Sunday, July 7, 2013

Andes Peppermint Snowball Cookies

IMG_7273e It’s one of my favorite times of the month, it’s Secret Recipe Club time!  This month I was assigned a blog that I have been following F.O.R.E.V.E.R., Katrina’s Baking and the Boys!  Katrina bakes copious amounts of crazy delicious treats for her four boys and husband and everything, and I do mean everything, is delicious looking, drool worthy in fact.  Since Katrina is a baker, I just had to bake and let me tell you, choosing a recipe was beyond difficult because…like I said, everything is drool worthy so I wanted it all.  When I saw her recipes for Andes Peppermint Crunch Shortbread Cookies and Peppermint Snowball Cookies, I knew I had found my recipe.  Katrina made two different, but similar, cookies, both using a shortbread cookie recipe, like a Mexican wedding cookie.  I adore Mexican wedding cookies as they’re so buttery, tender and delicious and I also love mint so I knew this would be a winner.  In both of Katrina’s versions she stirred in Andes Peppermint Crunch Chips but it was how she finished the cookies that differed.  One version she topped the cookie with some of the melted peppermint candy and in the second “snowball” version. she rolled the cookies in powdered sugar.  Katrina stated that she liked the snowball cookies a little more but preferred the stronger mint flavor of the drizzle.  She suggested for a more minty flavor in the snowball cookies, to up the amount of chips so I listened to her and did just that.  Though I actually had both versions of Andes Baking Chips in the house, I chose to use the dark chocolate Andes Crème De Menthe Baking Chips in my cookies.  Also, because I was upping the amount of chips in the cookies, thus upping the sweetness, I changed Katrina’s cookie base somewhat, completely eliminating the sugar. 

The cookies were flakey, buttery, chocolate, minty two bite deliciousness and for us, leaving out the sugar in the cookie base made for a perfect amount of sweetness and balance.  Check out Katrina’s versions or make mine, all three versions make a perfect holiday or anytime cookie.      

IMG_7276eAndes Peppermint Snowball Cookies (adapted from here)

Preheat oven to 375F.

Using a stand mixer cream together the butter, vanilla & salt until fluffy.  Blend in the flour until fully incorporated.  Stir in the Andes baking chips.  Using a small cookie scoop portion out the cookie batter (you can also roll the batter into walnut sized balls) and place onto a Silpat or parchment paper lined baking sheets, placing cookies 1-inch apart.   Bake for 12-15 minutes.  Allow the cookies to cool for a couple of minutes and then remove to a wire rack, placing the cookies close together.  While the cookies are still warm, dust with confectioners sugar. 

Enjoy!

My previous Secret Recipe Club Recipe Posts: 

Paradise Mango Curried Shrimp 
Laura Goodenough’s Apple Coffee Cake 
Loaded Potato Soup
Lemon Almond Biscotti 
Creamy Mints 
Thai Peanut Noodles with Chicken 
Baked Buffalo Chicken Wings 
Fried Green Tomatoes 
Chicken Satay Noodle Salad 
Double Chocolate Mousse Cake 
Candied Popcorn
Fruit, Nut & Poppy Seed Chicken Salad 
Broiled Sushi 
Health(ier) Peanut Brittle 
Crunchy Fudgy Heart Bites 
Texas Chicken with Lime Butter 
Pork Belly Soup with Collard Greens 
Thin Mint Irish Coffee 
Levain Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies 
Welsh Cakes 
Nutella Crêpes 
Cilantro Lime Chicken 
Holy Guacamole 
and
Home Style Chicken Curry


Secret Recipe Club

11 comments:

  1. Hey, I recognized those right away in the blog hop! ;) Great pick. Those were delicious. Love the idea of the dark chocolate Andes mint. I remember I took those to my book club and the ladies went ga-ga. Thanks for baking from my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so delicious! I'll bookmark these for Christmas-time. Thanks for sharing with the SRC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peppermint is such a great flavor. I like snowball cookies, but I'd like your peppermint version even more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love this combination - anything with Andes mints in it has me from the get-go, but the cookies look so lovely and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the photo with the reflection. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look fantastic! Always been a fan of snowball cookies and the addition of mint - delicious:-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! I love Andes mints but have never baked with them before. These cookies look scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those Andes baking mints sound awesome - this looks like such a delicious recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh these look SUPER yummy! They were the perfect pick this month!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love snowball cookies but what's really delightful here is that these are stuffed with Andes candies which also happen to be a love of mine. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love these cookies! I made them as well and they are so good. Excellent SRC pick!

    ReplyDelete

I love and adore your wonderful comments, so please don't be shy and let me know that you visited.

I also love responding to your comments but I can't do that if you're a no-reply blogger. Please link your e-mail up to your profile so that I can reply to you.

It's a simple change and here's how you do it.

1. From your PROFILE, go to your DASHBOARD.
2. Go to EDIT PROFILE
3. Click 'SHARE MY PROFILE'
4. Click 'SHOW MY E-MAIL ADDRESS'
5. Enter in your e-mail address.

Easy-peasy and now I can reply to all your e-mails and questions!

Related Posts with Thumbnails