Sunday, September 8, 2013

Carrot & Sweet Potato Pancakes

1234138_10151900856346663_1195319287_n It’s that time again and this month for Secret Recipe Club I was assigned Shannon’s wonderful blog, Searching for Dessert.  Shannon’s blog is filled with just hundreds of gorgeous recipes for breads, brownies, cookies, cakes, pies and other delicious looking and sounding sweet treats.  I was totally drooling over her Lime Meringue Bars, Flourless Fudge Cookies and her Light Meyer Lemon Sugar Cookies but I really couldn’t make any of them because Maisie has her allergies to wheat, egg and dairy and I’ve been avoiding gluten, wheat, sugar, sweeteners both natural and artificial, and a whole host of other items and Eammon, well he just doesn’t really need any sweets so I didn’t want anyone tempted...boohoo… So after all my drooling over forbidden sweets, I checked out Shannon’s Meatless Monday recipes and found her recipe for Carrot & Potato Pancakes and I knew that I could easily adapt it to fit all our dietary restrictions.  I will say that I was being strong and really, really good by not baking any of her sweet and delicious treats and I totally admit that I did wallowed in self pity for a while but after making my version of her Carrot & Potato Pancakes, not once, not twice, but three times, I was crying no more and was a very happy camper. 
 
75914_10151900858756663_152563463_n I really just made some small changes to the original recipe, I swapped out the white potato with a sweet potato, l left out the flour and increased the egg in the version that Eammon and I enjoyed and used chia seed gel in place of the egg in the ones I made for Maisie.  Also because I used sweet potatoes I decided to add a bit of roasted cinnamon because it just goes so perfectly with both sweet potatoes and carrots.
 
1234689_10151900856196663_65756519_n I served these Carrot & Sweet Potato Pancakes as a side dish with dinner and I also enjoyed snacking on them cold but my favorite way to enjoy them was nice and hot with a perfectly cooked over-easy egg on top which added just a wonderful creamy richness to the already delicious pancakes.  Check out Shannon’s blog for the original recipe. 
 

In a medium bowl, stir together the sweet potato, carrot, onion, salt, roasted cinnamon and black pepper.  Stir in the eggs until the mixture is evenly combined.

Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium heat and add just enough coconut oil to lightly coat the bottom of the pan.  Using about a 1/4 cup measure place the sweet potato mixture into the pan and flatten patties to about 1/4-inch thick.  Cook until first side is golden brown and then carefully flip and cook the second side until golden.

Serve hot or cold. 

Enjoy!

My previous Secret Recipe Club Recipe Posts:

Chicken Burgers with Spinach and Mushrooms,

Paradise Mango Curried Shrimp

Laura Goodenough’s Apple Coffee Cake

Loaded Potato Soup

Lemon Almond Biscotti

Creamy Mints

Thai Peanut Noodles with Chicken

Baked Buffalo Chicken Wings

Fried Green Tomatoes

Chicken Satay Noodle Salad

Double Chocolate Mousse Cake

Candied Popcorn

Fruit, Nut & Poppy Seed Chicken Salad

Broiled Sushi

Health(ier) Peanut Brittle Crunchy Fudgy Heart Bites

Texas Chicken with Lime Butter

Pork Belly Soup with Collard Greens

Thin Mint Irish Coffee

Levain Chocolate Chip Walnut Cookies

Welsh Cakes

Nutella Crêpes

Cilantro Lime Chicken

Holy Guacamole

and

Home Style Chicken Curry

 

Secret Recipe Club


13 comments:

  1. Oooooo! I will have to remember this when Hannukah comes around. My boys love the idea of latke but object to potato pancakes. This might be a good substitute. Thanks for sharing with the SRC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, that cinnamon sounds like the perfect addition to those pancakes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh Lisa, these pancakes look fantastic and so does that entire plate of yum. I dont have access to an oven for a while, so a treat like this is perfect for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HUGE fan of sweet potatoes and carrots - and love the idea of doing them together in a latke. Perfect recipe for this time of year and an awesome #SRC pick

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pinning- can't wait to try this :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This look like a wonderful recipe! Love potato pancakes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lisa,
    What a great choice to make! I love what you did with the recipe and may have to try it following your recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum yum yum! I love potato pancakes, and this option is so much healthier and looks like it is full of awesome flavor. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. These sound delicious, especially having the yummy egg on top.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a colorful, flavorful twist to potato pancakes. Love the sweet potato, carrot and cinnamon combo.

    ReplyDelete
  11. this sounds so good! great choice :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a great side dish. I like the idea of carrot and sweet potato together.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Lisa ! I've just tried this particular recipe following the exact steps, and found it rather disappointing. Seems that you missed the step of removing the excess water off the shredded sweet potato and carrot (like the one you wrote on the other recipe, Zucchini Noodles Aglio et Olio). I'd hope that you'd write it down here to, so that others won't end up with a blobbery, watery latkes like I did. Thank you so much though !

    ReplyDelete

I love and adore your wonderful comments, so please don't be shy and let me know that you visited.

I also love responding to your comments but I can't do that if you're a no-reply blogger. Please link your e-mail up to your profile so that I can reply to you.

It's a simple change and here's how you do it.

1. From your PROFILE, go to your DASHBOARD.
2. Go to EDIT PROFILE
3. Click 'SHARE MY PROFILE'
4. Click 'SHOW MY E-MAIL ADDRESS'
5. Enter in your e-mail address.

Easy-peasy and now I can reply to all your e-mails and questions!

Related Posts with Thumbnails