Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Double Chocolate Meyer Lemon Mousse Cake

IMG_3150eIt’s Crazy Cooking Challenge time again and this month our hostess Tina of Moms Crazy Cooking challenged the participating bloggers to search non-celebrity blogs looking for the ultimate chocolate cake recipe.  Once we find what we think is the ultimate recipe we are to make and feature that recipe and the blog where we found it.  I posted recently in my Dark Chocolate Dipped Candied Lemon Peel post that since making my Ponderosa Lemon & Sour Cream Tart I’ve been on a major lemon kick so when I saw Mimi’s Double Chocolate Tangerine Mousse Cake I knew immediately that I could tweak the recipe a bit switching out the tangerine for lemon and I could get my tangy lemon fix, still meet the requirements of making a chocolate cake while also making the ultimate chocolate cake.

IMG_3146eThis cake used both white and dark chocolate and that combined with tangy lemon, well it was exactly what I had been craving.  The chocolate cake is flourless so it’s dense and rich.  The mousse uses gelatin which is something that I haven’t done before but it seemed to help the mousse keep it’s shape but the mousse remained light, soft, rich and creamy.  Everyone who tried the cake thought it was beautiful and adored the rich flavors…and they were rich so small slices are a must.  If you adore dark chocolate and lemon like we do, I think you will find this to be a favorite in your home too.

My previous Crazy Cooking Challenge entries:
Chicken Noodle Soup Challenge: Thai Chicken Noodle Soup
Fudge Challenge: Biscoff Fudge
Mashed Potato Challenge: Aloo Tikki
Chocolate Chip Cookie Challenge: Chocolate Chip Gingersnaps
Mac & Cheese Challenge: Velvety Mac & Cheese 

IMG_3149eDouble Chocolate Meyer Lemon Mousse Cake  (Adapted from here)

Cake
1 cup butter
9 oz. dark chocolate chips
3/4 cup sugar
5 large eggs
1/2 cup ground toasted walnuts

Mousse
1 cup fresh Meyer lemon juice
1/3 cup lemon sugar syrup from making the Dark Chocolate Dipped Candied Lemon Peel
2 1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
12 oz. white chocolate chips 
6 TBS sour cream
2 cups chilled whipping cream

Garnish:
Dark Chocolate Dipped Candied Lemon Peel
walnut halves, toasted

For Cake:
Preheat oven to 325°F. Butter an 8-inch round cake pan with cutter and then dust with cocoa powder.  Melt the butter and chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl, checking and stirring often until smooth.  Whisk in the sugar, eggs and ground nuts. Pour the batter into prepared pan. Bake the cake until a toothpick inserted into center comes out with very moist crumbs attached, about 45 minutes. Cool completely on rack (cake will fall and crack).  Once cool, using the pan’s cutter release the cake from the pan.

Lightly brush the sides of a 10-inch springform pan with vegetable oil. Set the cooled cake in center of pan (there will be space around cake that will be filled in with mousse). Refrigerate cake.

For Mousse:
Place 3 TBS of the lemon juice in a small bowl and sprinkle in the gelatin. Let stand for 10 minutes to allow the gelatin to soften.  Meanwhile, simmer the remaining lemon juice and lemon sugar syrup, stirring until combined, about 3 minutes.  Add the gelatin mixture to the lemon juice mixture and stir to dissolve.  Add 12 ounces white chocolate and whisk over low heat just until melted.  Remove from heat and whisk in the sour cream. Pour the lemon white chocolate mixture into a large bowl. Chill the mixture until cool and thickened but not set, whisking occasionally, about 1 hour 45 minutes.

Beat the chilled whipping cream to stiff peaks. Fold into the lemon white chocolate mixture. Pour the mousse over the chocolate cake in the springform pan, covering the top and sides completely. Refrigerate cake overnight.

Run a small sharp knife around pan sides to loosen cake. Release pan sides. Place cake on platter. Garnish as desired.

Enjoy!

Photobucket

70 comments:

  1. Would not have thought to make this sort of cake for the challenge... glad you did though! Looks very tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, that looks really delicious - not a combination I would ever have thought of, but I want to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a professional and delicious looking cake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning! It makes my cake look like kids play ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! Can you just pass me a slice now, please! I've been really good, all day! My two favorite flavors in one place, I don't know if I can stand it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa

    Your cake pictures are gorgeous!

    It has crossed my mind to pair lemon with chocolate, but I have not been brave enough.

    With this recipe I may have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I never would have though to pair lemon with chocolate. Looks absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job, your cake looks amazing!!! I made the Black Magic Cake w/ White Chocolate Buttercream Icing. Also, I would love for you to visit my new food blog, The Sweet Spot, and link up your recipes to my Mouthwatering Monday Link Party!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous Gorgeous Cake! Great Job!!!

    Please stop on by #62 :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a breathtakingly lovely cake! It sounds delicious too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG, I am not making that. I would eat the whole thing. :P

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, so much chocolate! When we want a chocolate cake, we use my Mother-In-Law's chocolate sheet cake. Made with lots of cocoa, frosting that melts when the cake is hot, then hardens...... and sometimes called Texas Sheet cake - very yummy!

    Alyzabeth's Mommy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow!! What a beautiful looking cake. I thought lemon & chocolate cake sounded a little different, but it seriously looks delectable. Great job combining an unexpected flavour combination. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your cake is very professional looking. you did a great job. and sure it is delish. andi

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks divine! Lemon desserts are my favorite! Stopping by from the CCC (#31).

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your beautiful presentation!
    Such a gorgeous cake!

    ReplyDelete
  17. love the lemon and chocolate combo.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful cake! I'm not really big on chocolate, but this is a flavor combination I'd love to try.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I loooveee lemon. Citrus and lemon are a great combo, the cake looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
  20. this looks divine! I would love a bite :) PS I cannot comment with my wordpress ID!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is beautiful looking. I would hate to eat it. But somehow I'd make the sacrifice! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. This looks gorgeous. Really one to impress people with!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lemon and chocolate? Sounds like the best of both worlds--chocolate for my hubby and lemon for me! I'll have to keep this recipe in mind for the future...our Meyer lemon tree is just a baby and had only ONE lemon for us this past year!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, your cake turned out gorgeous!! Sounds yummy!

    http://kaylasmalltownlife.blogspot.com/2012/02/black-magic-cake-with-pb-frosting.html

    ReplyDelete
  25. That sounds absolutely divine! I adore meyer lemons, I just might have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is GORGEOUS, Lisa! I remember a chef pal telling me that lemon and chocolate should not be paired. Are you kidding me? I will send him this as proof that not only is it a great pairing, but look at how beautiful! I still need to try a meyer lemon lol

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lovely presentation! Glad I visited.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow! Your cake looks amazing! Love the dark chocolate dipped candied lemon peel!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Never would've thought to put lemon and chocolate together - it's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow this looks so good!! I'm sure that the lemon with the chocolate would be delicious!! Stopping by from CCC#45.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Lisa, thanks for stopping by! Your cake and your photography is amazing! Great post! Now following!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your cake looks absolutely amazing! Brava! Nettie

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is definitely a cake I would enjoy -- lemon and chocolate -- sublime! Glad you tweaked it. Thanks for stopping by. It's a great Challenge, this month, and soooo many chocolate cakes should take care of all the chocoholics! Feel free to visit, anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh my goodness that looks absolutely amazing! I also have a love for lemon! I think I just found a treat for the spring! Thank you for sharing and stopping by A Little Treat!

    ReplyDelete
  35. The combination of lemon and chocolate sounds so intriguing and your cake and photography are just absolutely breathtaking! Awesome ... wow.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Lemon and chocolate, interesting. I would never have thought of that combination. I will have to try this cake. Your cake turned out so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  37. What an intriguing combination. I am going to have to try this. Thanks for stopping by at A House and Yard.

    ReplyDelete
  38. This is such an interesting combination of tastes. I love the addition of meyer lemon. You really outdid yourself on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  39. What a lovely combination! This must be a chocolate cake you eat without that feeling that you've eaten too much! Thanks for visiting my blog! Am following you on Connect and just about everything else now!! Lin xx

    ReplyDelete
  40. Wow! I would never think to put lemon with chocolate but I'll have to try it sometime. And it looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I have those same plates! This sounds like such an interesting combination, I never would have thought about it. However, your mouthwatering pictures may have me convinced to try something new. :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Lisa, what a unique and delicious twist on a chocolate cake. That lemon mousse layer sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Hi Lisa,
    What a beautiful presentation for your wonderful cake. Thanks for sharing and hope you have a wonderful week!
    Miz Helen
    #7

    ReplyDelete
  44. I would have never thought to make this kind of cake for the challenge, but boy does it look good. It's gluten free to boot! Pinning this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  45. This just may be the most beautiful chocolate cake I've seen yet! Seriously. Wow never would have thought of this combo. I am really loving lemon lately too, great pick for the challenge! And thanks for stopping by and checking out my cake too :)

    ReplyDelete
  46. Beautiful cake and great photos. I've got to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Oh wow! That is just AMAZING!! I have to make this a special occasion cake!

    ReplyDelete
  48. I wouldn't have thought of combining chocolate and lemon, but it actually seems like a winning idea!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Lisa, this is a great Cake, I love the lemon with the Chocolate. Hope you have a fabulous week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  50. OMG! Give me a slice or two now please.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Looks divine. Thanks for sharing with Simply Delish.

    ReplyDelete
  52. That looks so yummy and would surely like to try it..

    Visiting for FTF! Hope you can stop by:)

    http://www.mommys4seasonsjourney.com/2012/02/meat-loaf.html

    ReplyDelete
  53. oh my word, this looks so good! thank you for linking to foodie friday! Not Your Ordinary Agent
    Not Your Ordinary Recipes

    ReplyDelete
  54. This is a beautiful, and very original cake! I am a new follower! Patsy

    ReplyDelete
  55. My mouth is watering just looking at this cake. I love the combination of lemon and chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  56. Wow this looks absolutely beautiful! And lemon and chocolate are such a great combination!

    ReplyDelete
  57. I love your take on this cake.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  58. Wow, that cake looks incredible. I'm saving this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  59. /this cake not only looks absolutely delicious, but beautiful as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  60. Beautiful cake!! Looks like something you would find in the finest bakery.

    ReplyDelete
  61. Wow! Over the top chocolate and lemon-my favorite flavors. You did a wonderful job with the recipe and the cake is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  62. Stunning...It REALLY looks delicious! I'm intrigued with the lemon-chocolate combo too! Love them both so I'm sure it's a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  63. Oh that is so gorgeous! I love the use of lemons with it.

    ReplyDelete
  64. Love your Lemon Mousse cake, it looks awesome. Great post!

    ReplyDelete

I love and adore your wonderful comments, so please don't be shy and let me know that you visited.

I also love responding to your comments but I can't do that if you're a no-reply blogger. Please link your e-mail up to your profile so that I can reply to you.

It's a simple change and here's how you do it.

1. From your PROFILE, go to your DASHBOARD.
2. Go to EDIT PROFILE
3. Click 'SHARE MY PROFILE'
4. Click 'SHOW MY E-MAIL ADDRESS'
5. Enter in your e-mail address.

Easy-peasy and now I can reply to all your e-mails and questions!

Related Posts with Thumbnails