Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Roasted Enoki

IMG_9236eI am very fussy with mushrooms as I’m not a lover of the ones which have a real strong earthy mushroom taste but enoki mushrooms are delicate, sweet and delicious so they’re a favorite in our house.  We love them both raw on a salad like my Thai Peanut Salad or cooked in a variety of ways.

IMG_9225eI noticed that I had three packages of enoki in my refrigerator and I wanted to do something different so I went “shopping” in my pantry.  I found a long forgotten bottle of Zinfandel vinegar that years ago a friend had given to me as a gift and I thought that I could work with that.  I then spied a still unopened bottle of dried fire roasted tomatoes which I had picked up a few weeks ago on a clearance rack thinking that they would be interesting sprinkled on a salad or added to other recipes, so I grabbed that too.  Initially I was going to do a quick stir fry but as I had potatoes roasting in the oven I figured, why dirty a wok when I can just as easily roast the enoki quickly in the oven in a foil packet and have zero clean-up. Win-Win!!

IMG_9229eThe enoki smelled heavenly when I opened the packet.  The sweetness of the Zinfandel, the freshness of the enoki and the tiny bit of tomato, a wonderful and perfect combination.  The enoki were extremely tender yet just the tiniest bit chewy and Maisie thought she was eating pasta.  We all enjoyed this recipe and as it’s so simple to make and no clean-up, I’ll be making it again and again.

  IMG_9245eRoasted Enoki

3 6-oz. packages fresh enoki 
1 TBS. butter
1 1/2 TBS. Zinfandel vinegar
1 tsp. dried fire roasted tomatoes
pink sea salt, to taste
fresh ground pepper, to taste

Pre-heat oven to 400F. Lay the enoki onto the center of a large piece of heavy duty foil.  Dot with butter, drizzle on the vinegar and season with the fire roasted tomatoes, salt & pepper. Seal foil tightly into a packet and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes. Serve immediately.

Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. At first, I thought the enoki were pasta too! This sounds like a great dish =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never even seen enoki before. I'm certain my grocery store does not carry them. Do you buy find them at your regular grocery, or speciality shop?

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look absolutely gorgeous. I've never tried enoki mushrooms but I'm going to look out for them

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmmm...I've seen enoki in the marki, but have never purchased any. I'm a huge fan of mushrooms, so I MUST try your recipe...YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never eaten enoki alone...I usually throw it into a stir fry or a soup...but these look just beautiful--and perfectly content by themselves ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh beautiful, I have seen these in Asian grocery stores but had no idea what to do with them. Awesome recipe.

    ReplyDelete

I love and adore your wonderful comments, so please don't be shy and let me know that you visited.

I also love responding to your comments but I can't do that if you're a no-reply blogger. Please link your e-mail up to your profile so that I can reply to you.

It's a simple change and here's how you do it.

1. From your PROFILE, go to your DASHBOARD.
2. Go to EDIT PROFILE
3. Click 'SHARE MY PROFILE'
4. Click 'SHOW MY E-MAIL ADDRESS'
5. Enter in your e-mail address.

Easy-peasy and now I can reply to all your e-mails and questions!

Related Posts with Thumbnails