Sunday, June 2, 2013

Paradise Mango Curried Shrimp

IMG_7261e It’s Secret Recipe Club time again and after missing last month because we were away for a few weeks on a transatlantic cruise, it’s great to be back!  This month I was assigned the Chef & the Lucky Wife’s blog, The Saturday Evening Pot.  As always I was excited to get my assignment and as usual, it was terribly difficult to pick a recipe to make and feature.  In the end it came down to Maisie and my wanting to make a meal that she would eat and love.  Maisie adores shrimp and rice so the Chef’s Paradise Shrimp over Jasmine Rice had all the makings of a meal that we all would enjoy and it was Maisie “safe”, no wheat, egg or dairy. 

I did of course make a few little changes to the Chef’s recipe because when do I ever make a recipe as written?  First off I changed the rice from Jasmine Rice to Saffron rice, just because that’s what Maisie requested.  In the Chef’s recipe he uses mango juice and mandarin oranges but I had some fresh mangoes in the house so I skipped the mandarin oranges and just used the fresh mango in its place.  I also decided to add a bit more spice to the recipe by upping the allspice and adding some hot Jamaican curry powder.  My final little ingredient change was that I used cilantro instead of parsley, because that’s what I had in the house, and I added a bit of toasted unsweetened coconut as a garnish. 

The meal was loved by all of us and even using the hot Jamaican curry powder, there was just the slightest kick, not too spicy for even Maisie.  For something even less spicy use regular Jamaican curry powder or, check out the original recipe over on the Chef & Lucky Wife’s blog.

IMG_7260eParadise Mango Curried Shrimp (adapted from here) 

Cook rice according to package directions and set aside.

Peel and de-vein (if necessary) shrimp, keep cool, and set aside.   Heat a 10-inch covered, deep skillet over medium heat.   Add the olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add the onion and sauté lightly, until the onion is softened but not browned.  Add the allspice & curry powder and continue cooking for approximately one minute, stirring continuously, until fragrant.  Turn heat to low and add the coconut milk, mango juice, pepper & salt.  Stir to blend well and bring the poaching mixture to a simmer.  

Add the raw shrimp to the poaching liquid, cover tightly and immediately remove from the heat.  Allow the shrimp to poach for 15 minutes, until cooked through.  Once the shrimp is cooked, remove the shrimp from the poaching liquid, cover and set aside.  Turn the heat to high and allow the poaching liquid to reach a boil.  Stirring constantly, reduce the poaching liquid until it thickly covers the back of a spoon.  Add the shrimp back into the thickened poaching liquid and quickly toss to coat the shrimp. 

Portion the rice onto 4 plates and top with the shrimp.  Add the thickened poaching liquid, diced mango, cilantro & toasted coconut.

Enjoy!

My previous Secret Recipe Club Recipe Posts: 

Laura Goodenough’s Apple Coffee Cake 
Loaded Potato Soup
Lemon Almond Biscotti 
Creamy Mints 
Thai Peanut Noodles with Chicken 
Baked Buffalo Chicken Wings 
Fried Green Tomatoes 
Chicken Satay Noodle Salad 
Double Chocolate Mousse Cake 
Candied Popcorn
Fruit, Nut & Poppy Seed Chicken Salad 
Broiled Sushi 
Health(ier) Peanut Brittle 
Crunchy Fudgy Heart Bites 
Texas Chicken with Lime Butter 
Pork Belly Soup with Collard Greens 
Thin Mint Irish Coffee 
Levain Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies 
Welsh Cakes 
Nutella Crêpes 
Cilantro Lime Chicken 
Holy Guacamole 
and
Home Style Chicken Curry


Secret Recipe Club

15 comments:

  1. That looks delicious! Nice job for the SRC, Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe definitely is unique. Thanks for sharing and great pic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so delicious! We have these flavors in abundance in Thailand, but I'm always looking for new ways to use them - this will definitely be a must-try dish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your dish looks so gourmet and professional.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic! This looks so good - I love the combo of mango and shrimp. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think anything with coconut and mango is a winner! Nice choice :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mango and shrimp sound like a winning combination. This dish hits the Must-Make Immediately list

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks like something out of a 5 star restaurant!
    A winner combination of flavors and a wonderful presentation

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think either yours or the original recipe would be fantastic. I love mango and shrimp and together with rice would be a happy meal.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lisa, I love shrimp too, and I must say this looks fantastic. Great pick for SRC this month!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a very unique dish. I love your changes. My family doesn't really like shrimp, but I would love to try this with chicken sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have these same plates! This sounds like a delicious and unique shrimp dish, great SRC pick!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have those same plates! This looks like a fantastic shrimp dish.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That sounds really good, though I just saw Lesa's idea to try it with chicken. Try as I have many times, I don't like shrimp either. Love the flavors here though.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's some heavenly looking Shrimp Lisa. I'm not much of a Mango girl but in this dish, I just may actually enjoy it.

    Thank you so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete

I love and adore your wonderful comments, so please don't be shy and let me know that you visited.

I also love responding to your comments but I can't do that if you're a no-reply blogger. Please link your e-mail up to your profile so that I can reply to you.

It's a simple change and here's how you do it.

1. From your PROFILE, go to your DASHBOARD.
2. Go to EDIT PROFILE
3. Click 'SHARE MY PROFILE'
4. Click 'SHOW MY E-MAIL ADDRESS'
5. Enter in your e-mail address.

Easy-peasy and now I can reply to all your e-mails and questions!

Related Posts with Thumbnails