Thursday, September 20, 2012

Zucchini with Onion & Brown Sugar

IMG_5467eThis month for the Improv Cooking Challenge our hostess Kristen of Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker asked the participating bloggers to make any recipe of their choosing using the two given ingredients of zucchini & brown sugar.  My first thought of course was a zucchini cake as I have a lovely and delicious recipe but as I’ve been trying to avoid carbs and Maisie with her allergies can’t have it and well, Eammon just doesn’t need it… I decided to go in a different direction.  I found a recipe on Sarah’s blog, My Culinary Sanctuary for Zucchini Squash and Onions with Brown Sugar and it sounded and looked delicious so I figured I’d give it a try. 

IMG_5463eThe recipe was simple enough.  I just chopped up an onion and a nice big zucchini fresh from the garden and then it was an easy sautĂ© to an absolutely wonderful end.  I honestly didn’t know if this recipe would be a hit or not but I was blown away with how delicious such a simple recipe could be.  The onions were sweet, the flavor of the zucchini shone through and the touch of butter gave the sauce a velvety mouth feel.  The brown sugar didn’t make the recipe sweet but just seemed to enhance the natural sweetness of the ingredients.  I highly recommend that you give this recipe a try, you won’t be disappointed.

My previous Improv Cooking Challenge entries:

August 2012  Tomatoes & Peppers:  French Fries Hash Browns 
July 2012  Corn & Butter:  Fritos Crusted Pollock 
June 2012  Cherries & Almonds:  Dried Cherry Almond Tart 
May 2012  Strawberries & Cream:  Strawberry Soup 
April 2012  Peanut butter & Jelly:  Peanut Butter & Jelly Bars 
March 2012  Potato & Cheese:  Loaded Potato & Buffalo Chicken Casserole 
February 2012  Ginger & Carrots:  Shrimp & Avocado Salad with Carrot Ginger Dressing 
January 2012 Lemon & Sour Cream:  Ponderosa Lemon & Sour Cream Tart 
December 2011 Eggnog & Cranberries:  Eggnog Popovers with Cranberry Butter 
November 2011 Pumpkin & Cream Cheese:  Praline Pumpkin Cheesecake 
October 2011 Caramel & Apples:  Caramel Stuffed Apple Cider Cookies

IMG_5466eZucchini with Onion & Brown Sugar (very slightly adapted from here)

Slice the onion and zucchini.  In a large frying pan over medium heat, melt the butter.  Add the onions and let them cook until they start to caramelize.  Add the zucchini, salt, pepper & Whey Low Gold or brown sugar.  Mix everything well, cover and let cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.  After 20 minutes remove the lid and if there is a large amount of liquid, cook uncovered for a few minutes allowing the liquid to reduce, (I did not have much liquid so I skipped that step.)

Enjoy! 

13 comments:

  1. I saw a similar recipe and wanted to try it, but my family can be pretty picky about onions. It does look really good and I want to try it sometime. Great choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simply gorgeous! Caramelized onions are just so tasty. Mighty jealous you had zukes from your garden. All my vines died this summer from the extreme heat. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to mix onions, peppers, mushrooms and zucchini and grill them. I put them in a grill pan with EVOO salt and pepper. I bet your addition of brown surgar brings out some tasty flavors. Thanks for sharing, Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by Lisa, glad you enjoyed my zucchini bread. Your zucchini and onions with brown sugar sound pretty fantastic as well! The sauce brings these veggies together so well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks very yummy. Very similar to a recipe I had pinned to do for this challenge and never got around to. Will have to try this, pinning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great! I never would have thought to have cooked them this way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great savory side! I would really enjoy this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great way to use zucchini for a veggie side dish! Well done, Lisa!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would never have thought to add brown sugar to a savory zucchini, but I will be sure to give this a try.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a delicious idea to use a little brown sugar to caramelize the zucchini and onions! Your dish looks wonderful~

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I like this it is so very different than the dessert recipes it sounds and I must say looks delicious. B

    ReplyDelete

I love and adore your wonderful comments, so please don't be shy and let me know that you visited.

I also love responding to your comments but I can't do that if you're a no-reply blogger. Please link your e-mail up to your profile so that I can reply to you.

It's a simple change and here's how you do it.

1. From your PROFILE, go to your DASHBOARD.
2. Go to EDIT PROFILE
3. Click 'SHARE MY PROFILE'
4. Click 'SHOW MY E-MAIL ADDRESS'
5. Enter in your e-mail address.

Easy-peasy and now I can reply to all your e-mails and questions!

Related Posts with Thumbnails