Saturday, July 30, 2011

Red Chinese Long Bean with Peppers & Red Curry

Recently one of my neighbors visited a local farmer’s market and came home with a big bunch of Red Chinese Long Beans but when their college aged boys laid eyes on them and saw the color they said no way to eating them.  Well their loss was our gain as a big part of the beans made their way to my kitchen. 

IMG_9030eLook at the gorgeous color in these beans, how could anyone say no way??

IMG_9036eAfter a quick check of my pantry I decided to do a little Thai red curry stir fry with mini-orange peppers and basil (fresh from my garden).

IMG_9052Red Chinese Long Beans with Peppers & Red Curry

1 lb. Red Chinese Long Beans, cut into 3-inch lengths
8 mini orange sweet peppers, julienned
2 TBS. peanut oil (or oil of your choice)
1 TBS. Red Curry Paste 
1/2 cup water
1 packet stevia, or 1 tsp sugar
1 TBS fish sauce 
juice of 1 lime
1/2 cup packed fresh basil leaves

Heat the oil in a wok on high heat. While the oil is heating, stir together the Red Curry Paste, water, stevia and fish sauce and set aside.  Once the oil is hot add in the beans and stir a few times a minute for about 3 minutes.  Add the sweet peppers and continue cooking for an additional 3 minutes stirring a few times per minute.  Add the Red Curry mix and stir to coat the beans well and cook for an additional minute or two until the beans are cooked to the degree of tenderness desired.  Add the basil leaves and stir them in so that they quickly wilt and soften.

Enjoy!

IMG_9043e

4 comments:

  1. Indeed! How could they turn their noses up at these beans. They look gorgeous. I would love to eat this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boys and not knowing what's good for them. Haha! I love what you did with them. The red beans are a new to me ingredient. I would love to give this a try. It looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew the green version of those lovely long beans in my garden last year. They are now my favorite green bean. I am excited to look for the reds. What a great curry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, these red Chinese long beans are gorgeous - I've never seen them before. I love Thai red curry, what a nice way to cook these special beans (you're lucky your friends' boys didn't know what they were missing out on!).

    ReplyDelete

I love and adore your wonderful comments, so please don't be shy and let me know that you visited.

I also love responding to your comments but I can't do that if you're a no-reply blogger. Please link your e-mail up to your profile so that I can reply to you.

It's a simple change and here's how you do it.

1. From your PROFILE, go to your DASHBOARD.
2. Go to EDIT PROFILE
3. Click 'SHARE MY PROFILE'
4. Click 'SHOW MY E-MAIL ADDRESS'
5. Enter in your e-mail address.

Easy-peasy and now I can reply to all your e-mails and questions!

Related Posts with Thumbnails