Today is a triple special day, it's my A-Maisie-ing Maisie's eighth birthday, it’s Improv Cooking Challenge reveal day AND after weeks of neglect I'm finally adding a new recipe to the blog. How appropriate is it that this month for the Improv Cooking Challenge our hostess Kristen of Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker challenged the participating bloggers to make any recipe of their choosing using the specified ingredients of cake & frosting! She must have known that it was my girl's day and that she adores cake and frosting.
Of course Maisie with her allergies, I had to make her special treats gluten, egg & dairy free...but still delicious. These cupcakes were a big hit with my girl and since I made them just for her, I only frosted one and then wrapped and put the extras in the freezer to be thawed, frosted and enjoyed another day.
- 1 1/2 cups pitted dates
- 1 1/2 cup unsweetened chocolate almond milk
- 1/4 cup coconut cream
- 2 tsp. vanilla bean paste
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 5 TBS. Hershey's Special Dark unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
Preheat oven to 350F.
Using a food processor, combine the dates, almond milk, coconut cream & vanilla bean paste, pulsing until you have a smooth and creamy paste. In a separate bowl whisk together the rice flour, corn starch, cocoa powder, baking powder & salt. add the wet to the dry ingredients. Beat the mixture by hand for two minutes. Portion the batter into 4-6 cupcake liners.
Bake 15-20 minutes, until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting. To make frosting, stir together the desired amount of Marshmallow Fluff and flavor to taste with cocoa powder and a pinch of salt. Pipe frosting onto cupcake and decorate with sprinkles.
My previous Improv Cooking Challenge entries:
- September 2013 Macaroni & Cheese: Creamy Mac & Cheese, Gluten, Egg & Dairy Free
- August 2013 Vanilla & Chocolate: Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispy Treats with Vanilla Coconut Frosting
- July 2013 Peaches & Herbs: Peachy Cola Ribs
- June 2013 Fish & Chips: Salt & Vinegar Crab Cakes
- May 2013 Cinnamon & Sugar: Cinnamon Bun Cookie Bars
- April 2013 Bacon & Eggs: Mini Bacon & Swiss Quiche Cups
- March 2013 Carrots & Peas: Mom’s Beef Vegetable Soup
- February 2013 Hearts & Flours: Three Ingredient Fudgy Nutella Brownie Bites
- January 2013 Bananas & Nutmeg: Baked Bananas
- December 2012 Chocolate & Marshmallows: White Chocolate Marshmallow Cranberry Cashew Bark
- November 2012 Sweet Potatoes & honey: Sweet Potato Glass Noodles with Honey Garlic Lime Shrimp
- October 2012 Oatmeal & Raisins: S’mores Granola Bars
- September 2012 Zucchini & Brown Sugar: Zucchini with Onion & Brown Sugar
- August 2012 Tomatoes & Peppers: French Fries Hash Browns
- July 2012 Corn & Butter: Fritos Crusted Pollock
- June 2012 Cherries & Almonds: Dried Cherry Almond Tart
- May 2012 Strawberries & Cream: Strawberry Soup
- April 2012 Peanut butter & Jelly: Peanut Butter & Jelly Bars
- March 2012 Potato & Cheese: Loaded Potato & Buffalo Chicken Casserole
- February 2012 Ginger & Carrots: Shrimp & Avocado Salad with Carrot Ginger Dressing
- January 2012 Lemon & Sour Cream: Ponderosa Lemon & Sour Cream Tart
- December 2011 Eggnog & Cranberries: Eggnog Popovers with Cranberry Butter
- November 2011 Pumpkin & Cream Cheese: Praline Pumpkin Cheesecake
- October 2011 Caramel & Apples: Caramel Stuffed Apple Cider Cookies