Sunday, July 24, 2011

Long Beans with Garlic

Maisie and I picked some gorgeous long beans from our garden and we couldn’t wait to enjoy them. 

IMG_9162eOne of my favorite ways to enjoy long beans is the way we make them when we’re in Aruba with my parents (very limited pantry items) and that is sautéed simply with butter and lots of garlic. Such a simple way to prepare the beans and oh-so delicious.  In this recipe I use a good amount of garlic but I cook it so that it has that mellow roasted garlic flavor so it adds a nice sweet buttery garlic taste to the beans.  For many this preparation will seem like I use too much butter and way too much garlic but that’s just how we roll with this recipe.  Also, see those slightly toasted creamy bits of garlic, well I could just spread that on everything I eat and be in heaven, it’s so delicious!

Long beans are very thin so they sauté up quickly and because we like our beans to still have a bit of bite, there’s no need to steam or cook the beans further but if you substitute regular string beans you’d have to make some adjustments so that the beans cook to your degree of tenderness.

IMG_9153eLong Beans with Garlic

1 lb. long beans, trimmed and cut into 3-inch lengths
4 TBS. butter
2 heads garlic, peeled and minced
salt and fresh ground pepper

In a wok or large frying pan gently sauté the garlic in the butter over very low heat for about 5 minutes until the garlic is very tender but NOT toasted.  Turn the heat to high and add the beans and stir to coat with the garlic butter mixture.  Stirring a couple of time each minute, cook the beans on high heat for about 4 minutes then remove from the heat. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes before serving. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Enjoy

10 comments:

  1. I just don't think you can ever have too much butter or garlic in a recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm. I'll try this recipe. I received your seeds, by the way. Thank you. Now I just need to get them in the ground!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my... looks delish. Just looked at some of the recipes, now I am starving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crave worthy! Sauteed green beans are a favorite of mine. Such a fantastic side dish idea. Looks so delicious. The more garlic and butter the better. I will need to give this recipe a try. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're so lucky to have fresh long beans from your garden. I made something similar for dinner tonight using fresh green beans from my CSA box, olive oil and lots of fresh garlic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I kinda made these this week..I saw your recipe and M3's and kinda combined the 2 and added bacon:)
    LOVED them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, I made these tonight. Yum! I'll definitely make them again when I'm in a garlicky mood.

    Now here is my favorite green bean recipe (do you make this one?):

    par boil green beans if needed

    in 2 TBS butter and 2 TBS olive oil, saute two or three (or four) sliced shallots for about ten minutes until almost crispy

    add cooked green beans and sprinkle with Kosher salt

    This is our go-to recipe; we love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tasty! Love long beans and this is a great recipe but must disagree about cooking times. I like my veggies al dente too -- but five minutes is not long enough. They weren't 'firm', they were crunchy and barely done and in the meantime, the garlic was getting a bit more browned than I would have liked. I had to finish them in the microwave. Next time, I'll microwave them first to soften them up just a teeny bit and THEN I'll saute them with the butter and garlic.

    ReplyDelete

I love and adore your wonderful comments, so please don't be shy and let me know that you visited.

I also love responding to your comments but I can't do that if you're a no-reply blogger. Please link your e-mail up to your profile so that I can reply to you.

It's a simple change and here's how you do it.

1. From your PROFILE, go to your DASHBOARD.
2. Go to EDIT PROFILE
3. Click 'SHARE MY PROFILE'
4. Click 'SHOW MY E-MAIL ADDRESS'
5. Enter in your e-mail address.

Easy-peasy and now I can reply to all your e-mails and questions!

Related Posts with Thumbnails