Monday, October 3, 2011

Uncle Bubba’s Shrimp & Grits

After our recent cruise we decided to make the drive home via Savannah and take a little detour for a great dinner at Uncle Bubba’s Oyster House.  We’ve never been to Savannah but I had heard wonderful things about the restaurant so we gave it a try and all of our meals were wonderful.  Maisie had the children’s fish fingers which was some of the best fish & chips I’ve ever had, Eammon enjoyed a meal of perfectly blackened scallops and I, the northerner who has never acquired a taste for grits decided to order the Shrimp & Grits because I had heard such great things about the dish.  All I can say is WOW, am I ever glad that I decided to give grits another try and get this dish because it was off-the-charts wonderful.  I will say that it was also off the charts rich so I ended up bringing most of it home but it sure made a great late night snack after the long drive and what was left after my snack was just as delicious eaten cold the next morning for breakfast.  I really loved the dish so I had to look it up on line to see if I could find it and as luck would have it, it’s this month’s featured recipe on Uncle Bubba’s website so I was happy and it must have been meant for me to get the recipe. 

Honestly though, between all the butter, bacon and heavy cream of course this dish would be wonderful but I’ll tell you, it was worth every.single.fat calorie!!  I will be making this dish down the road but I first need to do a bit of detoxing from a week of cruise food, sugar & excess topped off by Uncle Bubba’s Shrimp & Grits.

photo (2) e Uncle Bubba’s Shrimp & Grits (recipe from Uncle Bubba’s Oyster House)

Grits:
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
2 teaspoons salt
2 cups quick grits

Gravy:
1/4 cup chopped bacon
1/2 cup diced onion
2 tablespoons each, diced red and green bell peppers
1/4 cup diced leek
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
36 medium shrimp, peeled, tails removed, and deveined
3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 quart heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

Directions:

In a medium saucepan on medium-high heat, bring 6 cups water, the butter, and salt to a boil. Slowly whisk in the grits. Continue whisking occasionally for about 5 minutes, until the grits are thick and tender. Remove from the heat and keep warm.

For the gravy, sauté the bacon in a large heavy saucepan over medium-high heat until the fat is rendered. Stir in the onion, peppers, leek, and garlic and cook until soft. Add the shrimp and stir to combine. Sprinkle in the flour, and stir, making sure all the flour is well incorporated. Add the wine and cream, stirring well until the sauce has thickened. In a small bottle or bowl, mix the salt, pepper, and garlic powder and season the gravy to taste.

Serve the shrimp gravy over grits.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Yee-um! I must make this, but I would put it over rice. Do you think it would still be as good?

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, yeah it looks pretty good..I'm from the Coastal area of Se North Carolina, and was raised on both Seafood and Grits, and can tell you that you could probably make your own version of Shrimp and Grits, and bring it much closer to your personal taste and liking..though, I'm sure Uncle Bubba's is delicious.
    There are more recipes for shrimp and grits than there are for banana puddings probably if the truth be known. I never add the heavy cream, though I always cook my grits very creamy, by adding more water than is called for, and simmering it longer...usually around 15 minutes...I don't really have a set recipe on Grits, as when you grow up having them at every breakfast, and one grandma even having a pot of cold ones left over on the stove top all day...it's one of those things you just naturally throw together. I developed my personal taste by just cooking them, as though I love them pretty much anyway, I prefer them creamy.There are runny grits, witch I hate...then the thick grits, like my granny I spoke of made...then there are the ones that I cook...which when completed will look as they will be runny grits...but,when you simmer them longer as I said...and they don't get too thick...when you pour them onto the plate and they begin to cool, they sort of gel...(probably from starch reduction)anyway...just thought I would comment on your beautiful Ginger Snap Chocolate Chips...and I will be trying them, and let you know based on what I see of your cooking...you'll be able to create your own delicious Shrimp and Grits Recipe...Or just google it, as there are many different low country variations. I made a ginger/ginger snap banana pudding a couple of weeks ago...It was awesome if I do say so myself. lol Bless You
    paul keep up the wonderful looking site

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE Shrimp and Grits! My favorite is from The City Grocery in Oxford, MS. You can find it online, I am sure. Also, had one earlier this year that was prepared more like a casserole...it had Rotel and velveeta in it! Delicious!!

    ReplyDelete

I love and adore your wonderful comments, so please don't be shy and let me know that you visited.

I also love responding to your comments but I can't do that if you're a no-reply blogger. Please link your e-mail up to your profile so that I can reply to you.

It's a simple change and here's how you do it.

1. From your PROFILE, go to your DASHBOARD.
2. Go to EDIT PROFILE
3. Click 'SHARE MY PROFILE'
4. Click 'SHOW MY E-MAIL ADDRESS'
5. Enter in your e-mail address.

Easy-peasy and now I can reply to all your e-mails and questions!

Related Posts with Thumbnails