • 2 thick slices salami, diced
  • 1 cup cherry tomatoes
  • salt & pepper to taste

Heat a large cast iron skillet or frying pan over high heat and add enough olive oil to lightly coat the bottom of the pan.  Add the onions, banana peppers, jalapeno, French fries and salami and cook, stirring often until everything starts to lightly caramelize an then add the tomatoes.  Cook until the tomatoes start to pop and caramelize. Add salt & pepper to taste.  Serve with a gorgeous fried egg.

Enjoy!

15 comments:

  1. ACK! STOP! You're reminding me I haven't had my breakfast yet.

    Your pictures are so beautiful -- I can almost hear the veggies popping & smell that onion & salami...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We always end up with french fries leftover, but I never thought to make anything out of them. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks hearty, filling and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks sooo good! I love that this uses leftover fries.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wish I was having breakfast at your house!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! What a great way to start the day! I love using what I have instead of having to go buy something. Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great use of this month's ingredients! I've never had anything like this and it sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds similar to Breakfast Hash! I have never used french fries in my hash, but I bet it would work.

    We are breakfast for supper fans! Lisa, your second photo is fun.

    ICC #8

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great way to use up leftover french fries! Looks very spicy! Yum!

    Visiting from the Improv Cooking Challenge (#21 – Green Chile Pepper and Tomato Soup)

    Pinned!

    Amber @ The Cook’s Sister

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this idea! French fries for breakfast! Yes please!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Leftover fries? Never happens in this house. But I am thinking it would be worth making extra to try your breakfast dish! Gorgeous colors!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am sad that we ate the last of our leftover fries before I saw this recipe. I think I may just have to make some leftovers on purpose!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mmmmm....what a great idea for that half bag of fries in the freezer! What a flavorful version of hash browns...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  14. looks soo delicious....
    yummmiiieeeeee.......................
    :)
    thanx for the receipe ..
    i'll definately try this today..

    ReplyDelete

I love and adore your wonderful comments, so please don't be shy and let me know that you visited.

I also love responding to your comments but I can't do that if you're a no-reply blogger. Please link your e-mail up to your profile so that I can reply to you.

It's a simple change and here's how you do it.

1. From your PROFILE, go to your DASHBOARD.
2. Go to EDIT PROFILE
3. Click 'SHARE MY PROFILE'
4. Click 'SHOW MY E-MAIL ADDRESS'
5. Enter in your e-mail address.

Easy-peasy and now I can reply to all your e-mails and questions!

Related Posts with Thumbnails