Friday, November 4, 2011

Mango Upside Down Cake

IMG_8843eI love mangoes and dishes which use mangoes so when I saw this cake recipe on Priyanka’s Buon Appetito blog I knew that I needed to make it.  I loved making this in my big old cast iron skillet and it worked out so well.

IMG_8832eCaramel and mango slices ready for the cake batter.

IMG_8834eCarefully spooning the batter over the caramel and mango slices.

IMG_8842eDelicious sticky caramelized mango cake straight from the oven.  The cake was moist and had a nice flavor but I really enjoyed the edges of the cake which were nice and chewy with the caramel.

IMG_8847eMango Upside Down Cake (Adapted from here)

For caramel:
1/2 cup water
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 TBS. butter
1 medium mango, skin & seed removed and sliced

For Cake:
1 medium mango, skin & seed removed and chunked
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
4 TBS butter, softened
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp. almond extract
1 cup flour
1 TBS baking powder
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg 

Preheat oven to 400F.

To make the caramel, heat the water, lemon juice and sugar in a cast iron skillet.  Cook until the mixture caramelizes. Cut the mangoes into strips. After the caramel cools down slightly place the mango strips on top of the caramel in a single layer.

In a food processor blend together the mango and sugar till it forms a smooth mango pulp. Using a stand mixer, whisk the eggs until fluffy. To the egg add the smooth mango pulp and blend.  Add the softened butter, oil and almond extract and blend to mix.  Remove the bowl from the mixer and add the flour, baking powder and grated nutmeg and  thoroughly mix using a spatula until it forms a smooth mixture.

Carefully spoon the mango batter over the caramel and mango.  Place in a preheated oven and bake for about 45-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 5 minutes then turn it out onto a serving dish.

Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. Mmm, wishing I could taste a slice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa,
    Thanks dear, I feel so honored.
    Your cake looks lovely...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I've never had a mango upside down cake but mango is my favorite! Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely magnificent. I love mango.

    Come one over and pick this up, please. You so deserve it.
    http://bizzybakesb.blogspot.com/2011/11/award-roasted-potatoes-in-honey-mustard.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! I want to try this too, looks super yummy :)

    ReplyDelete

I love and adore your wonderful comments, so please don't be shy and let me know that you visited.

I also love responding to your comments but I can't do that if you're a no-reply blogger. Please link your e-mail up to your profile so that I can reply to you.

It's a simple change and here's how you do it.

1. From your PROFILE, go to your DASHBOARD.
2. Go to EDIT PROFILE
3. Click 'SHARE MY PROFILE'
4. Click 'SHOW MY E-MAIL ADDRESS'
5. Enter in your e-mail address.

Easy-peasy and now I can reply to all your e-mails and questions!

Related Posts with Thumbnails