I totally admit that I have no earthly clue on how to make a big ol’ bowl of collards look beautiful in a picture, but what I do know is how to make them taste amazing! This recipe takes five minutes of hands on work, 20 minutes in the pressure cooker and then you’ll be eating some of the most delicious collards you’ve ever tried. Though I do love me some southern collards rich with bacon, ham hocks and butter, this recipe is much more diet friendly and so packed with delicious flavor, I don’t even for a moment miss those other ingredients. I hope that you’ll give this recipe a try and trust me, you’ll be licking the bowl.
- 1 lb. fresh collard greens, washed & cut into 2-inch wide pieces (I used a bag of washed and cut ~ ready to go)
- 1/2 cup chicken stock, can use beef stock or vegetable stock
- 1 TBS. olive oil, or oil of your choice
- 1 1/2 TBS. tomato paste
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 TBS. Whey Low Gold or brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup medium diced sweet onion
- 6 large garlic cloves, minced
Add the stock, olive oil, tomato paste, balsamic vinegar, Whey Low Gold, salt & pepper to the pressure cooker and stir to mix. Stir in the onion and garlic. Add the collard greens and seal the pressure cooker. Over high heat bring to full pressure and then reduce temperature to low. Cook for 20 minutes. Remove the pressure cooker from the heat and either run it under cold water or release the steam via the valve. Open and stir to coat all the collards with the sauce.