Thursday, July 21, 2011

Piggy-Out Cookies

I was of course reading through some of my favorite cooking blogs and on Haley’s The Girly Girl Cooks I came across a recipe for Pig-Out Cookies which are chocolate chip cookies with BACON!!!  Now bacon added to sweet foods seems to be a really hot thing to do right now but I’ve always sort of said to myself…”WHY???”  Something though with this recipe just screamed, MAKE ME!!! So I did and now I know the answer to “why” bacon is the hot new trend in sweet foods as these cookies totally rocked and everyone who tried them just couldn’t stop having just.one.more so we did pig-out on the piggy cookies. 

IMG_8738eI didn’t notice this until I uploaded my pictures but doesn’t that cookie on the right sort of look like a cute little piggy face??

When I first read through the recipe I thought that the relatively small amount of chocolate wouldn’t be enough but I used just the 1/3 of a cup listed and trust me when I say, it was the perfect amount.  I actually loved that these cookies weren’t chock full of chocolate as they were so incredibly rich and the flavor so intriguing that more chocolate would have spoiled the balance.  Speaking of balance, the cookies weren’t overly chocolaty, or peanut buttery or bacon(y), the cinnamon and chili powder were there but the cookies weren’t spicy…these were perfectly balanced and wonderful cookies and I’ll be making them again and again.  

IMG_8731eMy adorable, talented and always willing helper Maisie Miao Maio.

Piggy-Out Cookies (Adapted from here)

1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp cinnamon
pinch of chile powder
1/4 tsp Kosher salt
5 strips of cooked bacon, diced or crumbled (I used hickory smoked) ~ plus more for the cook and helper to snack on
2 tbsp reserved bacon fat drippings (see that container behind the butter, well I keep bacon dripping in my freezer and every time I make bacon I just add to my stash)
4 TBS butter (room temperature)
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chunks

Preheat the oven to 350F and line two baking sheets with a Silpat or parchment paper.

In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, chile powder and salt. With a stand mixer, beat the butter, peanut butter and reserved bacon fat drippings on medium-high until smooth, about 1 minute. Add the white and brown sugars and beat until creamy, about 4 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Add the egg and vanilla and continue beating about 2 minutes.

Reduce the speed of the mixer to low and add the flour mixture. Mix until just combined and then by hand stir in the chocolate chunks and crispy bacon.  Using a medium scoop portion out the cookies onto prepared baking sheets. (I got 22 cookies)  Flatten the cookie balls slightly with your fingers and then bake for 12-14 minutes until golden brown. Let the cookies cool for about 2 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring to a cooling rack. The cookies were wonderful when they were still a bit warm from the oven but I preferred them even more the next day.  I stored them in a zipper bag in the fridge over night and the next day were awesome, a bit crispy around the edges and chewy in the middle.  I’m telling you, make these cookies then pour yourself a giant glass of milk and prepare to pig-out on these seriously sinful cookies.

Enjoy!

IMG_8741e

6 comments:

  1. My family's annual pig roast is coming up soon, maybe I should bring these for dessert! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. EVERYTHING BACON!!!

    And someday, try some chocolate covered bacon, really, the sweet and salty is wonderful.

    Terrific looking blog. Glad I found you and you are right, what a great photo

    ReplyDelete
  3. those cookies look awesome. I would like to try using bacon fat in cookies sometime soon - just for the novelty (read: I wouldn't be allowed to do it on a regular basis).

    Actually cooking bacon in my home is such a rarity, we wouldn't be able to "stash" the drippings. Besides, I might have accidentally fried my bread in it after making the eggs. Wouldn't want it to go to waste. Granny taught me well :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maisie looks cuter by the day! Oh, and these cookies...I can tell they're a big hit where you are :-).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I looked at the cookie, and to me it reminds me of the apple face dolls I made years ago. You kinda molded the apple and let it dry! too cool. I think I would like to try on of these cookies. Maybe I will make them soon thanks for the post Andi

    ReplyDelete

I love and adore your wonderful comments, so please don't be shy and let me know that you visited.

I also love responding to your comments but I can't do that if you're a no-reply blogger. Please link your e-mail up to your profile so that I can reply to you.

It's a simple change and here's how you do it.

1. From your PROFILE, go to your DASHBOARD.
2. Go to EDIT PROFILE
3. Click 'SHARE MY PROFILE'
4. Click 'SHOW MY E-MAIL ADDRESS'
5. Enter in your e-mail address.

Easy-peasy and now I can reply to all your e-mails and questions!

Related Posts with Thumbnails