Sunday, April 7, 2013

Laura Goodenough’s Apple Coffeecake

IMG_6845eIt’s Secret Recipe Club time and this month I was assigned Stephanie’s blog, Sustainable Cooking for One.  Stephanie is a single gal who is pursuing a PhD in community nutrition and is passionate about eating local, gluten-free, low/no meat, in-season sustainable foods.  Also as the title of her blog suggests she focuses on cooking for one and even has a cookbook called One Bowl: Simple Healthy Recipes for One.

A number of Stephanie’s recipes appealed to me, her Red Lentil & Squash Soup as it’s been cold here, I had all the ingredients in my home and soup is always a wonderful meal, I thought that we’d all enjoy her Carrot Edamame Salad, and because I’ve been on a bit of a cauliflower kick lately, both her Creamy Cauliflower Carrot Custard and Roasted Cauliflower with Lemon & Mustard sounded like good options.  In the end though I decided that I wanted to make a cake for a friend and her family as her husband is going through chemotherapy and radiation and I thought that they would enjoy a sweet, homemade treat, so I chose Stephanie’s Laura Goodenough’s Apple Coffee Cake.  Really, just like Stephanie, what appealed to me first about the cake was the name but when I read the recipe and saw the large amount of fresh apples and the flavor profile, it sounded like a delicious and perfect cake for my friend.

IMG_6837eWhen Stephanie made her cake she adapted the recipe making it gluten-free but as my friends don’t have gluten issues, I made the cake with plain all-purpose flour.  Also, I didn’t have cider in my home but in my freezer I had frozen apple juice concentrate so I used that instead and because I felt that the concentrate was sweeter than the cider, I cut the sugar in the recipe a bit.  I also decided to add a little vanilla bean paste and salt to the batter just for some additional depth of flavor.  

Stephanie made two loaves from the recipe but I was really making this cake for my friend and trust me when I say, we don’t need lots of sweet treats in our home, but I did want to try the cake and of course get a picture, so I made one large loaf and a mini loaf for us to try and enjoy.  After eating our mini loaf I was sort of sad that I didn’t double the recipe as the cake was absolutely delicious and we would have loved more.  The strong cinnamon apple flavor and the slightly sweet cake with a nice crispy edge…well it was just perfect.  The cake was easy to make and we really loved it so I know that I’ll make it again and I know that my friend will love and appreciate the cake too.  Check out Stephanie’s blog for her gluten-free version.

IMG_6841e Laura Goodenough’s Apple Coffee Cake (adapted from here)

Heat the oven to 375 F. Grease a bundt pan or two loaf pans with cooking spray.

In a large bowl combine the apples with the cinnamon & 2 TBS. sugar and toss to coat, set aside. 

In a large bowl combine the vegetable oil, eggs, apple juice concentrate & vanilla.  Using a wooden spoon mix well.  Add the 1 1/2 cups of sugar, flour, baking powder & salt and combine well.  Spoon 1/3 of the batter into the bottom of the pan(s). Drain away any accumulated liquid from the apples and layer half the apples into the pan,  not allowing them to touch the sides. Spoon another 1/3 of the batter over the apples. Add the remaining apples, again not allowing them to touch the pan. Top with the remaining batter.

Bake for 60-70 minutes or until a knife comes out clean. Cover with foil if the top begins to overbrown.

Cool to warm or room temperature before slicing.

Enjoy!!

My previous Secret Recipe Club Recipe Posts: 

Loaded Potato Soup
Lemon Almond Biscotti 
Creamy Mints 
Thai Peanut Noodles with Chicken 
Baked Buffalo Chicken Wings 
Fried Green Tomatoes 
Chicken Satay Noodle Salad 
Double Chocolate Mousse Cake 
Candied Popcorn
Fruit, Nut & Poppy Seed Chicken Salad 
Broiled Sushi 
Health(ier) Peanut Brittle 
Crunchy Fudgy Heart Bites 
Texas Chicken with Lime Butter 
Pork Belly Soup with Collard Greens 
Thin Mint Irish Coffee 
Levain Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies 
Welsh Cakes 
Nutella Crêpes 
Cilantro Lime Chicken 
Holy Guacamole 
and
Home Style Chicken Curry


Secret Recipe Club

30 comments:

  1. Ooohh, all those luscious chunks of apple in your cake look mouthwateringly delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious! I will keep this in mind for apple season in the Fall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks to be one of the best apple coffee cakes I've ever seen, seriously. I definitely would have chosen it too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the look of this cake Lisa!!! I can only imagine how good it tasted!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All the apples in there are gorgeous! This bread looks fantastic. Next time I feel like making banana bread, I need to make this instead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another awesome recipe Lisa and a great story as well. Think I just found the perfect home for some apples that have been chilling in my fridge. Great SRC pick!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spring weather has finally arrived here in NY. While I don't have apples on my mind right now, I am bookmarking this for the fall! Sounds perfect for using up apples from apple picking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This cake looks delicious. I love the chunks of apples. So sweet of you to make it for your friends. I bet they really appreciated it.
    #4

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is so pretty inside and looks so good I wish I had it with my coffee right now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you enjoyed it! FYI, for anyone else, the original recipe is from the recent New York Times Cookbook.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This apple coffee cake looks so lovely! I adore all those big chunks of apples throughout there. I can practically taste them!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So pretty! I love how this looks when sliced, and the bread itself looks so tender and rich. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a pretty loaf. I love the idea of making one loaf to giveaway and a mini loaf to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nothing beats a good coffee cake!

    Unfortunately my post missed the blog hop due to tech issues..argh..Here is the link as I'd hate for people to miss seeing Aly's recipe and her wonderful blog -http://chitchatchomp.blogspot.com.au/2013/04/secret-recipe-club-april.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is a gorgeous apple coffee cake slice, love the big chunks of apple in there.I totally approve of your vanilla bean paste addition ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is a gorgeous apple coffee cake slice, love the big chunks of apple in there.I totally approve of your vanilla bean paste addition ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just delicious. I am a huge apple cake fan and this just looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great looking cake! Love the apples in it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for stopping by. Your cake looks so good!

    The problem with visiting all these Secret Recipe Club posts is that I want to try them all!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the whole pieces of apples in the cake! A great recipe choice. Pinned :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. i love apple coffee cake! sounds like an amazing version! yay SRC!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love this coffee cake with apple! Must taste great!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks great Lisa! The presentation is so unique. I will look forward to trying this in the fall when my apple cravings hit full force!

    ReplyDelete
  24. such beautiful cake, looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love that I can see the apples in the cake. Beautiful! ...Susan

    ReplyDelete

I love and adore your wonderful comments, so please don't be shy and let me know that you visited.

I also love responding to your comments but I can't do that if you're a no-reply blogger. Please link your e-mail up to your profile so that I can reply to you.

It's a simple change and here's how you do it.

1. From your PROFILE, go to your DASHBOARD.
2. Go to EDIT PROFILE
3. Click 'SHARE MY PROFILE'
4. Click 'SHOW MY E-MAIL ADDRESS'
5. Enter in your e-mail address.

Easy-peasy and now I can reply to all your e-mails and questions!

Related Posts with Thumbnails